Bev Priestman appointed WNT coach

I'm not surprised the CSA went with Priestman given her previous connection to the program and its players as well as the fact that England is going in a new direction too.

I was not impressed with Priestman's results at the youth level (especially the 2018 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship) and think she was fortunate to have Huitema in all her squads.

That being said, I am pleased that the CSA didn't promote Wilkinson to the top job...at least not yet.

Pros are she knows the players especially the younger ones, Cdn landscape to get new players and system of play (if she is planning to keep it). Had experience with England senior team as they were taking great strides - maybe learned from Neville. Knows Concacaf but not that big of deal in women's side. Can get guidance from Herdman. 

Cons are first senior head gig. And not exactly impressive results as Canada youth coach - though how much determined by focus on development vs deploying tactics/players to win is uncertain. Don't know what her strengths are other than youth player development & setting up development pathways. Usually looked over worried and uncertain on the sidelines.

So looks like a longer term hire. Inexperience means growing pains as she learns on the job. Will need to see how much she has advanced since leaving for England. Will want to see player comments. Better choice than Wilkinson but not the best available.

She says she has evolved.

Edited by red card

Ok, Canada once again promotes an assistant coach to head coach.  I know she was one of the favourites and at least she's not an ex-player with little to no coaching experience.  What I always ask; is Bev Priestman the best person for the job, or is she the best woman for the job, or is she the best woman we could afford?    If she is the best person for the job then that's great.  I have my doubts.  The fact the CSA can't seem to find someone who has actually lead a team or a program is worrisome, and their seeming obsession with having a woman coach is, too.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:02 AM, Patrick said:

Ok, Canada once again promotes an assistant coach to head coach.  I know she was one of the favourites and at least she's not an ex-player with little to no coaching experience.  What I always ask; is Bev Priestman the best person for the job, or is she the best woman for the job, or is she the best woman we could afford?    If she is the best person for the job then that's great.  I have my doubts.  The fact the CSA can't seem to find someone who has actually lead a team or a program is worrisome, and their seeming obsession with having a woman coach is, too.

Can't really answer your question as we don't know the best in any category for the job was available to take on the team. Only time will tell if she will be good as it is with any team in any sport.