TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

14 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

How about one with no hair.  Bradley will be playing CB next year and will be an improvement over Slomar.  

OHHH NOOO! I was hoping Bradley would be assistant coaching with his dad in LAFC or wherever else he lands.  

So season is coming to an end, an era is coming to an end…and it’s time for a winter clear out, something we haven’t see from Toronto since the days of Mo Johnston and Kevin Payne. 

Here’s who’s out for me:

Slomar Gonzalez
Justin Morrow (retiring)
Eversick Gallardo 
Patrick Mullins
Nick Deleon
Tsubasa Endoh
* Quentin Westberg or Alex Bono (may need his contract restructured)
* Jozy Altidore (gone or has to restructure his contract substantially = no longer a DP)

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

So season is coming to an end, an era is coming to an end…and it’s time for a winter clear out, something we haven’t see from Toronto since the days of Mo Johnston and Kevin Payne. 

Here’s who’s out for me:

Slomar Gonzalez
Justin Morrow (retiring)
Eversick Gallardo 
Patrick Mullins
Nick Deleon
Tsubasa Endoh
* Jozy Altidore (gone or has to restructure his contract substantially = no longer a DP)

can you plz add pep perez to that list.another start for achara god forbid he plays nelson and rutty together

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Here’s who’s out for me:

Slomar Gonzalez
Justin Morrow (retiring)
Eversick Gallardo 
Patrick Mullins
Nick Deleon
Tsubasa Endoh

That's awfully conservative of you. Here's a couple names to add to your list.

Kevin Silva, find a young Canadian to give an opportunity to.

Eriq Zavaletta, I will admit I dislike him even more now that he has recognized his Salvadorian roots, but he has always been horrible. Took alot of minutes that could have went to Singh or Dunn.

1 of Bradley or Delgado would be nice. Actually both.

Dom Dwyer, hasn't scored a competitive goal since 2019. Peruzza scored last week, however, when down a goal gets the first sub in.

However, now of this will matter if Perez sticks around. I have watched alot of different teams and alot of different sports for years. l have never hated a manager of a team I follow more. And that says also bc I watched Floro sub in CBs when down a goal in must win matches.

So where do we think they need to strengthen? For sure they need a new CB, probably a couple. If Jozy gets cut I could see it being worth it to use a DP spot on a CB. I feel like Richie is gone to England in January as well. Auro can take the RB spot but they need cheap backups at both fullback spots. I think it would be foolish to not pick up Abzi from York.  He's dominated CPL this year and is a different look than Kemar on the left. Should be cheap too, York could use the money lets be honest. 

The midfield is probably in need of a refresh as well. Oso is the only player that seemed to have a decent year. Delgado you know what you get but it's nothing spectacular. Bradley lost a step or two and might end up playing CB.

Up top is where I see the real trouble. Having Ayo back will be a boost but Jozy is injured way too often and Patrick Mullins and Dom Dwyer arent MLS players anymore. Keep Ayo, Perruza, Achara and sign a guy to compete with Ayo. 

If any of the top half CPL 'keepers are out of contract, there's your cheap Can-con 3rd keeper. 

Ayo between Shaff and Soteldo, Poz under Ayo. Oso and a new midfielder in the centre. Auro, Bradley, An athletic CB, and Kemar as a backline. Hopefully a new keeper. That's what I would like to see next year. It's not a ton of change to the starting 11, but the depth underneath it has to be much much better than it is currently. 

38 minutes ago, BradMack said:

If any of the top half CPL 'keepers are out of contract, there's your cheap Can-con 3rd keeper. 

I am kind of hoping someone makes a move for Sirois.  TFC could dump one of West/Bono, bring in Sirois cheap (what would Montreal want..they seem to be swimming in keepers every year) and groom him.  

