Jump to content

November friendlies


Recommended Posts

Just now, Obinna said:

This is a problem because you disagree with the take. There are lots of takes that get regurgitated, but since they are not controversial nobody considers them to be toxic. Regurgitation is not the problem.

Not true. There are a lot of posters that I generally agree with on things who still annoy the shit out of me with their repetitive bullshit. Regurgitation is absolutely the problem.

If you have a strong argument, it will stand on it's own without the constant need to repeat it. I know that the CSA has a LOT of issues and probably holds the game back in this country as much or more than it pushes it forward. I am as frustrated by our lack of games as anyone. However, ranting about it to the one group of people who fully understand the major, ongoing issues (and already agree with you on the main points) doesn't help anything.

And I'm self-aware enough to know that my tendency to bite on a couple of the nuisance posters that infect the board may annoy people, as well. If we want to have a better community here, we all have to try to do better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The US and Canada should be playing a friendly against each in the US since we have so many US based players right now anyway. Its the only friendly which makes sense for either country right now. I h

Posted this in the Arfield thread, but Scotty mentioned that Herdman will be announcing a squad in the next two weeks. So, it sounds like a friendly is in the works: https://www.rangersnews.uk/in

I have an honours degree in Microbiology and Immunology from McGill.  So yeah, I know how viruses work as opposed to your opinions on virology. And for the record, I wants us to play a friendly i

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Not true. There are a lot of posters that I generally agree with on things who still annoy the shit out of me with their repetitive bullshit. Regurgitation is absolutely the problem.

If you have a strong argument, it will stand on it's own without the constant need to repeat it. I know that the CSA has a LOT of issues and probably holds the game back in this country as much or more than it pushes it forward. I am as frustrated by our lack of games as anyone. However, ranting about it to the one group of people who fully understand the major, ongoing issues (and already agree with you on the main points) doesn't help anything.

And I'm self-aware enough to know that my tendency to bite on a couple of the nuisance posters that infect the board may annoy people, as well. If we want to have a better community here, we all have to try to do better.

"Alphonso Davies is our best young player".

That is a take that gets regurgitated time and again. Does it annoy you due to its repetitive nature? If so fair enough. You may genuinely get annoyed when people repeat the same thing, even if you agree with it entirely. I suppose if someone repeated "Davies is the best" on every thread I would eventually get annoyed, even though I agree he is :)

We all have different thresholds for repetition and I think in general we tend to have less patience for the repetitive takes we disagree with. That's what I was getting at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing too is that we can flip it around and say the continuous apologetic attitude towards how the CSA handled this window is "repetitive bullshit". This has been equally repetitive, right? Everytime the voices criticizing the CSA grew louder an apologetic voice countering it was not far behind, and vice versa. It takes two to tango. So if you acknowledge this was equally a problem, then fair enough. I do agree we can all be better.

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The USA have the player depth to call a non-MLS squad for their games this month. That is much more difficult for us.

 

Except so do we. To claim otherwise is baffling. This isn’t up for debate. I won’t even mention the players we have from a whole domestic league that is out of season, save Forge.

GKs: Borjan, Leutwiler, Thomas, Viscosi, Desjardins, Breza, Busti, Filion, Nogueira

DF: Vitoria, Kennedy, Adekugbe, Romeo, James, Sadiki, Godinho, Bassong, Sturing, Hainault 

MF: Arfield, Hutchinson, Okello, Eustaquio, Hemati, Ennin, Trafford, Paton, Wotherspoon, Petrasso, Hoilett, Twardek, Millar, Corbeanu, Borges, Froese

FW: David, Brym, Ongaro, Elva, Zanatta, Boakye, Larin

40+ players right there without even getting into CPL/USL/VWFC guys or players like Henry, Cordova or guys like Mitrovic, Ferreira, Jebbison and McGill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Except so do we. To claim otherwise is baffling. This isn’t up for debate. I won’t even mention the players we have from a whole domestic league that is out of season, save Forge.

