Jump to content

Pacific FC - 2021 Season Thread


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

It’s ranging from 75k to 150k, probably scales up per year.

Not sure where else can get a stadium sponsor but it’s great for the league and Pacific, Valour lost like 300k in year one, I’m assuming PAC was in that range also, so this would put a nice dent in those loses. They will need more but gotta start somewhere.

Pacific had a much lower average attendance than Valour.  I would expect their losses to be more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Given that 2020 will soon be just a bad memory, let's start taking about 2021.

They look to be leaving some spots for youth, for tryouts, since they really should have 23. Missing six or so.  We don't know yet if we will be on 5 changes or three. And if the gameday bench wi

We should stop equating fiscal conservatism with owners being borderline broke.  

9 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I'm pretty sure Langford built the stadium and paid for it's expansion, unless Pacific built another stadium I'm unaware of.

True. I guess I mean overall investment in the project. While not officially part of the club, the municipality has been incredibly supportive. I don't know what happens if Stu doesn't get re-elected at any point before the team really gets a foothold in the community. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

True. I guess I mean overall investment in the project. While not officially part of the club, the municipality has been incredibly supportive. I don't know what happens if Stu doesn't get re-elected at any point before the team really gets a foothold in the community. 

I would say that building a stadium is enough help from the municipality.  At a certain point, it's on the investors to step up and deal with any problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I would say that building a stadium is enough help from the municipality.  At a certain point, it's on the investors to step up and deal with any problems.

I don’t disagree, but we’re a still a ways from a finished stadium. The production quality is pretty bad and the in game experience could also use improvement. I love what’s been accomplished so far but further investment is still needed. From the city, club, or other investors 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don’t disagree, but we’re a still a ways from a finished stadium. The production quality is pretty bad and the in game experience could also use improvement. I love what’s been accomplished so far but further investment is still needed. From the city, club, or other investors 

Sure, but my understanding is that there's already a contractual agreement in place to expand the stadium if certain attendance figures are reached. The in game experience (the off the pitch stuff) would be the clubs responsibility. At a certain point, it's just on the investors and the community to step up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, An Observer said:

tbh, with the wash out 2020 was in year 2 of this league and the fact that 2021 may not be much better, I will be very satisfied if by the end of the year none of the 8 sides have folded.  Expansion would not really be the top of my priority list at present. Keeping the current 8 alive would be.

Expansion could help the other teams survive though. 10 teams is more interesting than 8, and it may mean less travel for some games. Getting into Quebec and the Lower Mainland would be huge. But yes, the pandemic couldn't have come at a more difficult time for the new league, and survival is key.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, An Observer said:

tbh, with the wash out 2020 was in year 2 of this league and the fact that 2021 may not be much better, I will be very satisfied if by the end of the year none of the 8 sides have folded.  Expansion would not really be the top of my priority list at present. Keeping the current 8 alive would be.

I don’t think anyone is folding these guys expected to lose money and big amounts for years. The requirement for ownership was to be able to withstand big loses for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know for sure, but I think CSB has found the right formula for sustainability. They have serious partners, and don't seem desperate to add new ones unless they bring something significant. I think the Pacific group, beyond the name recognition in Friend and Simpson, are definitely in the have-not camp -likely relying on CSB to survive. I suspect the delay in expansion is to find more groups like you see in Calgary, Hamilton, York, and possibly Ottawa, and fewer like Pacific, FCE and HFX. Not really sure where Valour fits into all of it. Probably, somewhere in the middle. I'm sure if the Roughriders were interested, they would get a club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The money behind Pacific FC is Dean Shillington:

https://biv.com/article/2018/08/canadian-premier-league-owners-ready-launch

He was reported to be keen on having a relatively low salary cap, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is short of money. The investment subsequently made in an indoor training facility suggests he probably isn't.

There was nothing obvious in the Valour accounts that the Blue Bombers have to release as a community owned operation that suggested CSB is significantly revenue positive for CanPL teams at this point.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/05/2019WinnipegBlueBombers_AnnualReport_Web_FINAL.pdf

You cannot reach that conclusion as there is no asset for CSB set-up and no mention anywhere in the financial statements.

You need to find Valour FC Inc.'s statements to comment.

And you'll have to trust me on PFC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know for sure, but I think CSB has found the right formula for sustainability. They have serious partners, and don't seem desperate to add new ones unless they bring something significant. I think the Pacific group, beyond the name recognition in Friend and Simpson, are definitely in the have-not camp -likely relying on CSB to survive. I suspect the delay in expansion is to find more groups like you see in Calgary, Hamilton, York, and possibly Ottawa, and fewer like Pacific, FCE and HFX. Not really sure where Valour fits into all of it. Probably, somewhere in the middle. I'm sure if the Roughriders were interested, they would get a club.

HFX is backed by Bob Young. It’s run by Martin though.

Athletico’s owners are with like 5 billion combined.

Not sure about FCE but Dean Shillionton’s company is worth something like 2 Billion, he can’t be poor either.

 

again, if these guys are losing 500k a year, it’s really not much if you’re worth 300 million, and with other owners involved, it’s split. It’s peanuts to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We should stop equating "this guy is worth X" with also having the available cash/liquidity to sustain losses.  I'm not saying any team is in trouble.  At the same time, there's a difference between being prepared to sustain the expected losses of a new league/team and the losses they're enduring with no fans or income in the middle of a pandemic.  So, who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/05/2019WinnipegBlueBombers_AnnualReport_Web_FINAL.pdf

You cannot reach that conclusion as there is no asset for CSB set-up and no mention anywhere in the financial statements...

That last bit is kind of the point. Owning a share of CSB could reasonably be described as an asset, but the growth in total assets value on the balance sheet from 2018 to 2019 is only ca. $150k in the year when the Mediapro deal was signed.

It's also not that difficult to come up with credible scenarios where most of the $2.7m in revenues for the Valour would be ticket sales and the ca. $512k ancillary home game revenues mentioned in the accounts rather than from CSB related revenue streams based on what has been stated publicly about ticket prices and season ticket sales. They don't appear to have papered the house for their home opener like the Forge did, for example, and had over 10k out for that one.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...