TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

5 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kevin Kilbane in the broadcast booth for this one with Caldwell at the Gold Cup. Until he was actually in TSN’s studios midway through the Euro I had assumed he was calling in from Ireland or somewhere in the UK. Looked it up and discovered he married a Canadian ice dancer and evidently lives here now. Will be interesting to see how knowledgeable he is about the MLS.

Thanks. I actually came here to ask who was on co commentary as the voice sounded familiar. 

I'm scratching my head over that game.  Orlando have the second best record in the East and TFC the second worst, but it didn't look that way from the way they both played.  TFC had way more bone-headed blunders, though.  I hope they can turn that around now that their tactics are reverting back to the pre-Armas version.

8 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Kevin Kilbane in the broadcast booth for this one with Caldwell at the Gold Cup. Until he was actually in TSN’s studios midway through the Euro I had assumed he was calling in from Ireland or somewhere in the UK. Looked it up and discovered he married a Canadian ice dancer and evidently lives here now. Will be interesting to see how knowledgeable he is about the MLS.

I thought Kilbane was pretty good. Better than Caldwell.

Has a decent resume doing commentator work after retiring from playing

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Why can't TSN show Montreal games once in a while? 4 Canadians in their starting lineup. At least Akindele starts. Go Orlando.

Seriously this passes me off so much. And wow what a game they missed.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

How’d that turn out? 

Obviously it didn’t.  But as a couple of posters pointed out it was incomprehensible that with a game midweek and 5 subs that guys weren’t replaced and Canadians got time.  Someone else mentioned when was the last time 0 Canadians received playing time and i for one can’t remember this happening so let’s assume this was a one off. 

Time for the kids to get the hell out of Dodge IMO.  With a GC-depleted lineup (missing 3 first team players) none of them see the field.   With the precedent that Armas set (sticking with veterans at all costs) it sure seems like TFC has little intention of giving the young guys any real meaningful minutes this year.  

If I am a player at a crucial stage in my development, I would be hunting around for a loan somewhere I will actually play.  Because either the kids aren’t good enough to get on the field, or the TFC management just don’t think they are good enough to play in MLS.  Either way, this seems like a situation that will stunt the development of some significant guys in our next generation of players.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Time for the kids to get the hell out of Dodge IMO.  With a GC-depleted lineup (missing 3 first team players) none of them see the field.   With the precedent that Armas set (sticking with veterans at all costs) it sure seems like TFC has little intention of giving the young guys any real meaningful minutes this year.  

If I am a player at a crucial stage in my development, I would be hunting around for a loan somewhere I will actually play.  Because either the kids aren’t good enough to get on the field, or the TFC management just don’t think they are good enough to play in MLS.  Either way, this seems like a situation that will stunt the development of some significant guys in our next generation of players.  

It's pretty much been this way for years at TFC.

The Homegrown/Academy churn just keeps on going.

1 minute ago, narduch said:

It's pretty much been this way for years at TFC.

The Homegrown/Academy churn just keeps on going.

The difference for me right now is that we may squander the talent of 3 guys I think have a lot potential for different reasons. 

Nelson is only 18 and has shown he can play at this level on a good day.  He has some flair and is a creative player which can always be used at the senior level.  

Priso unfortunately plays a position that we have locked down fairly well for a few years (Eustaquio and Piette) but he is quite young (also just 18), seems to read the game really well, and has really good technical ability with the ball at his feet.  

And Okello just brings something unique with his size.  He can cover ground quickly, and should be able to be dominant in the air (or at least train to be more dominant).  

Not saying any of them  are (or will be) world beaters but I have seen enough potential from each of them that it sucks to watch them continually wasted on the bench.  They need to be playing regular competitive footy at a level that will challenge them.  If I was advising them, I would be trying to secure something that would make that happen ASAP.   

7 hours ago, Yohan said:
2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Time for the kids to get the hell out of Dodge IMO.  With a GC/depleted lineup (missing 3 footer team players) one of the see the field.   With the precedent that Armas set (sticking with veterans at all costs) it sure seems like TFC has little intention of giving the young guys any real meaningful minutes this year.  

It’s easy to just sit here and think what might be best for a player . So why haven’t all these Canadian players left or not even signed with TFC academy in the first place. It’s supposed to be really difficult to make it as a pro player even in the MLS . So now we have a coach from Spain not the US not playing any Canadians last night. What’s the excuse now? An American coach not wanting to play Canadian players , but this guy is from Spain . I still think players should play based on the coaches assessment of the player period . The only think all say is that if two players are pretty even in talent and your a coach in an MLS Canadian city ya maybe play the Canadian kid first. I follow Italian soccer serie a and my team Napoli and a lot of other Italian teams sometimes put teams out there with maybe one or none Italian players why? Well because the coach puts out players he thinks can do the job for him and not based on nationality. Moreover , a lot of the top Italian serie a teams probably average less than 4 players in the starting lineup and when there are Italians in the starting lineup you usually know they are there on merit not because they are Italian and it’s been this way in serie A in Italy for the last 30 years but somehow Italy has still managed a World Cup win in 2006 and now Euro in 2021. Yes the MLS is not serie A not even close lol but right now every Canadian player that is playing in the MLS consistently is there are merit not because they are Canadian . Buchanan, Laryea , Osorio, Larin , Davies, Pasher and so on played in the MLS or are playing because when giving the chance they made it hard for the coach not to keep playing them and that’s how it should be . With TFC I’m pretty sure a couple of these young guys will eventually stick and play either with TFC or another team but they need to make every opportunity count when given the chance . Right now none of these young guys has yet to show me they deserve consistent playing time the only one that has come close is Shaffelburgh who has shown some promise and Priso , the rest nothing special but they are still young and still have time on their hands either with TFC or somewhere else.

