TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

TFC have a glut of midfielders but not a lot of fullback options, so it's a bit strange to me that we are using Morrow as a left midfielder. Maybe he doesn't have the fitness yet to go 90, but based on today neither did Auro given that two mis-controls of the ball that he did directly led to Montreal goals - he was actually outstanding Wednesday night and ball control is not normally a problem for him so that suggests to me fatigue and a resulting lack of sharpness from the start.

I realize Armas' hands are somewhat tied with literally almost half the team being injured to start the season, but I hope he learns from this that we can't rely on the same guys to play 90 minutes every 2.5 days for future games which happen a few days after either CCL or V Cup games. Fraser was one of the few players who looked pretty sharp today and he didn't play on Wednesday, which I think is not a coincidence.

^^  And you dont get much out of some guys in some spots.  He could have shuffled Delgado/Okello/Priso around and mb replaced one of them with a fresh winger, but options were limited.  Bradley having a off game was entirely predictable, he reminds me of the kid in JV whose dad coached and would never come off the field even if he was about to fall over and die. Someone on that coaching staff needs to man up and make him understand its best for everyone if he manages his minutes.   

On one hand I am thinking thats not too bad a result, considering its on short rest and half the team is out, but then it is Montreal.  Arch enemy who has a new coach and seem to be on the way down and they won fairly easily.   I wonder which one of the youngsters still gets some minutes when Osorio and Poz are healthy.  

On 4/16/2021 at 7:39 AM, Gian-Luca said:

I pray that he is just training with the team because he is Orlando-based and the team is in Orlando. I hadn't even realized he had been cut or released by Orlando (not that I blame them mind you). Not one of my most favourite American players, to put it lightly.

Can you just imagine the state of this place when TFC sign Dwyer to a contract, and he counts as Canadian for roster purposes due to his spouse's birthplace? 🤣

So Priso & Fraser were both injured in this match so they had no choice to play Bradley, but I am starting to get the same vibes from last season from him. Great couple of opening matches of the year (this time in CCL) and then straight into the toilet creating more problems and liabilities than problems. Against a team like Vancouver that surely the coaching staff must have reminded the players only tend to create chances from counters or set pieces you shouldn't be giving away needlessly cynical fouls outside the 18 yard box, so it's disappointing that the veteran players like Bradley and Gonzalez did exactly that, leading to goals against. Bradley is again back to the "can't win tackles, can't close players down - unless he fouls them" territory. The trajectory in this regard isn't promising for the rest of the season, they really need to start managing his minutes.

And if we are going to play a "pressing style", please, no more Justin Morrow as a left attacking midfielder when there are more suitable options. If Armas wanted to sub Nelson off that was fair enough, but replacing him with Shaffelburg or Osorio would have made more sense rather than replacing him with Morrow and then replacing Morrow ten minutes later in that position with another player because he doesn't have the pace or energy (even as a sub) to play a high-speed pressing game. It was basically a waste of a sub (and helped to a poor first half of the 2nd half for TFC) to do that. Yes, I know that you can make 5 subs or potentially 7 if you are "lucky" enough to have two players concussed during the match, but even so, I'm not sure what he thinks Morrow is going to bring in that role ahead of the other players I mentioned. Heck, I'd even take Endoh for running around endlessly and putting pressure on the opposition if that's what he wants to do.

Edited by Gian-Luca

You think Bradley looked tired today??  Wait until Cruz Azul on 3 days rest, cause it seems like no one has authority to sit/sub Bradley.  Hopefully if we can keep a first choice striker healthy and Poz/Oso back every week then things will start to gel a bit.  Twice in the first half Deleon (who wasnt that bad) was making a run to the box, looked up, saw Mullins alongside and just continued on himself..pretending he didnt see him. 

I think these minutes given to Okello, Singh et al will pay off later in the year, its a marathon not a sprint.  

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hmm, that I can think of, once last year, and once in 2019..but i think it was an injury then.  About once a year he deosnt play the full 90, I think its in his contract.  

TFC have a million options at DM/CM and Bradley is old and honestly not that great anymore. It would be dumb not to rotate him especially with the congested schedule. The team was better with Oso and Delgado in a 2 man mid last season. Ralph and Noble have looked good enough to play consistently. With Poz back there wont be mins at the 10 for those guys either. Something has to give. 

16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So Priso & Fraser were both injured in this match so they had no choice to play Bradley, but I am starting to get the same vibes from last season from him. Great couple of opening matches of the year (this time in CCL) and then straight into the toilet creating more problems and liabilities than problems. Against a team like Vancouver that surely the coaching staff must have reminded the players only tend to create chances from counters or set pieces you shouldn't be giving away needlessly cynical fouls outside the 18 yard box, so it's disappointing that the veteran players like Bradley and Gonzalez did exactly that, leading to goals against. Bradley is again back to the "can't win tackles, can't close players down - unless he fouls them" territory. The trajectory in this regard isn't promising for the rest of the season, they really need to start managing his minutes.

And if we are going to play a "pressing style", please, no more Justin Morrow as a left attacking midfielder when there are more suitable options. If Armas wanted to sub Nelson off that was fair enough, but replacing him with Shaffelburg or Osorio would have made more sense rather than replacing him with Morrow and then replacing Morrow ten minutes later in that position with another player because he doesn't have the pace or energy (even as a sub) to play a high-speed pressing game. It was basically a waste of a sub (and helped to a poor first half of the 2nd half for TFC) to do that. Yes, I know that you can make 5 subs or potentially 7 if you are "lucky" enough to have two players concussed during the match, but even so, I'm not sure what he thinks Morrow is going to bring in that role ahead of the other players I mentioned. Heck, I'd even take Endoh for running around endlessly and putting pressure on the opposition if that's what he wants to do.

One thing I am worried about with Armas is he doesnt seem to adapt to his players at all. He keeps sticking with the 4-2-3-1 and at one point a left back was playing LW, a right back was playing LB (which is ok cause auro can do that), a CM was playing RW and Deleon was playing as a ten. So many players out of position, when Ayo came on with Jozy you need to play 2 up top but no he put Ayo who looks like an NFL fullback at RW. I am glad Pozuelo and Soteldo will be joining the squad soon and we have two healthy strikers so Armas wont be able to screw up the 11 too much. 

Pretty huge game against Cruz Azul tonight.  It is the home match of the home-and-away so TFC will want to get a win and a clean sheet if at all possible.  Tough ask though - Cruz Azul apparently haven’t lost since January.

TFC are still missing a few players including Mavinga, Pozuelo, and Achara, but they did get back Oso and Altidore last game.

Hoping to see the youth movement continue but they will be in tough against CA   

Edited by dyslexic nam