Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

1 minute ago, One American said:

Seriously? They called guys away from their club for intersquad scrimmaging?

That seems to grossly misrepresent a camp where the US game was cancelled and where the guys have trained together for days, the Manager got to see many many players and thoroughly evaluate them, and where they would have solidified tactics and systems.   

2 hours ago, One American said:

Seriously? They called guys away from their club for intersquad scrimmaging?

Other than Frank Sturing and the U23 Werder Bremen player (neither of whom play for their first teams at the moment), I don't think anyone was called away from a club that's actively playing or in camp. Everyone else is MLS & one guy from the CPL

That said, the reasoning why even a scrimmage with the US wasn't even played is disappointing, particularly since it seems that all the players played anyway.

From the highlights, it's difficult to tell but it almost looked like Edwards was playing centre-right mid or even right back. Found it somewhat amusing that he got a shove in the back from his new teammate at LAFC.

Two goals, and not many highlights in two games, and both goals coming off 2nd phase from set pieces. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign since we are playing ourselves.

Looks like Shaffelburg switched teams, but other than that (and the introduction of Edwards) it seems the two teams were consistent. By the way I give St. Clair more credit for a good save than I blame Shaffelburg for a blowing the chance.

Was that Sturing next to Miller in the centre of defense for the red team?

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

From the highlights, it's difficult to tell but it almost looked like Edwards was playing centre-right mid or even right back. Found it somewhat amusing that he got a shove in the back from his new teammate at LAFC.

Two goals, and not many highlights in two games, and both goals coming off 2nd phase from set pieces. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign since we are playing ourselves.

Looks like Shaffelburg switched teams, but other than that (and the introduction of Edwards) it seems the two teams were consistent. By the way I give St. Clair more credit for a good save than I blame Shaffelburg for a blowing the chance.

Was that Sturing next to Miller in the centre of defense for the red team?

Yes that was Frank, he played beside Miller both games. 

1 minute ago, Mikmacdo said:

Yes that was Frank, he played beside Miller both games. 

Ok, thanks. I couldn't tell if it was him or Waterman and neither one of their names were called by Max Bell in the commentary so it was difficult to say. That said, I didn't think he looked that good in the highlights (he seemed to be the player that Nelson dribbled past somewhat easily), although as often the case with highlights, we tend to see the most offensive plays which means that we don't see the boring, solid defensive plays that probably happened the other 95% of the match, so it's difficult to do much in the way of assessment from this.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ok, thanks. I couldn't tell if it was him or Waterman and neither one of their names were called by Max Bell in the commentary so it was difficult to say. That said, I didn't think he looked that good in the highlights (he seemed to be the player that Nelson dribbled past somewhat easily), although as often the case with highlights, we tend to see the most offensive plays which means that we don't see the boring, solid defensive plays that probably happened the other 95% of the match, so it's difficult to do much in the way of assessment from this.

He made a play vs Buchanan in the highlights. I hope he ends up in the cpl. 

The younger guys seemed to have good pace and also were very well positioned in the field. They were combining well, and in defense swarming. Too bad we only get this and can't watch how they closed down the red team attack as well, just to gauge the defensive players more against those more experienced. The red team looked to be a step behind and even not aggressive enough in some of those plays in front of and even in the box. 

I am not too upset about the scrimmage vs the US being called off, you would get no really useful conclusions from that except from what would probably be more aggressive tackling. 

1 hour ago, An Observer said:

Based on the highlights, the young guys dominated the older guys and got the better of them in the previous match as well. Good for the future but not so good for the present if our older guys can’t get the better of the younger ones 

Yeah, but this isn’t really our “present”.  Some of them are in (or competing for) spots in the starting 11, but this was a senior side without David, Davies, Hutch, Arfield, Hoilett, Eustaquio, Henry, Vitoria, Borjan, etc.  In contrast, the youth team was pretty much our best prospects who haven’t yet made the jump (and a couple that have or who have started that transition, like Cornelius, Nelson, Buchanan etc).  Given all of that, I am not that shocked at the result.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, but this isn’t really our “present”.  Some of them are in (or competing for) spots in the starting 11, but this was a senior side without David, Davies, Hutch, Arfield, Hoilett, Eustaquio, Henry, Vitoria, Borjan, etc.  In contrast, the youth team was pretty much our best prospects who haven’t yet made the jump (and a couple that have or who have started that transition, like Cornelius, Nelson, Buchanan etc).  Given all of that, I am not that shocked at the result.  