Maybe they were resting the kids for the Red bull game??  Yeah Dunn has showed so little is his..what one apperance in the last 3 years?? Same with Okello..so why not sell him when they had the chance eh?  Or leave Dunn with Valor??  Again...nobody says sit Soteldo, Mavinga or Poz.  But what the hell do they have to lose by leaving Zav, Endoh or Mullins on the bench and at least seeing what the kids can do?  So sick of this, what the hell kind of impact has Mullins or Zav ever made??  What have they shown to deserve to be brought out game after game, chance after chance??  

Edited by Bison44

This is so frustrating, leaving an ineffective Endoh in and a pairing of Bradley and Delgado almost cost TFC all 3 points, if the youngsters are not going to get a look in a match like that I don't care what nationality the coach is, they need to move to a better situation! As a Voyageur and avid fan of Canadian soccer to see no Canadian participation on a Canadian team is pathetic, I will not persevere through that again!

Has promising young Canadians 

Need minutes to grow/improve 

Won't play them 

Won't loan them or let them leave 

Must be TFC. 

We have seen it at the Whitecaps over the past decade too. I do feel this crop of TFC talent is much better and able to hold their own in this league than past Whitecaps have been. Either way we won't know if they don't get the minutes to find their feet at this level, especially when those getting minutes are terrible, they will only go backwards.

TFC need to give them the minutes and back them in a year they have almost already squandered. It's almost the perfect time. If not get them out of the club and stop hording and blocking their progress. 

31 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

This is a pretty hilarious take.

Why are Vancouver and Montreal different? Are their young Canadians miles better than Toronto's? Shouldn't Toronto be ahead of both teams on youth player development considering they had a head start in MLS. Plus all the money they spend on their Academy? And they have the advantage of a great market in the GTA?

Meanwhile last night the Whitecaps knocked off the Vanney managed LA Galaxy. They started 4 Canadians and subbed on another 2.

Meanwhile Montreal is sitting comfortably on the upper side of the table, and have been using Canadians all season.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

The first explanation I noted is that maybe the kids aren’t yet good enough for MLS (with the second being that the management just doesn’t think they are good enough). 

So even if that is the case, my point still stands - it is time to get out of there so that they can get regular competitive playing time in an environment that will challenge them and push their development.  There is no scenario in which constantly riding the pine for TFC, just in case they may be needed (but probably not), is better for them than regularly playing first team footy at a different level.   I am not saying that they need to play them regardless of how they perform - I am just saying that they need to be playing at this key time.  If not at TFC, then somewhere else.  And it sure doesn’t appear that it will be at TFC.  

It was the same in the Bustos/Froese and subsequent Whitecaps seasons. They and others needed more minutes but at the end of the day it was always results ahead of youth. The coaches always put vets in to save their skin.

It is more grating when TFC has recently been vocal about being youth first and is doing the opposite. It's not like the team gets relegated. If you are about youth, especially with where things are at this season, take the year and push/develop the youth. Nothing to lose.

Why I think whitecaps especially, not so sure on Montreal, are playing Canadians more than TFC is from necessity. Would Guti be getting the minutes had Adnan stayed? We have already seen Baldisimo benched or if I being nice, eased in. Teibert arguably shouldn't even be playing and the two Canadian keepers are the best they have and worthy of the start. Habibullah hasn't got much of a look in for a position they have been lacking and Bair (whether down to him or coaching) has gone to great hope to wondering if he will even get picked up by a CPL team. Cornelius is potentially on the scrap heap too. 

If you pick the youth route stick to it. Most coaches won't when they feel their job is on the line.

Too often that missing step inbetween the reserve/youth set up and MLS is too far too soon. While the CPL don't want to be seen like it, it has to be that filler option for players in that position and both MLS clubs and CPL need to do what is best for Canadian players IMO.

What I like about Mobtreal and I wish TFC would do is that they have 5 players loaned to CPL teams. 2 young CBs getting good minutes, a starting goalie, and 2 young mids. They are also all Canadian. Meanwhile Toronto only has Fraser loaned out. if you aren't going to play these guys why not let them go be a big player in CPL. I do realize they have TFC 2, but that path hasn't proven to be very successful.