Match Thread : CONCACAF League : CD Municipal Limeno v Forge FC, October 22, 2020 - Preliminary Round

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Great result, and well played by the Forge.  
MOTM for me was Babouli. 

Next up Tauro.

P.S. I hope they make it to the round of 16 so theres a game in Hamilton in December lol.

You mean quarters. They just advanced to the round of 16.

Would be great for Hamilton to finally get their first home game of 2020 after only winning a championship and advancing to the 3rd round of continental competition. Oh 2020 you little rascal!

I hope they find a team to play a friendly with in Panama.

Looking at the Panama league schedule, Tauro are playing their 1st competitive game tonight since March 7 when the Apertura resumed. Tauro plays again on the 29th then face Forge on November 3rd.

Tauro will be a much tougher test, it was great for Forge to get a competitive match in, now some players will be back and the team should be more acclimatized, this will also be great win or lose for keeping the team match fit before the daunting task of going up against TFC whenever that might happen!

48 minutes ago, gator said:

I hate to dump on players, I have to agree, horrendous marking on their goal and 2 silly yellows!

And gave the ball away way too often. Its a tough scenario and I'm not even sure he's a starter but he was having a shocker

Tauro should be much tougher than any possible quarter final match. So get past Tauro and there is a very good chance they make Champions League 

Edited by SpursFlu

44 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

And gave the ball away way too often. Its a tough scenario and I'm not even sure he's a starter but he was having a shocker

Truro should be much tougher than any possible quarter final match. So get past Tauro and there is a very good chance they make Champions League 

Reality is, he’s the backup - Awuah is much better. 

Apparently even the best losing quarter finalists qualify for Champions League.

So Tauro is honestly a final boss for Forge. If they win they are in a very good spot.

Imagine how gutting it would be for Forge if they reach the champions league and draw blooming Toronto FC 😂

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Tauro will be tougher.

They eliminated FC Dallas in the 2018 Champions League.

They also lost to TFC twice in 2011. Back with Winter as manager.

Yes, Tauro *should* theoretically be a tougher game for Forge. I'd even have the hammers as underdogs here. I can't say I'm an expert on Panamanian football, but I know as much as this: their sides tend to be a coin toss in continental competitions. You can either get a really weak side who just embarrass themselves, or a surprise package such as Arabe Unido in 2016-17 who beat Monterrey home and away, and also Independiente in 2019 who slaughtered Toronto FC.

Teams from El Salvador aren't good. I've seen their league a couple times a while back, and the standard is lower then the Canadian Premier League. Barring Alianza who I think could beat any one of our teams, their league isn't great.

What is clear to me is that the Honduran and Costa Rican sides are heads and shoulders over everyone else in this competition.

9 hours ago, Shway said:

Reality is, he’s the backup - Awuah is much better. 

With Awuah suspended there weren't a lot of options, I was concerned about Samuel being moved over to the left but he did ok, the fullbacks should be better next match with Awuah back in a LB spot and Samuel in a more natural RB position, the CB's were good last night! Bekker and Edgar are good players to have to lead a team in a match like that, cool heads are required!

1 hour ago, Ingham said:

Yes, Tauro *should* theoretically be a tougher game for Forge. I'd even have the hammers as underdogs here. I can't say I'm an expert on Panamanian football, but I know as much as this: their sides tend to be a coin toss in continental competitions. You can either get a really weak side who just embarrass themselves, or a surprise package such as Arabe Unido in 2016-17 who beat Monterrey home and away, and also Independiente in 2019 who slaughtered Toronto FC.

Teams from El Salvador aren't good. I've seen their league a couple times a while back, and the standard is lower then the Canadian Premier League. Barring Alianza who I think could beat any one of our teams, their league isn't great.

What is clear to me is that the Honduran and Costa Rican sides are heads and shoulders over everyone else in this competition.

The Panamanian  league just started yesterday. with a 1-1 draw between Tauro and Arabe Unido. The teams just warm up engines. Only 4 Tauro players were in the friendlies between Panama and Costa Rica on October 10 and 13. 

There are several reports that indicate that they will close the Rommel Fernandez stadium to make improvements, especially to the grass. The game is likely to be at the Maracana stadium here in Panama City http://elsiglo.com.pa/deportes/rommel-fernandez-cerrado-falta-mantenimiento/24166505

3 hours ago, Ingham said:

Apparently even the best losing quarter finalists qualify for Champions League.

So Tauro is honestly a final boss for Forge. If they win they are in a very good spot.

Imagine how gutting it would be for Forge if they reach the champions league and draw blooming Toronto FC 😂

Not possible - you can't draw a team from the same country in the first round.