Add Kennedy, James, Millar and Larin to your list above and you have 13 names that will be written in ink or heavy pencil by Herdman and his staff when considering the 23 man roster for qualifying in 2021.  And you have to think that the play of Wotherspoon and Paton in Scotland has them under some consideration as well.

23 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Add this scrimmage cancelation to the list of long suffering Canadian soccer fans, if we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all.😎

I think I would be more disappointed if it was a full friendly that got cancelled, I think as @Unnamed Trialist mentioned, the only difference between the intra squad match and a scrimmage vs the US would have been the aggressiveness in the tackles, you could see in the highlights our guys were playing nice for the most part!

How many times have we had a camp and the game has ended up being a let down??  A  questionable performance against Moldova, new zealand, Morocco or Uzbekistan.  And we say well at least they got 10 days of practice and drills etc out of it.  At least the Gaffer got to see everyone and the guys got to build chemistry etc etc.  We all wanted to see a game, but at least they did something...it wasnt a total waste. 

TFC fans should be happy, it was nice seeing Priso, Nelsen and Okello all working together.  I hope Armas was watching the same highlights we did.  

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Add this scrimmage cancelation to the list of long suffering Canadian soccer fans, if we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all.😎

It's not luck. It's will. 

They didn't schedule a game, just scrimmages, and suggested that was better. Then they didn't follow through on the scrimmages. 

Are there soccer journalists in Canada? Does anyone ask tough questions of the CSA? Why are they starting WCQ without playing a game in 14 months? Has is it that every other major team has played a game, but Canada can't or won't?  

The real problem isn't the scrimmages or games. Canada has better players. But the other federations care more.   

It seemed like the CSA had gotten its act together. But it seems like it's back to the bad old days. At the wrong time. 

42 minutes ago, One American said:

They didn't schedule a game, just scrimmages, and suggested that was better. Then they didn't follow through on the scrimmages. 

Are there soccer journalists in Canada? Does anyone ask tough questions of the CSA? Why are they starting WCQ without playing a game in 14 months? Has is it that every other major team has played a game, but Canada can't or won't?  

The real problem isn't the scrimmages or games. Canada has better players. But the other federations care more.   

It seemed like the CSA had gotten its act together. But it seems like it's back to the bad old days. At the wrong time. 

I think fear played a big part in cancelling these scrimmages, it could have been real damaging to these naive youngsters to take 2 beatings in a day at the hands of the far superior national team, we don't have any soccer journalists in Canada, the only one who reports on soccer is in fact an American, he has so much more knowledge of soccer overall and specifically Canadian soccer that we really don't need anyone else to write about it!

1 hour ago, One American said:

You do realize there's a pandemic right?

Think you might be a bit over the top.

I know there's a pandemic. That's the whole thing. It separates those who are serious about making it to the World Cup from those who are not. 

Isn't "Canada is suffering from being one of only three CONCACAF contenders not to play a competitive game after the lockdown." an obvious low-hanging-fruit sentence in a future Matt Doyle  "Why Canada is struggling in WC Qualifying" column? 

Guatemala plays tomorrow against Puerto Rico. That will be Guatemala's fifth game since October. They probably think weakening Panama and Curacao are ripe for the picking. So they're going for it. 

Canada meanwhile are content to play inter-squad scrimmages.

The good news is that Haiti, Suriname and Bermuda haven't played, either. So it seems to be the Group of Lacking Ambition. 

Edited by One American

11 minutes ago, One American said:

I know there's a pandemic. That's the whole thing. It separates those who are serious about making it to the World Cup from those who are not. 

Isn't "Canada is suffering from being one of only three CONCACAF contenders not to play a competitive game after the lockdown." an obvious low-hanging-fruit sentence in a future Matt Doyle  "Why Canada is struggling in WC Qualifying" column? 

Guatemala plays tomorrow against Puerto Rico. That will be Guatemala's fifth game since October. They probably think weakening Panama and Curacao are ripe for the picking. So they're going for it. 

Canada meanwhile are content to play inter-squad scrimmages.

The good news is that Haiti, Suriname and Bermuda haven't played, either. So it seems to be the Group of Lacking Ambition. 

Seriously, how sad is your life that you have to come onto a football supporters' board for a country which isn't your own to post daft, repetitive shit for no apparent end? Why don't you piss off to Big Soccer, or better yet, try to get yourself laid or make some actual friends in real life, or something. I just can't comprehend what's wrong with you.