Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder if the real reason they prefer transfers in and out of international is that there are commissions to be had for those brokering the deals. And none for playing an academy player.

I am saying this because of the rumours of Robinson making money off the Davies deal, and others. Once you get this kind of deal-making going and those doing them are finding fees, payments and commissions coming their way, the whole play your local boys becomes bad business. 

But I am just wondering, I have no basis to know either way. 

I don't doubt this.

Supporters were furious when they found out about the whole Robinson/David Baldwin(Avid) relationship on transfers.. but little do most know that this is still going on in the club just with MDS's people.  These players despite having their own agents had their transferred brokered by one agency connected to the Caps coaching staff.

Vite
Caicedo
Owusu
Bikel
Cavalini

13 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I also can't understand MDS's love for Raposo.  To be fair he showed quality at the beginning of last season but has since not justified any of his minutes.  

He runs hard, like every other forward/winger on the roster when pressing the other team in possession:    Cava, Dajome, Caicedo, Ricketts, White, Raposo, and probaby Gauld and Vite if they indeed fit what Schuster wants from players  in those positions.  Bair didn't.  He's now in Norway.

23 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I don't doubt this.

Supporters were furious when they found out about the whole Robinson/David Baldwin(Avid) relationship on transfers.. but little do most know that this is still going on in the club just with MDS's people.  These players despite having their own agents had their transferred brokered by one agency connected to the Caps coaching staff.

Vite
Caicedo
Owusu
Bikel
Cavalini

If it is the case, then first, MLS should intervene. And if they don't, then FIFA. 

I find it shocking that no one has delved more deeply into this, especially speaking of how the Davies transfer fees were split and shared.

And worse when the Whitecaps are last in the league and the club is being used as a shell company for other interests.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If it is the case, then first, MLS should intervene. And if they don't, then FIFA. 

I find it shocking that no one has delved more deeply into this, especially speaking of how the Davies transfer fees were split and shared.

And worse when the Whitecaps are last in the league and the club is being used as a shell company for other interests.

What's the backstory here? 

I had read that the Whitecaps played hardball with Davies but nothing on the fee split?

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/5/28/21272994/bayern-munich-davies-vancouver-whitecaps-signing-manchester-united-psg-stuttgart-barcalona 

33 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

I had read that the Whitecaps played hardball with Davies but nothing on the fee split?

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/5/28/21272994/bayern-munich-davies-vancouver-whitecaps-signing-manchester-united-psg-stuttgart-barcalona 

I heard it on this board. That somehow Robinson, and perhaps a family member (??, not sure if I recall correctly) ended up getting a commission on the Davies deal. Now I have never seen it confirmed, nor investigated, and have never delved further to understand if something that sounds unethical is perhaps also a violation of basic player transfer principles. 

I personally find it abhorrent and would prefer for Whitecaps, MLS and FIFA to intervene on such practices.

BTW a good part of Barça's financial problems also come from signing massive deals with major commissions, which are likely then shared amongst those brokering under the table, to the detriment of bringing up players from the academy for free. Signing bonuses, agent commissions on deals, and other things. I imagine this is common in many clubs. Academies then become bothersome because no deals are made on the kids coming through, and the numbers don't allow the corrupt insiders to make anything off of them. 

BTW, that story you posted, that is also there. And you figure if there is that, then there are other dubious practices as well.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, yomurphy1 said:

Davies was and still is being represented by someone who is a family friend.  That person doesn't have the knowledge or expertise to transfer a player so Robinson stepped up and introduced some agents to the family who could help broker the deal.  They didn't go with David Baldwin/Avid but they went with Neil Sang from the UK who had all the contacts.  I'm sure Robinson got taken care of. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The club has a long history of trying to go around the agents of targets by using their own people.  I heard something about Axel's german agency doing this with a couple of targets back in January.  Essentially call targets saying Caps are interested and when the player's agent finds out, all goes quiet.  

It's funny, they are consistently terrible on and off the pitch, yet no one takes a close look at the leadership team (Soccer Operations etc) and how they are able to stay in their jobs so comfortably.  

4 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

The club has a long history of trying to go around the agents of targets by using their own people.  I heard something about Axel's german agency doing this with a couple of targets back in January.  Essentially call targets saying Caps are interested and when the player's agent finds out, all goes quiet.  

It's funny, they are consistently terrible on and off the pitch, yet no one takes a close look at the leadership team (Soccer Operations etc) and how they are able to stay in their jobs so comfortably.  

Wow, Axel Schuster's agency doing this as well? I am stunned, is this the basis of their hiring and firing policies? Or why he got to eliminate any internal checks and balances inside the management team?

21 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I don't know what you're talking about here. The Whitecaps FO is heavily criticized constantly, and we all know why some of them are able to keep their jobs so comfortably despite being terrible at their jobs. Relations to the owner will do that. Further, we know the Whitecaps set themselves up to be reliant on agents by failing for years to ever get a proper scouting staff, and it's not shocking that some of this bled over to MDS because again they had no scouting staff for him to use to actually recruit players.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The Whitecaps FO is heavily criticized constantly, and we all know why some of them are able to keep their jobs so comfortably despite being terrible at their jobs. Relations to the owner will do that. 

One of those people must really like Teibert to shell out $390 k in yearly salary for him.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

One those people must really like Teibert to shell out $390 k in yearly salary for him.

He has always been a mouth piece for the FO and it's why they keep him around. He's year-end criticism of the "culture" in the dressing room when the club wanted to clean house and the FO wanted to deflect all blame from themselves was pretty transparent. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:01 PM, Footyeh said:

Kids like Habibullah would provide an even bigger return than Vite, cost them little to nothing as well to develop.  You sign a quality player like Gauld, why not have your biggest potential asset in the club be the understudy and learn from him instead of going out and blocking his pathway?  Send's a horrible message to the academy this.  Especially when other clubs in the league are showing that these kids can play when given the opportunity and can make you MORE $$$ than buying young foreigners and flipping them.  

Yep the optics on all of it are bad. Why would any young kid bother with the academy? Only those with ignorant parents.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

After all the bad-mouthing of Raposo in this thread he played well yesterday.

I thought he had some good offensive contributions last night, including playing in a couple of good balls from the wing and cutting in for a left footed shot that was blocked.  On other hand, he lost the ball too easily a couple times (one after the Caps held off pressure from a major gosl scoring opportunity).  His biggest contribution is work rate with upfield pressure.  I still don't see much upside in him but he definitely had a good showing (as did the much more maligned Teibert, who was a big upgrade on the anonymous Alexandre).

• 2 weeks later...

Got down to BC place tonight.

The gate I went through didn't do any security checks (except for making sure nobody had purses, that's a whole fiasco in and of itself).

Most mind-blowing was that they didn't even scan tickets, like just let everybody walk in. Not sure if this was the norm at all gates but I'd love to know if this is an indictment on ticketmaster's new system or what? Will be interested to see if the same things happen at the 'caps game on the weekend.

Edited by JohnnyFranchise

Raposo, about whom I've been less-than-charitable in my feelings at times, had his second straight strong performance after coming on as a sub. His cross for the winner was perfect.

Baldisimo gave us a solid 90. He needs to be trusted more often so that he can grow in confidence and round out his game.

Crepeau must make people in Montreal cry with every time they see him play like that in a 'Caps shirt.

Bloody hell! Even Rose and Veselinovic looked like a competent CB pairing today!

People in Victoria must be hoping that MDS contrives to leave Gauld on the bench again on Thursday night.