Worst part of the game was that they also didn't sub off Bradley at the end so that he could take his retirement lap at the end of the game. Which presumably means he isn't retiring. My guess is that he'll play one more season with his dad as TFC coach. Maybe at keeper because that's the only position he isn't too slow for at this point and his passing from the keeper position would be marginally less-suicidal than Westberg's was tonight (and has been for pretty much the whole year, except when Bono played and took the kamikaze-keeper baton from him).

I'm not sure which foreigners I would keep.....Lawrence I suppose, maybe Altidore if you can buy him down to a TAM contract. TFC won't go anywhere with him, Soteldo & Pozuelo (who looks a shadow of his former self) as the three DP's next year. They all have different problems, one of which is that they are never on the field at the same time and even when they are, they don't seem to have any chemistry together. Shaffelburg was probably the most offensively productive player per minutes played this season if you count the two goals he didn't get any statistical credit for and he was nearly sent to the minors in September. That should tell you something about the offensive-minded DPs that TFC had this year.

They mentioned during the telecast that not only has Dwyer not scored since 2019, he hasn't had a shot on goal since 2019 either.

And Dwyer was the guy they brought in to spark things.  Had their eye on him all spring, training with the club and I am sure Obinna said it was a 2 year deal, so he is back next year.  Makes you really think about who is evaluating the talent around there.  This weird USMNT thing thats been going on has to stop.  Spend that money that you squeeze out of the TFC fans a little better.  

Altidore should no longer be a DP.  You can't use one of those spots on a guy who plays maybe 50% of the time.

In MLS, I think you have to spend your DP money on attacking players and not defensive players.  It is much easier to find a reliable defender then it is to find someone that can consistently score goals.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Pozuelo (who looks a shadow of his former self)

To me, this is the most concerning area.  Everybody knows that the backline is a shambles and needs to be fixed.  If they have to supplement for Pozuelo as well, that'll be a whole lot of roster overhaul.  Also, would divert attention from where it is needed: it's a lot sexier to bring in someone flashy that can score than bring in a solid CB that could be the foundation for years to come.

This is a huge mess to fix obviously and judging by the multiple numbers of poor decisions by management recently I don't have much hope of them sorting it out! The organization needs a complete purge and rebuild from the top down or we are just going to get more of the same and the fanbase will erode further, the good news is in MLS a rebuild can be done quickly if the right people trusted with it!

On 11/1/2021 at 11:41 PM, Bison44 said:

OHHH NOOO! I was hoping Bradley would be assistant coaching with his dad in LAFC or wherever else he lands.  

TSN reporting that may be the scenario .........................at TFC!  Well, Bob coaching at TFC anyway.  Maybe he hires his son as an assistant?  I could take a year with Michael at CB.

But yes, get rid of all those mentioned above.  Westberg was awful yesterday, and was good for 1 gaffe per game this year. Gonzalez, Zavaletta, Dwyer, Mullins, Mavinga, Delgado, Endoh all have to go.

Even Pozuelo looks a shadow of his former self this year.

19 minutes ago, Big_M said:

find somewhere else to play...like edwards starting at lafc?

Or MAK and Jakovic before him?

Personally, I don't think Bradley is that bad of an option.  He might have the best head coaching pedigree of any incoming coach at TFC.  He understands MLS and wasn't too hung up on playing kids as LAFC seemed pretty young on the whole.  They could definitely do worse.

Does anyone think he can be objective with his kid??  Or maybe is he the one guy that can say to him, your legs are gone, you need to play about 20games this season and start building that extension on your house so you can work on puzzles next season.  

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Does anyone think he can be objective with his kid??  Or maybe is he the one guy that can say to him, your legs are gone, you need to play about 20games this season and start building that extension on your house so you can work on puzzles next season.  

They both seem like pretty severe, no-nonsense people, so they may not have too much time for sentimentality.  Bob reminds me of dads from my youth who you walked on eggshells around and heaven help you if you slam the car door or something like that.

Who knows though, that might be the optimist in me.