Vancouver Whitecaps 2021 Season

Big_M

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I think we're going to be seeing less of Baldisimo. But he'll be a great option off the bench, or starting in mid-week games.

Both he and ubiquitous Teibert get starts tonight.

Edited by BearcatSA

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Both he and ubiquitous Teibert gets starts tonight.

And Gauld isn't in the lineup yet and Alexander is suspended.  So yeah, of course Baldisimo starts.  Just as he should.

And as I type that, Baldisimo picks up a yellow card so he'll miss the next game.

how many giveaways and fouls by baldisimo..and teibert who has fifteen yards of free space ahead of him but turns around himself three times and gives it back to the player who passed it to him..owusu metcalfe raposo get at least one of them in 

2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

how many giveaways and fouls by baldisimo..and teibert who has fifteen yards of free space ahead of him but turns around himself three times and gives it back to the player who passed it to him..owusu metcalfe raposo get at least one of them in 

Teibert had an excellent forward pass on the goal.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Gauld will be the main man.  This youngster looks like a prospect who will be developed more as a supporting cast for this year as he gets his feet wet in this league.

Is this one the beginning of the end for youth development out of Whitecaps... might as well be.

31 minutes ago, wallflower said:

Is this one the beginning of the end for youth development out of Whitecaps... might as well be.

These foreign U22 guys are investment players: buy (relatively) cheap but turn over for a bigger return as they hopefully take the team to the next level.  Veselinovic looks like he might fetch a good return and Caicedo might, too.  Khmiri:  swing and a miss.  HIB:  they made a return but certainly not as much as hoped.

They still need a domestic academy grad or two to stick.  Teibert won't be around forever!

16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Looks like Florian Jungwirth is coming in an intra MLS trade. Several people tweeting about it. Solid experience to add to the back. Like this move. 

Could Caps actually turn this season around? Surely not.

It gives them a guy who is good on the ball back there and a very experienced MLS player.  Might be a good guy to push into defensive midfield late in games.

Schuster gets points for following through with much needed moves and no excuses.  Maybe his team is finally taking shape?

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

These foreign U22 guys are investment players: buy (relatively) cheap but turn over for a bigger return as they hopefully take the team to the next level.  Veselinovic looks like he might fetch a good return and Caicedo might, too.  Khmiri:  swing and a miss.  HIB:  they made a return but certainly not as much as hoped.

They still need a domestic academy grad or two to stick.  Teibert won't be around forever!

Kids like Habibullah would provide an even bigger return than Vite, cost them little to nothing as well to develop.  You sign a quality player like Gauld, why not have your biggest potential asset in the club be the understudy and learn from him instead of going out and blocking his pathway?  Send's a horrible message to the academy this.  Especially when other clubs in the league are showing that these kids can play when given the opportunity and can make you MORE $$$ than buying young foreigners and flipping them.  

2 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Kids like Habibullah would provide an even bigger return than Vite, cost them little to nothing as well to develop.  You sign a quality player like Gauld, why not have your biggest potential asset in the club be the understudy and learn from him instead of going out and blocking his pathway?  Send's a horrible message to the academy this.  Especially when other clubs in the league are showing that these kids can play when given the opportunity and can make you MORE $$$ than buying young foreigners and flipping them.

My simplistic take is that they rate the Ecuadorian kid higher than they rate the even younger Habibullah and Schuster feels he can be more of a contributor at this time.

12 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

I don't think Vite blocks Habibullah. I think MDS's love of Raposo blocks Habibullah.

It is a fine balance, and to be clear I don't think the Whitecaps have always done a good job of this. But not every kid in the academy is going to make it or is ready to jump to this level and I think we as fans sometimes fail to recognize that. So do I think the Whitecaps have done a good job of actually giving their academy players a fair chance? No. But do I think all the academy kids coming through have deserved that chance (despite the hype around some of them)? Also no.

So, I'm glad to see Bair and Facchineri getting loaned out. I hope they get the playing time they need and come back better players and fighting to push on to the team next year.

I wonder if the real reason they prefer transfers in and out of international is that there are commissions to be had for those brokering the deals. And none for playing an academy player.

I am saying this because of the rumours of Robinson making money off the Davies deal, and others. Once you get this kind of deal-making going and those doing them are finding fees, payments and commissions coming their way, the whole play your local boys becomes bad business. 

But I am just wondering, I have no basis to know either way. 

56 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Isnt Habibullah more of a AM like VIte (?) and Rapaso is more of a straight winger??

I've seen him play as a winger plenty of times. Think he's capable.

Still not sure why he can't get a chance here and there over Rapaso. Rapaso hasn't done a single thing since joining Vancouver. Not a single goal or assist and honestly never looks like he'll ever do much in general when he comes on. Can't figure out why MDS is constantly rewarding him.

11 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I've seen him play as a winger plenty of times. Think he's capable.

Still not sure why he can't get a chance here and there over Rapaso. Rapaso hasn't done a single thing since joining Vancouver. Not a single goal or assist and honestly never looks like he'll ever do much in general when he comes on. Can't figure out why MDS is constantly rewarding him.

Because he has quickness and energy for the pressing game.  Ricketts has the same work ethic.  If you don't have enough skill, at least work your arse off.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think Vite blocks Habibullah. I think MDS's love of Raposo blocks Habibullah.

It is a fine balance, and to be clear I don't think the Whitecaps have always done a good job of this. But not every kid in the academy is going to make it or is ready to jump to this level and I think we as fans sometimes fail to recognize that. So do I think the Whitecaps have done a good job of actually giving their academy players a fair chance? No. But do I think all the academy kids coming through have deserved that chance (despite the hype around some of them)? Also no.

So, I'm glad to see Bair and Facchineri getting loaned out. I hope they get the playing time they need and come back better players and fighting to push on to the team next year.

I 100% agree with you that academy boy's shouldn't just be given chances and I've made my feeling's clear about most simply not being good enough.  But, hes is not just any academy player.  If you ask around the team, there's major support for him among the senior players.  I guess my frustration is, if you have this player in your hands that you're aware had outside interest, and is someone you pitched a pathway to Europe to, why would you slow the kid's trajectory down?  Maybe he should have waited to be of age to go to Europe instead🤷‍♂️

I also can't understand MDS's love for Raposo.  To be fair he showed quality at the beginning of last season but has since not justified any of his minutes.  

Edited by Footyeh