Constructive discussion about advancing soccer in Canada

dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Nearly all of them are/were bloggers who posted their writing on the CSN platform. At least 3-4 seem to be active posters on the forum, though.

Yeah for sure. And perhaps that is why they have admin status and fair enough. I assume the non-bloggers are helping out with page matinenece or moderation? It would be nice if the people with the keys to the car participated in this discussion.

I appreciate the questions and I hope I can answer all of them however not everything is finalized so I may not have all the information.

As many of you know and have already mentioned, Jamie (@admin) has worked diligently, at much personal cost, to bring the Voyageurs to where they are now. Feeling that it was time for our loose knit group to take next logical step he approached a group of us who know and trust each other about formalizing the Voyageurs as an entity. We’ve been meeting regularly and are trying to lay the foundation for the future by making sure all legal requirements are up to date and some basics around roles and responsibilities are established with the goal of running an election for an inaugural Board of Directors in the near future. We’re at the point now where we’re almost ready to share our work with the broader group here and we’re planning on distributing a survey to garner feedback about what the organization should look like and where it should be headed. We’re also planning to host an online event in the near future where we will announce plans and answer questions. We all have full time jobs and families so we're moving slowly but we'll get there.

As for the moderation of this site, myself and @JamboAl where made admins recently. I don't know the other admins or whether they still visit this site. I know Jamie has been quite busy these days and so I offered to take on the responsibility. I don't suspect @JamboAl will have much time to dedicate as I know he's quite busy himself. I also have a lot going on in my life so I'll try to answer all questions in do time.

Hope that helps.

11 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I appreciate the questions and I hope I can answer all of them however not everything is finalized so I may not have all the information.

As many of you know and have already mentioned, Jamie (@admin) has worked diligently, at much personal cost, to bring the Voyageurs to where they are now. Feeling that it was time for our loose knit group to take next logical step he approached a group of us who know and trust each other about formalizing the Voyageurs as an entity. We’ve been meeting regularly and are trying to lay the foundation for the future by making sure all legal requirements are up to date and some basics around roles and responsibilities are established with the goal of running an election for an inaugural Board of Directors in the near future. We’re at the point now where we’re almost ready to share our work with the broader group here and we’re planning on distributing a survey to garner feedback about what the organization should look like and where it should be headed. We’re also planning to host an online event in the near future where we will announce plans and answer questions. We all have full time jobs and families so we're moving slowly but we'll get there.

As for the moderation of this site, myself and @JamboAl where made admins recently. I don't know the other admins or whether they still visit this site. I know Jamie has been quite busy these days and so I offered to take on the responsibility. I don't suspect @JamboAl will have much time to dedicate as I know he's quite busy himself. I also have a lot going on in my life so I'll try to answer all questions in do time.

Hope that helps.

I know I gave your post the little “thanks” trophy, but seriously - thanks.  It is great to have the update and know that this hasn’t been sitting in limbo as a concept.  I appreciate that this is a side hustle (that doesn’t pay) so finding the time is always a challenge.  From the sounds of things, there is an appetite among “the membership” to be involved.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 12:07 PM, dyslexic nam said:

For background, the 2018 audited financial statements of the CSA are here:

https://www.canadasoccer.com/about-landing-page/about-resources/

They just published the 2019 annual report:

https://www.canadasoccer.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/2019-CS-Annual-Report-EN.pdf

There aren't any details about financials in it but there are some general percentages in terms of expenses.

They actually spent slightly more on the men's teams than the women's teams in 2019; probably because the guys qualified for the U17 World Cup in Brazil.

(Whereas in 2018 and 2017 the women's program received slightly more funds)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Hey folks. Here is the short survey that @BuzzAndSting mentioned above. There will be more going on over the Winter and Spring ... this is hopefully just a start. 

Please pass these on to anyone who you think might be interested. There are English and French versions. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScbQcX02OqPJZ2EvFp9RB3J6ZE77126k1DRdyyg_AZ2bElvAw/viewform?usp=sf_link

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScvTXCjKjNYRsNURoiVyTH6Q6BIALgD3a6-ELQZhYpFycd8mw/viewform?usp=sf_link

6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Survey done! Thanks Rob !

Just to be clear, I didn’t create the survey (although I contributed to it). I mostly volunteered to put the word out. There’s a group of 9 or 10 of us plugging away as best we can. 

But cheers and thanks for filling it out. The response has been quite overwhelming honestly. Very positive. 

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

All good.  Managed to weasel my way into 5 games at the Island Games this summer.   PEI is doing well in terms of COVID so the kids have managed to get some sports in as well.   Can’t complain for sure.  

That’s great to hear. I’m jealous, but it’s wonderful for PEI to get a little action for a change. 😁

49 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

As if this morning, we are around 900 responses.  It’s more than we had expected - nice surprise.

Out of curiousity, have you promoted on the V's FB page (I am sure you have)?  I know there is some overlap in terms of membership with this site, but there are also a lot of folks on there who clearly don't know about CSN.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Out of curiousity, have you promoted on the V's FB page (I am sure you have)?  I know there is some overlap in terms of membership with this site, but there are also a lot of folks on there who clearly don't know about CSN.

Absolutely.  It’s been also promoted on Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and has been mentioned on a few podcasts.  The survey link has also been retweeted by some fairly high profile individuals in the Canadian Soccer family.

8 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Not sure if this was already stated but I would like to see a youth team for every CPL club. There needs to be a direct path for youth players to the first team. 

I agree. And this has been discussed many times in the CanPL section. But I believe this thread was more catered towards “what we, the fans could do to advance Canadian soccer”.