GKs: Borjan, Leutwiler, Thomas, Viscosi, Desjardins, Breza, Busti, Filion, Nogueira

DF: Vitoria, Kennedy, Adekugbe, Romeo, James, Sadiki, Godinho, Bassong, Sturing, Hainault 

MF: Arfield, Hutchinson, Okello, Eustaquio, Hemati, Ennin, Trafford, Paton, Wotherspoon, Petrasso, Hoilett, Twardek, Millar, Corbeanu, Borges, Froese

FW: David, Brym, Ongaro, Elva, Zanatta, Boakye, Larin

40+ players right there without even getting into CPL/USL/VWFC guys or players like Henry, Cordova or guys like Mitrovic, Ferreira, Jebbison and McGill.

Yes, we could have played. And the CSA was clearly thinking about it.

What percentage of those guys will be in our ideal 23 man squad?

What percentage of those guys will be in the next 11 + 3 that will see playing time on our next competitive match day?

What percentage of those guys wanted to travel for a friendly given the increased difficulties and risks and the condensed calendar for the 2nd half of 2020?

It may not have been worth the time and effort given the opponents and hosting venues we could find.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Norwegian government has banned the national team from travelling to Romania and Austria for upcoming Nations League matches this week.  Austria is also under a 24 hr curfew effective Tuesday for two weeks, which might mean the shutdown of the Austrian Bundesliga.  The Czech League was shut down for all of October.  Danish and Swedish players in the Premier League are not being released to play for their countries.  Salah went to play for Egypt and is now out for at least two matches with Liverpool after testing positive.

Things are going to get worse before they get better; I don't see any friendlies in the near future for us.  If I'm Rangers, Lille, Besiktas, or whatever club, I'd be quietly putting in the ear of my player to stay put.  And for once, I would not blame them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

The Norwegian government has banned the national team from travelling to Romania and Austria for upcoming Nations League matches this week.  Austria is also under a 24 hr curfew effective Tuesday for two weeks, which might mean the shutdown of the Austrian Bundesliga.  The Czech League was shut down for all of October.  Danish and Swedish players in the Premier League are not being released to play for their countries.  Salah went to play for Egypt and is now out for at least two matches with Liverpool after testing positive.

Things are going to get worse before they get better; I don't see any friendlies in the near future for us.  If I'm Rangers, Lille, Besiktas, or whatever club, I'd be quietly putting in the ear of my player to stay put.  And for once, I would not blame them.

My club team lost another player to COVID quarantine (best case scenario as he tested positive) after international duty (Yarmalenko for the Ukraine) and there was scare after the England/RoI game for another couple.   Similar story last window. 

We are in lockdown again in hope for some kind of Christmas. 

Football is huge business here, so I understand why they persist and obviously enjoy watching the club games but I see the other side as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, when my mom told me money doesn't grow on trees, she was actually right? 

My observation as of late is, a lot people must have grown up with mothers who told them that other people's money grows on trees. Or mothers who just gave them anything they wanted

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 3:31 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Everybody is hoping that the US strikers they call up to really well so that Akinola chooses us, I prefer to hope that he just chooses us regardless and turns out to be a better option than anything they have.

Yes.  We should always prefer the ones who play for Canada because they want to play for Canada and not because its easier to choose canada or improves their chances of playing internationally.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There has to be a purpose to playing friendlies.  One purpose that i see is that such matches would build famiarity and on-field chemistry amongst the players who will be involved in WCQ.  

But there is no point in playing a freindly just to trot out a bunch of guys who wont be involved in world cup qualifying.   Herdman, by now, should already know 75%-80% of the players who will make up the WCQ squad. Including the most of the starters.  Therefore, i had to roll my eyes at a list posted above of players who (except for maybe a handfull) have no chance what so ever of being on the WCQ squad.  So why play a freindly just to trot most of those guys?  What are you going to learn from just one game?  In the early stages of concacaf world cup qualifying, canada will be playing mostly minnows,  therefore there is going to be chance to finetune and adjust that other 20-25% of the squad that Herdman might not be 100% sure about.  

in short,  a friendly would have been nice if you would have had most of those 75-80% of the players i talked about.  But its not big issue at all if none are played in this window.   It doesnt sound to me, that the americans will get anything out of their match with Wales.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Free kick said:

There has to be a purpose to playing friendlies.  One purpose that i see is that such matches would build famiarity and on-field chemistry amongst the players who will be involved in WCQ.  

