Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

Interesting that ZBG was with the reds and Johnston with the whites. Herdman seemed pretty excited about him in an interview, so perhaps it says more about wanting to see him with the top group instead of ZBG falling down the pecking order. Sturing was with the whites too, again perhaps more about seeing what he’s like with the big boy team. 

Not sure what to make of Nelson with the whites. I wonder why Herdman wanted to see him there. Maybe he really rates the youngster. He did make an impression last camp...

Oso looked sharp in the highlights.

@Shway seems that it was actually Bassong starting at RB for the red team. Later on in the match it looks like Guti is on the left with Adekugbe, so I wonder if one of them was playing as a winger at that point. Perhaps it was Guti at left mid as he’s played there for Vancouver, but it was Adekugbe with that run towards goal near the end, so hard to say. 

Edited by Obinna

To be honest, I'm just happy that the guys are together. My expectations levels for the CSA program are gone. I'll just take the news as it comes and hope for extraordinary change in the way things are done.

I've learned that some guys here aren't defending the CSA, they've just accepted the sad reality that it is the CSA. The faster you get to that reality, the faster your expectations will be lowered which in result heightens you're emotions to things that are done outside of the norm.  

I always said this camp wasn't preparation for WCQ anyways...

My two cents, and it is probably wrong but here goes: Herman has no interest in doing a friendly now. It is all psychology for him. If they were to do a friendly with a B team and lose to Serbia or the US It doesn’t set the players up for success for March. He can get them working on the systems he needs and have their headspace right by using scrimmages and training games. If they were to lose a scrimmage against the US, so maybe they play 3 30 minute periods,it is not consequential because that is not a standard game. He wants them going in to March with a huge belief that they can win everything and that might not happen with Canada B versus US B. The way it is playing out now he controls their mindset he controls the approach and when the A Team shows up against Bermuda they are set to destroy them. That’s what he wants. not going in with a reminder that the last time they played, only eight weeks earlier,  they had lost a game.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

To be honest, I'm just happy that the guys are together. My expectations levels for the CSA program are gone. I'll just take the news as it comes and hope for extraordinary change in the way things are done.

I've learned that some guys here aren't defending the CSA, they've just accepted the sad reality that it is the CSA. The faster you get to that reality, the faster your expectations will be lowered which in result heightens you're emotions to things that are done outside of the norm.  

I always said this camp wasn't preparation for WCQ anyways...

Bingo 

Not least so many of these players haven't played for so long. What is the actual point of a friendly. There is lots to gain from playing other nations but just as much to get out of what is happening. Not point just doing Friendlies for the sake of it. Protect the players and build community first. Totally agree with @Shway

On 12/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, Dominic94 said:

Sturing isn’t ever going to crack the Netherlands squad so I’m not worried about that. Is Romania really any good ? 

let’s be real here look at the 03 talent out of Ontario.... Flores is expected to be pretty decent and Dias at Sporting ain’t too shabby at all.

Hats off to TFC doing something right at the youth level.

also Glasscityfc said on Twitter Hasal was called but still injured.

I know this is somewhat old but my account just got approved

Romania is in a bad moment with a new inexperienced manager and a dozen players missing for covid and injury, and yeah the last ten years has been the worst decade ever .. but still not that terrible. Lazio veteran Stefan Radu not playing for the national team hasn’t helped either , or injury prone Florin Andone and Vlad  Chiriches

Seem to be making a comeback though, U21s qualified to second Euros in a row after making semis in 2019. a few players starting to show up in Italy

Radu Dragusin played in a couple games for Juve already at 18 as a CB, and newly turned 18yo AM/CM Catalin Cirjan is in Arsenal’s first team now too, but neither of them were called to the seniors because they’re not ready (and only Dragusin played for the U21s so far, 2 caps. both are fully Romanian leaving the country at 16 btw)

So I think it’s the same with Corbeanu, glad he’s doing well for the U23s at Wolves but an appearance on their bench in the Prem doesn’t mean he’d be considered yet for the national team. That said Romania probably should have approached him after the way he played with the U19s, seems to have a good future,  he could have at least gone to the U21 Euros with Dennis Man going to seniors recently, but I’m happy it looks like Canada’s got another talent coming up. I hope Flores sticks around too 

as a Canadian-Romanian, looking forward to the futures of both countries in football seeming to be on the rise 👍

Canada in particular deserves this for all the investments made and all of the dual nationals choosing other NTs over the years. Davies has really helped lead the path and give these kids confidence in Canada’s future. Helps to be hosting WC 2026 too

Edited by Filip

Flores for me would be the real coup, Canada currently doesn't have any player like him (position/style wise). The guy still has close ties with Mexico, and who can blame him? If he comes from a Mexican family then the kid likely grew up idolizing the Mexican National Team. If he keeps his trajectory he can probably start for them someday. Herdman and co can only do so much, ultimately the best way to get him to commit is for Canada to start getting results when it matters. Making the final round of WCQ is a must. He needs to see that with Mexico he can just be another player, but with Canada he could be a real center piece on which to build a team around.

31 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Flores for me would be the real coup, Canada currently doesn't have any player like him (position/style wise). The guy still has close ties with Mexico, and who can blame him? If he comes from a Mexican family then the kid likely grew up idolizing the Mexican National Team. If he keeps his trajectory he can probably start for them someday. Herdman and co can only do so much, ultimately the best way to get him to commit is for Canada to start getting results when it matters. Making the final round of WCQ is a must. He needs to see that with Mexico he can just be another player, but with Canada he could be a real center piece on which to build a team around.

That really isn't the case with Flores though. He legitimately is one of Mexico's top prospects; if he really becomes an important player for Arsenal, he'll be a lock. At this point, we just have to hope he feels a strong connection to Canada. 

Edited by PiedPilko

Yep a real shame on Flores and Ayo. We have such a young squad getting them into a camp is half the battle. It is such a fantastic time to be in the Canada set up at their respective ages. The comradery looks to be fantastic. Being around so many prospects your own age could be as much as a pulling factor as playing with veterans of a mexican side in Flores case.  @LeoH037 is correct with Herdman's selling pitch to Flores too. We would be looking to build the team around him and he would be offering something we don't have which means the best chance at maximum international minutes. Canada can be sold as an exciting project right now with a golden generation. We have the salesman to do it so fingers crossed. 

Dunno if this has been discussed already, but Molinaro dropping a nugget that Canada and the US will indeed have a scrimmage on Saturday in the very last line of this article.

"Before Canada wraps up its camp this weekend it will play a scrimmage match against the United States on Saturday. 'The boys are looking good, and showing emotions and anxiousness to play this game,' Cavallini said."

12 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Dunno if this has been discussed already, but Molinaro dropping a nugget that Canada and the US will indeed have a scrimmage on Saturday in the very last line of this article.

"Before Canada wraps up its camp this weekend it will play a scrimmage match against the United States on Saturday. 'The boys are looking good, and showing emotions and anxiousness to play this game,' Cavallini said."

Yeah Cav talks about it a lot here: