TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

25 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

When you put it like that, I would agree. Maybe he is mostly financially set and is doing it for the love of the job and team.

He's supplementing his main job with freelance work for CBC and Sportsnet.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Loving it.  The guys who cheer for TFC to win regardless of CanCon may not like it but I couldn’t be happier.  Loved seeing the young guns in Mexico last week.  Let’s see if they can help get the job done for the “home” fixture.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Loving it.  The guys who cheer for TFC to win regardless of CanCon may not like it but I couldn’t be happier.  Loved seeing the young guns in Mexico last week.  Let’s see if they can help get the job done for the “home” fixture.  

Like my gramma always said, how do you know you dont like it until you've tried it?  I really hopes this happens and I really hope TFC/Armas is rewarded by some of the youngsters.  Maybe even sell some of the surplus players.  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Rutty is one I am def hoping to see more of this year.  Right now it is all hype for me so it would be interesting to see how he would play consistently against seasoned professionals.  

Same here, Nelsen too, I do wonder who starts tonight and if both were banged up and that’s why they weren’t on the bench.

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The thing I love about Armas playing the kids is that players like Endoh, Deleon, Mullins, etc, the usual subs during Vanney era have to step up, if they want game minutes. Which in turns further motivates TFC kids to be more hungry for game minutes.

A healthy competition is a good thing.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:06 AM, Ruffian said:

He is likely getting some kind of supplementary income from TFC to be their beat writer.

In fact he might be totally on the TFC payroll and TFC are doing this to help cover the costs of his writing.

I doubt he'd take money from TFC without some disclosure. He's a true journalist that way. Still, he might freelance with SportsNet, CBC, TSN and maybe the US networks (Fox etc..) who cover MLS. I don't think that's very lucrative, but if he's able to draw 500-1000 paid readers he might do OK. Molinaro's stuff is really good -- he's one of the most thoughtful writers in the Canadian soccer scene. I'd hope he would expand his view outside of TFC -- maybe over time. Let's see.

I wish him well in this and might subscribe. $50 to support a quality writer when the big media outlets are doing so little isn't too much in my eyes.

On 4/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, SoccMan said:

Lots to like. If our vets are injured, TFC is not bringing in anyone new, might as well. I'd rather see a bunch of green-ish, passionate and talented (if unrefined) young players who give a damn than vets who aren't in shape and might be a little unmotivated by the situation (which is awful for any team).

Interestingly enough, according to this apparently De Leon was available last week but not played as a "coach's decision", which is the first indication I've seen that the "play the kids over the vets" approach isn't just talk for something enforced by an avalanche of injuries:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/toronto-fc-dispatches-club-leon-concacaf-champions-league-play/

Wheeler kept repeating that TFC had 10 guys out due to injury, but I can think of at least 11:

Pozuelo, Osorio, Mavinga, Altidore, Zavaleta, Nelson, Akinola, Gallardo, Dunn, Endoh, Achara

Unless one of those guys is not injured, or Wheeler miscounted?

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Interestingly enough, according to this apparently De Leon was available last week but not played as a "coach's decision", which is the first indication I've seen that the "play the kids over the vets" approach isn't just talk for something enforced by an avalanche of injuries:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/toronto-fc-dispatches-club-leon-concacaf-champions-league-play/

Wheeler kept repeating that TFC had 10 guys out due to injury, but I can think of at least 11:

Pozuelo, Osorio, Mavinga, Altidore, Zavaleta, Nelson, Akinola, Gallardo, Dunn, Endoh, Achara

Wonder how many are available for Saturday. I feel like the MLS pundits really shitting on TFC and writing them off, they could be scary good if the kids are good.

V Cup Team?

Random Canadian from the street

Laryea       Dunn        Singh    Shaffelburg

Fraser      Priso

Nelson             Okello               Osorio 

Akinola 

Bench - Peruzza, Rutty, Romeo 

So amazing to see the Canadian MLS teams finally getting close to being able to field 11 Canadians and 11 Canadians that could hold their own.

33 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Wonder how many are available for Saturday. I feel like the MLS pundits really shitting on TFC and writing them off, they could be scary good if the kids are good.