But there is no point in playing a freindly just to trot out a bunch of guys who wont be involved in world cup qualifying.   Herdman, by now, should already know 75%-80% of the players who will make up the WCQ squad. Including the most of the starters.  Therefore, i had to roll my eyes at a list posted above of players who (except for maybe a handfull) have no chance what so ever of being on the WCQ squad.  So why play a freindly just to trot most of those guys?  What are you going to learn from just one game?  In the early stages of concacaf world cup qualifying, canada will be playing mostly minnows,  therefore there is going to be chance to finetune and adjust that other 20-25% of the squad that Herdman might not be 100% sure about.  

in short,  a friendly would have been nice if you would have had most of those 75-80% of the players i talked about.  But its not big issue at all if none are played in this window.   It doesnt sound to me, that the americans will get anything out of their match with Wales.
 

 

Yeah that is one purpose. 

Another purpose is to grow the player pool.

Whether it was worth it or not this time around is debatable, but we cannot say there is no point just because most of the players won't be involved in wcq. If that's the case we may as well not have a camp poutine in Panama.

As for the Americans, I think their friendly was a "nice to have", with many up-and-comers able to win caps. Mission accomplished on their end I would say.

As for us, not playing is not the end of the world. It would have been nice, like you said. Coulda played, shoulda played, but didn't play. If we have a good winter camp in Panama, hopefully a long one with at least two games, it will be all good.

Edited by Obinna
Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to the US playing Panama right now, Costa Rica is playing against "Basque Country", according to livesoccer.com. Along with the Coromos Islands, that seems to be another new entry into international football (at least, I wasn't aware that either were fielding teams before).

Edit: Panama just took a 1-0 lead on the US

Edited by Gian-Luca
Link to post
Share on other sites

US 6-2 over Panama. I watched a bit of it. Not at all intense as past US/Panama Gold Cup matches I have seen but this was expected. Fairly wide open with only getting chippy late in the second.

With 3 passes, Panama scored early on a free header allowed by Ream and Miazga. Then US dominated rest of the half with 3 goals. Reyna got his first US goal on a free kick near the box. Panama keeper made a bit of an error along with probably another in the second half but this was his first cap. US played with a striker this time as Gioacchini scored his first two US goals. But he missed a hat trick after taking a poor penalty in the second due to a hand ball. He was the right place at the right time for his goals but I don't think he showed enough to be considered the US #1 striker. 

Panama took back a bit of match in the second half and got a goal. Fajardo got his first two Panama goals - plays for La Chorrera in Panama. In the last 7 minutes, US scored 3 more with Soto getting his first two US goals. Both Gioacchini & Soto barely cracked a smile after scoring their first US goals while Fajardo celebrated for a couple of minutes.

Panama played with a largely different lineup than the one used vs Japan on the weekend. They had an Anderlecht player, 2 Israel-based players and the rest play in Central/South American leagues. 3 former MLS players were in the 11 including TFC's Amanda Cooper. Impact's Browne came in as a sub. Panama's current 3 MLS players weren't in Austria. So a Bish team.

Christiansen was hired as Panama's manager in July. He's a Dane but was a Spanish international. He has managed in UAE, Cyprus, Leeds & Belgium. I assume all of these friendlies are for him to see the player pool.

US used a fairly similar lineup to Wales. GGG wanted to see more of his starters even though clubs had called him to limit their minutes. Fox mentioned GGG didn't play a true striker vs Wales because he didn't think Gioacchini or Soto were on par with the other players in training. They also said GGG is really interested in seeing Dike as a striker - so maybe ahead of Ayo? Possible December camp would be for MLS players. They're playing ES on the 9th even though MLS playoffs won't be over.

 

Edited by red card
Link to post
Share on other sites

A COVID positive test in itself is hardly a disaster, for a professional athlete. Of course the key will be to limit opportunities for widespread transmission, and for the most part most teams playing have achieved that. 

Again if Panama, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Nicaragua can all organize matches right now, I have no idea why CSA should get a pass. The entire world of football has been able to adjust to the current reality, but only our federation can't? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...