Match Thread : CONCACAF League : Arcahaie FC v Forge FC - December 1st, 2020 - Quarterfinals

19 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Hate to say it but newbie soccer fans should not watch CONCACAF anything unless they have been indoctrinated for years in the art of self mutilation and torture.  Like most of us on this forum.

The ultimate jinx is to tell a new fan to watch any meaningful Canada soccer match. But seriously I told no one about the Canada - USA game in 2019 at BMO for this reason.. I knew it would be an attraction but the jinx wasn’t needed. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

Unfortunately the match played out in the worst case scenario I expected, the way the Haitians played and time wasted, used there physical skills and Forge being not match fit and off their game against an in form opponent! This doesn't just pertain to Forge, I think Canadian soccer still has a lot of naivety to get over, after Henry's colossal blunder there was only going to be one winner here, similar to our MNT losing to Haiti after defensive mistakes, hopefully we learn!

6 minutes ago, gator said:

That is obvious but reflecting on it, Forge were poor with very few if any open play scoring chances after the first minute or so, passing in the final 3rd was dreadful, once again I put much of that down to inactivity!

They weren't really threatened either...they had this game under control. However, the midfield was under-performing and Grant was a bad choice to start the game.

By the looks of it, we would be facing Marathon... Forge needs to play up to their true level of play... they totally played down to Arcahaie level

59 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Hate to say it but newbie soccer fans should not watch CONCACAF anything unless they have been indoctrinated for years in the art of self mutilation and torture.  Like most of us on this forum.

Haha yeah looking back it was not the smartest idea but to be fair my pitch was look this team is in Valour's league and they're about to crush this team and play MLS teams in another tournament. 

An epic failure is right, loads of Canadian soccer fans watching this, a chance to make history and the game is thrown away by a showboating keeper, this is a major set back for the club and the league, I don't expect Forge to recover anytime soon, the score could be ugly next week!

Isn't Forge's backup keeper a teenager? I doubt they use him next match.

Just to not be totally pessimistic, Marathon needed penalties to get by Antigua in the Round of 16 this year. Forge eliminated Antigua in the Prelim round last year. Maybe its too early to right off Forge.

Last year Henry had some competition in goal (Quinlan Roberts), this season the job is all his with an unproven back up, Henry has played well but last night's blunder will never be forgotten! I hope the team recovers from the loss better than me because I have no confidence in beating a team from Honduras!

Felt bummed out last night- feel worse this morning

Game was for the taking- chances missed ( 3rd minute put a foot on the crossed ball and it is in, cross bar free kick, Mo had a free header with no one near him, many more Corners than the opponent ) 

Forge dominated play and were not sucked in by the diving and Concafing of the other team. Referee was very good IMO

Missed opportunity is an understatement- Fark 

I know ot will sound like piling on, but I was surprised since day 1 when Henry got the start over Roberts. Then when Roberts was on Guyanas Gold cup list I was happy we went with Henry. Although I never understood why he felt the need to jump like a flying squirrel anytime a ball came near him. 

Imagine how dominant Forge would be with Pantemis or Carducci as a goalie. 

Hopefully they can bring in someone like Hasal on loan next season. 

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I know ot will sound like piling on, but I was surprised since day 1 when Henry got the start over Roberts. Then when Roberts was on Guyanas Gold cup list I was happy we went with Henry. Although I never understood why he felt the need to jump like a flying squirrel anytime a ball came near him. 

Imagine how dominant Forge would be with Pantemis or Carducci as a goalie. 

Hopefully they can bring in someone like Hasal on loan next season. 

He won goalkeeper of the year. He's played for Bobby for years. There is no way they are bringing someone else in next year

18 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

He won goalkeeper of the year. He's played for Bobby for years. There is no way they are bringing someone else in next year

Yeah.  I'm disappointed with Henry, too, but he still was the best goalkeeper in the CPL last season.  One blunder doesn't make a player a hopeless bum who can never be trusted again.  He might learn from his mistake and be an even better goalkeeper after this.

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Its on the whole team???  Archahai generated almost no offense at all.  I thought Forge had it in the bag...and then Henry basically kicked it in his own net.  The rest of the team did just enough to win that game and one guy mucked it up..

It seemed to me that they should have scored another goal, or at least had more chances.  After the first few minutes, how many decent scoring chances did they have?  I can hardly remember any.  For all Forge's dominance on the ball, they didn't produce much that was dangerous from that.  Doing "just enough to win that game" left them vulnerable to a flukey goal against.  I put that on the whole team.

28 minutes ago, rkomar said:

It seemed to me that they should have scored another goal, or at least had more chances.  After the first few minutes, how many decent scoring chances did they have?  I can hardly remember any.  For all Forge's dominance on the ball, they didn't produce much that was dangerous from that.  Doing "just enough to win that game" left them vulnerable to a flukey goal against.  I put that on the whole team.

The shot off the bar from a FK was a key moment, I don't think there was any way back for the Haitians down 2, even without Henry's moment of madness something else could have gone wrong at 1-0, they were diving every time they got near the penalty area which wasn't that often! Forge are going to have to come up with a much better effort or I fear we are in for a spanking Tuesday against a far better opponent!