TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

FFS, why are they scheduling all-Canada match-ups to start the season in Florida??!?#?$#?@ Makes no f'ing sense.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/10/mls-announces-2021-season-home-openers-all-27-clubs-season-kicks-april-16

It's probably to get a buzz going for the season start as the Canadian match upa usually have higher ratings.

Lord knows TFC have done very little this off season to stay relevant in Toronto.

Since my previous post in this thread I had been wondering if the opportunity to get vaccinated sometime this decade was one of the reasons why the Canadian teams (if not the main reason) that the Canadian teams didn't organize the Canada-only part of the schedule in order to play in Canada like they did last year, and lo and behold, the last two paragraphs of this article play into that theory:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-camp-still-closed-nine-cases-of-covid-19-reported-among-players-staff-1.1606814

4 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Since my previous post in this thread I had been wondering if the opportunity to get vaccinated sometime this decade was one of the reasons why the Canadian teams (if not the main reason) that the Canadian teams didn't organize the Canada-only part of the schedule in order to play in Canada like they did last year, and lo and behold, the last two paragraphs of this article play into that theory:

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-camp-still-closed-nine-cases-of-covid-19-reported-among-players-staff-1.1606814

They still aren't easing restrictions even if you are vaccinated.

You still might be able to transmit the virus.

So unless the Canadian general public is highly vaccinated it won't matter much if TFC get vaccinated in Florida. 

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

So unless the Canadian general public is highly vaccinated it won't matter much if TFC get vaccinated in Florida. 

What I read in the FT today, it seems very unlikely that those who have been vaccinated at least with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines can still transmit the virus.  While it was a concerned initially, the early evidence is no.  It’s possible in a small number but only those for which the vaccine doesn’t work. 

That being said, there are a whole host of reasons to not ease restrictions until you get close to or reach herd immunity. What we are seeing in Israel is that you probably are only going to get to 70 or 80% of the population voluntarily vaccinating and they are opening up now with a party like atmosphere which I suspect will happen in other countries like the US and U.K. soon. Whether that is wise or not is for others to argue about 

7 hours ago, narduch said:

This is all the more reason for the team wanting to spend more time down in the US (instead of doing that 3 game-each Canada mini tourney) since they can't make any money playing games in Canada right now anyway. If nothing else, the vaccines should prevent them from having any further Covid outbreaks. The only good thing coming out of this IMO is that at least it should mean the TFC Canada players will be available for WCQ and Gold Cup match selection going forward (and Olympics if the Olympics happen and we actually qualify for them).

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I wonder how much of it is "we can't bring any revenue into the stadium this year, so MLSE board is giving us less money to sign players for the time being, so looks like we'll actually have to play the young players we've already signed and developed just for once"

Quite possibly. But also I can see it's not necessarily the best time to be bringing in someone new, while the club is exiled abroad indefinitely. Not the best selling point, and doesn't start things off on the best foot ...

I'd think that the summer break of the European seasons would be the best chance to do something - for many reasons.

Edited by nfitz

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I wonder how much of it is "we can't bring any revenue into the stadium this year, so MLSE board is giving us less money to sign players for the time being, so looks like we'll actually have to play the young players we've already signed and developed just for once"

I'm okay with that. TFC has ALWAYS had good, competitive youth teams. About time they make use of all their investment in youth, cause otherwise what is the point.

21 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Ditto...fuck that guy.  Retire if travelling for soccer/being away from family is too much for you.  How can he be such a douche when almost every team has guys from europe or south america that are way more cut off than he is?  Cut him, let him go play for Phoenix for a fraction of the money.  

5 minutes ago, masster said:

Fuck that guy? Cut him because he doesn't agree with you?

Is it wonderful the way the world is going?

yes fuck that guy because he does not give a shit about his teammates or their health. No patience for antivaxxers either. Makes me wonder how he takes care of his injuries if he doesn't believe in science based medicine really...

Just now, masster said:

Fuck that guy? Cut him because he doesn't agree with you?

Is it wonderful the way the world is going?

Yeah cut him, fuck that guy.  its not that he doesnt agree with me, he doesnt agree with the team or the league and whines about it.  Everyone has shit they have had to do to keep working.  Do you get to go to the papers and whine??   I've had  no work for 9 months and then have to quarenteen multiple times since then and I dont get paid the money he is getting and no one put me up in a hotel.  So yeah, just this once, fuck him and his selfish shit.  If TFC/MLS says you quarenteen, and you get a shot, and you wear pink shoes and have a no track suit dress code and we all practice at midnight, do it or get out of the way. If he can be tired of the covid rescrictions and its ok, I can be sick of him.