Montreal MLS Team 2021 Season

Big_M

On 8/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, narduch said:

I wish TSN would pick up more of their games.

Their rights are held by TVA sport (Peladeau’s company)and they have been at the throats of Bell media for years.  And so has Peladeau.  This may explain why you dont see their games on TV.  Even if Bell has the english language rights,  would they allow them to broadcast in the quebec market?  And even if they didnt,  what kind of audience is TSN going to get without the numbers from Quebec?   MLS, much like the NBA but to a smaller scale,  are regional sports.  Plus the english langauge market in quebec (ie.: the ones that are not fluently bilingual) is really small and getting very old.  Thats not what advertisers like. 

This is all conjecture on my part, of course.   But if i am not sure for an explanation on something, i will just follow the money to come up with an explanation, and you’ll be very rarely wrong when you do. Audience=Money.  

edit.; on further note, in a roundabout way,  the phenomena i mentioned above is what really killed the Expos.  They could not get a national rights deal in Canada.  Even in 1994 when they had the best record in Baseball and went to out try and get national broadcast deal.  There were other factors at the time of course.   

Edited by Free kick

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

Their rights are held by TVA sport (Peladeau’s company)and they have been at the throats of Bell media for years.  And so has Peladeau.  This may explain why you dont see their games on TV.  Even if Bell has the english language rights,  would they allow them to broadcast in the quebec market?  And even if they didnt,  what kind of audience is TSN going to get without the numbers from Quebec?   MLS, much like the NBA but to a smaller scale,  are regional sports.  Plus the english langauge market in quebec (ie.: the ones that are not fluently bilingual) is really small and getting very old.  Thats not what advertisers like. 

This is all conjecture on my part, of course.   But if i am not sure for an explanation on something, i will just follow the money to come up with an explanation, and you’ll be very rarely wrong when you do. Audience=Money.  

edit.; on further note, in a roundabout way,  the phenomena i mentioned above is what really killed the Expos.  They could not get a national rights deal in Canada.  Even in 1994 when they had the best record in Baseball and went to out try and get national broadcast deal.  There were other factors at the time of course.   

The fact of the matter is TSN owns the English rights to Montreal games.

I'm fully aware of TVA Sports.

This team is really coming together, squad rotation is strong, replacements at each position.  Only real weakness is Camacho leading the CB's.  If they could just replace him with a solid veteran this team would be a real force, they're just getting better and more confident.

58 minutes ago, costarg said:

This team is really coming together, squad rotation is strong, replacements at each position.  Only real weakness is Camacho leading the CB's.  If they could just replace him with a solid veteran this team would be a real force, they're just getting better and more confident.

I think Yao and Ferdinand will be good for this team going forward.

3 hours ago, Ruud said:

Strange to hear that Henry is now assistant with Belgium.   Why did he leave again?   

anyways a blessing in disguise given how great Nancy is doing 

Official reason was he didn't want to spend another indefinite period stuck in the USA with covid travel restrictions.  Just like Patrice Bernier, he has a young family and didn't want to spend that much time away from them.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

My understanding he’s hurt 

Its amazing as he has been "hurt" since April.  Its going on six months and it was reported I believe initially as a groin strain.  Its almost like there is something else going on here.  Curious why no journalists have been asking questions about it.

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Gets the 4-2 win tonight against Orlando while starting 6 Canadians and subbing one more in for good measure.  

As someone without a geographic tie to any specific MLS team, Montreal definitely excites me more than their peers these days.  

You mean Canadians can play in MLS ????

hmmm wonder why Toronto isn’t trying this..

On 9/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, Chad_Impact said:

The team has closed section 132...aka banning the ultras. 

Pretty sad state of affairs with this new CFM. Either you’re onboard or you’ll be silenced. Seems to be the flavour of the month in this “new normal” society.  Dictatorships must be a Montreal thing. 

On 9/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, masster said:

What is the story behind this?

From what I’ve been reading on Twitter it’s because the Ultras continue to stand for their beliefs opposing the rebranding. Anything signs promoting Montreal Impact related, support for UM02 or calling for the termination of Gilmore is being stomped out by the Stade Saputo Security (the S.S.S.). 

it wouldn’t surprise me if they soon ban people for chanting IMPACT or wearing IMFC gear. 

i give credit to mtl for playing canadians,and playing well for the most part,but they are always fighting for a 6 or 7 seed and 3 or 4 of these guys are not a factor for the nats at this time,btw tfc suck this year,but without injuries i can see 3 to 4 canadians playing alot of min.

11 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

i give credit to mtl for playing canadians,and playing well for the most part,but they are always fighting for a 6 or 7 seed and 3 or 4 of these guys are not a factor for the nats at this time,btw tfc suck this year,but without injuries i can see 3 to 4 canadians playing alot of min.

If they had a real striker DP like they've had in the past I think they would be close to being an MLS Cup contender