Jump to content

TFC 2021 Season


Big_M
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was at the game and this is what I saw from a Canadian angle.

In the second half the bench was warming up, but Nelson and Okello were the only ones sitting down at one point. Pretty much says it all.

Right before Osorio scored, DeLeon was about to be subbed in. After the goal I guess Perez had a change of heart. I'm sure he was about to sub out Osorio for God knows why.

Priso was doing great until that injury. I'm okay with playing on in close offside calls, but that looked obviously offside. That never should've happened.

Laryea is still a beast and right now more useful and dangerous than Sotaldo, who is starting to look like a guy with a lot of flash but no substance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same guys who dont trust Henry (because of his gaffs), think we pick on Zav because of his nationality (old one), and think there is a tide of anti americanism on here.  Zav had a bad giveaway and lazy attempt to stop a goal last game, and basically gifts 3 pts to the REVS tonight.  How the hell do we think that trotting him out is any worse than giving Dunn or Singh the minutes to prove they are players or need to be cut as well.  How does he keep getting rewarded for shit play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sotaldo is an interesting case.  He often looks so good out there, and when we score he’s often a major catalyst.  But yes he does over dribble a fair bit and run himself into difficult places.  He’s much better than any player we had at LW but is mildly infuriating as well.

Zaveletta basically gave the game away last night with his poor play.  Sometimes he’s pretty decent but his bonehead plays are consistent enough that it’s clear he’s a weak link.  I know Gonzales is a whipping boy, but he was relatively solid.  Zaveletta’s mental mistakes are just too costly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Zaveletta basically gave the game away last night with his poor play.  Sometimes he’s pretty decent but his bonehead plays are consistent enough that it’s clear he’s a weak link.  I know Gonzales is a whipping boy, but he was relatively solid.  Zaveletta’s mental mistakes are just too costly.

 

Yes, but - putting on my TFC management glasses - we can't possibly trust Singh, Romeo or Dunn out there, who knows how bad they might screw up.  We might end up dead last in MLS, that'd be just awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Priso was doing great until that injury. I'm okay with playing on in close offside calls, but that looked obviously offside. That never should've happened.

This!   That play pissed me off.   The player was offside by a mile.  And i was seated at the other end and could tell even from there that he was offside.  Yet the linesman allowed the play to continue for what seemed like 30 seconds. This the first time i saw an injury result due to a referee’s subborness.

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This!   That play pissed me off.   The player was offside by a mile.  And i was seated at the other end and could tell even from there that he was offside.  Yet the linesman allowed the play to continue for what seemed like 30 seconds. This the first time i saw an injury result due to a referee’s subborness.

Don’t the refs get updates on their headsets to blow that offside sooner ?  Not sure I blame the linesman- he’s supposed to let it go if he’s not sure 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gonsalez is slow, he was slow as a rookie, he is slow coming to the dinner table, but he is still a decent CB.  Being a tall slow CB just means you need a little help.  Moore, Caldwell etc, were never fast either. 

Mavinga has completely shit the bed..I dont know whats up with him this year...nagging injury..attitdue etc???  Singh might not have been outstanding but he showed he is prob as good as Zav.  But 5 subs....last place....you have to start thinking about next season at some point.  Find out which of these guys can actually live up to some of their potential and are worth keeping around.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

This game becomes less interesting without Priso.

Yes, he was really starting to emerge as an exciting young player with a ton of quality about him, hopefully the injury isn't as serious as it looked, my TFC interest is directly related to Canadian content 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

So now both Montreal and Vancouver have their starting GK and backup GK being Canadians and TFC's 3rd keeper isn't even Canadian. Are there no keepers in Ontario? How can they not even have a keeper from their academy as their 3rd keeper?

Team run by Americans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

How can they not even have a keeper from their academy as their 3rd keeper?

Silva was from the academy. Isn't Caleb-Sewell the number 1 academy keeper - who is Australian American. And Vaikla is Estonian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Silva was from the academy. Isn't Caleb-Sewell the number 1 academy keeper - who is Australian American. And Vaikla is Estonian

Kevin Silva??  UCLA Bruin Kevin Silva?? Brogan Engbers is with TFC2 i think, that would be about the closest to a homegrown they have eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Academy/TFC2 ... Ruffian suggested getting the 3rd string keeper from the Academy ... why skip over TFC2 - I assumed he was including TFC2.

They have and can sign foreign players to TFC2 or American NCAA draft picks. I think Ruffian's point that since Ontario (and the GTA especially) is such a huge hotbed for producing soccer talent, how have TFC not been able to produce a single Canadian keeper that has played significant 1st team in 15 years of being able to draw into that talent pool, particularly as they have the ability to do so with their academy for much of that time. It is a head scratcher, and while I can possibly put drafting Peter-Griffin Donkey ahead of Dayne St. Clair down to the team being run by Americans who over-value American talent, I'm not sure I can explain TFC's inability to develop a keeper out of the rich GTA pool that way. It suggests that there is something wrong with TFC's keeper development.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Okello just looks like a giant. I wish he was more physical and would use his frame more. At 6'5" in the midfield he just potentially gives them something different. He is good on the ball as well.  

He needs to hit the gym and play, it takes time for a kid to learn how to impose themselves against men.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

He needs to hit the gym and play, it takes time for a kid to learn how to impose themselves against men.

Yeah. He could be a real force. Not many midfielders with that frame and ball skills. I guess he can be used at CB as well though not sure how much he has played there for TFC 2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 1:00 AM, Colliedor said:

Laryea is still a beast and right now more useful and

Really!!!!   Last year I was the first or amongst the first to callout that he is a star on the team and should be starter for our national team.  

This year?  Well, had we seen last year what we are seeing this year from Laryea, I would woulnt be making any of those claims.   I would not even even be thinking of him as a callup to our national team.  

Edited by Free kick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Laryea creates an unbelievable amount of offence.  Okello looked complacent at times  and lacks drive.  Delbado was terrible and gave the ball away multiple times in 20 minutes.  Zavaleta is near useless. We need to get a DP striker that can play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Laryea looked like he was playing striker the last 30 minutes of the match while Achara was playing right mid.....not sure what was up with that unless Laryea was just exhausted? In which case, how about throwing Peruzza up top as a striker and leaving Okello (who had a good match) on instead using up the last sub on a sub-par Delgado who isn't the kind of player who is going to take players on on break down defenses with creative plays & amazing through-balls.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

Really!!!!   Last year I was the first or amongst the first to callout that he is a star on the team and should be starter for our national team.  

This year?  Well, had we seen last year what we are seeing this year from Laryea, I would woulnt be making any of those claims.   I would not even even be thinking of him as a callup to our national team.  

Actually, I see it differently.  While he has struggled with Toronto this year, with Canada, he's played more like he did last year for the club.  I presume it has something to do with the subpar coaching that has been taking place in Toronto this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...