Its a long season.  Bradley will have to be rested or he'll breakdown/play like shit again. Both the top 2 strikers are out, and Jozy prob wont start more than half the season.  Mullins and Perruzza cant be expected to pick up the slack, unless one of them is a revelation (doubt it will be the guy pushing 30).  I can see why MLS writers arent too high on TFC chances, they like the big flashy South american signings, or some dude that was good in europe 15 years ago.  

What does TFC need to compete for a Shield again?  Keepers--check, Def--CB/FB depth which you might get out of Dunn and Singh for 0$ transfer fee, center mid is great, could use a winger but Shaff.Nelsen might solve that for 0$trans fee, and a back up striker.  If you actually trust that a few of the kids can fill some holes for you, I can see why they didnt do any crazy deals this spring, and they might just trade for a MLS striker using Fraser/Deleon as bait.  Compete for tops in east, maybe make a run in playoffs, get use out of academy and save a bunch of money to compensate for lost revenue.  

7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its a long season.  Bradley will have to be rested or he'll breakdown/play like shit again. Both the top 2 strikers are out, and Jozy prob wont start more than half the season.  Mullins and Perruzza cant be expected to pick up the slack, unless one of them is a revelation (doubt it will be the guy pushing 30).  I can see why MLS writers arent too high on TFC chances, they like the big flashy South american signings, or some dude that was good in europe 15 years ago.  

What does TFC need to compete for a Shield again?  Keepers--check, Def--CB/FB depth which you might get out of Dunn and Singh for 0$ transfer fee, center mid is great, could use a winger but Shaff.Nelsen might solve that for 0$trans fee, and a back up striker.  If you actually trust that a few of the kids can fill some holes for you, I can see why they didnt do any crazy deals this spring, and they might just trade for a MLS striker using Fraser/Deleon as bait.  Compete for tops in east, maybe make a run in playoffs, get use out of academy and save a bunch of money to compensate for lost revenue.  

I think Peruzza will be that breakout guy upfront, Akinola should be ready. Long term the DP is probaly up top but as a Jozy replacement.

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I haven't been paying too close attention, but is there confirmation that Dunn is out?  I was really hoping for good things from him this year.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I think Peruzza will be that breakout guy upfront, Akinola should be ready. Long term the DP is probaly up top but as a Jozy replacement.

I hope so, but I thought he wasn't great last night. He wasn't able to press like everyone else. That may keep him on the bench. My opinion could quickly change if he starts putting them in the back of the net.

I don't think you can expect much of any of the Canadian teams in MLS this year if they are based in the US. How can you expect a player to perform in those conditions for an entire season? No family, not seeing your kids, not in your home space, no proper down time. Getting away from your teammates a bit. Not even the familiarity of your home pitch, dressing rooms. 

It is not at all a question of having a good roster or not, not under these conditions. And even if it gets sorted out in a month or two, you can't correct everything that has not gone right automatically just because you are home after 3 months.

Everything we get from the MLS Canadian teams this season, if not really playing at home, fans or not, is a gift.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I haven't been paying too close attention, but is there confirmation that Dunn is out?  I was really hoping for good things from him this year.

Apparently a private detective is required to get any sort of official confirmation from TFC on injuries these days (case in point that we still have to guess what has ailed Akinola, with most of the info coming from Greg Berhalter and John Herdman), but I am making the assumption from the need to sign another young defender on two consecutive short-term 4-day contracts that he must be.

I spotted Akinola and Nelson in the mix of players jumping around in the post-game on-field celebrations before they cut to Altidore congratulating Shaffelburg with that giant goofy grin on his face (Shaffelburg's that is), so it suggests that both are at least not out with broken legs or something.

Edited by Gian-Luca

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I hope so, but I thought he wasn't great last night. He wasn't able to press like everyone else. That may keep him on the bench. My opinion could quickly change if he starts putting them in the back of the net.

He had some flashes but he played what 20 minutes ? At time where they stopped pressing up top and in the stretch that Leon did turn it on. He set up DeLeon for a chance that could have been a nice goal and that play was Peruzza. I’m not sure what more can be expected in the circumstances, the team was playing its second game against the New Mexican Champion who are in full form. I’m not going to worry that he and his teammates couldn’t press in the last 15.