November friendlies

spitfire

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

Perfect, thx for clarification. That's good to know especially as a former player, he will know what players want. 

Assuming he is TD for both men and women teams? 

I was only going off the list posted that had him as

technical director

JASON DEVOS - Director of Development

Ya, he acts as TD for all programs. The podcast he hosts actually offers a lot of insight into what he does, where a large portion of the CSA revenue goes and what they do on a day to day basis.

3 minutes ago, VinceA said:

That US roster looks like so much fun.

Sad thing is Canada can have a fun roster like that too but you know we're at the mercy of the Cash Strapped Association.

I will say I'm glad Akinola was not on that list, but we may have been saved by TFC being in the playoffs. 

Edited by apbsmith

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its also possible when they started to look into it the situation was as bad.

What do you mean here? The situation was bad in terms of covid? In terms of finding a game and location? Two different things.

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

Maybe it was too cost prohibitive to carry out covid protocols for a behind closed door friendly.

Sure, and if that was the case it was not about the opinion of medical health experts, it was about money at the core.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, apbsmith said:

I will say I'm glad Akinola was not on that list, but we may have been saved by TFC being in the playoffs. 

It was an all European roster, so I don't think we can take too much comfort in him not being called. I fear he is still very much on their radar and with a program who doesn't play, who can blame him at this point?

3 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Of course not, why would allocations be the same this year as any other year?

And no I’m not going to compile links and post them again to this site, I’ve don’t that multiple times. All of these conversations have been had before, the threads still exist. One thing that’s always lacking from those who criticize, is an idea of where things should be done differently. I’m all for accountability but if you want to question those who are allocating the money, point to what you would do differently. 

Okay cool you're right, I have seen you talk about this before, although I have missed the links that you may have posted. However sometimes those who criticize may not have the answers, but definitely know things need to be done differently and not stay the way they are or accept how things are.

For instance majority of companies in Canada, had to make cuts to their organizations to reallocate funds, and improve/adjust the way they do things to maintain their positioning in the marketplace. So I'll suggest that layoffs need to be made, so that the necessary money can go into improving the main products (MNT/WNT). 

We have all these people employed, but on a sporting level don't see that if we don't get together often enough it won't yield the results we need. It's confusing.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

FWIW, I started a thread to co-locate constructive discussion of strategies to improve things.   

Well played. Internet ramblings can only get you so far. 

Lots of bright people with probably some really smart and possible ideas and suggestions. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Okay cool you're right, I have seen you talk about this before, although I have missed the links that you may have posted. However sometimes those who criticize may not have the answers, but definitely know things need to be done differently and not stay the way they are or accept how things are.

For instance majority of companies in Canada, had to make cuts to their organizations to reallocate funds, and improve/adjust the way they do things to maintain their positioning in the marketplace. So I'll suggest that layoffs need to be made, so that the necessary money can go into improving the main products (MNT/WNT). 

We have all these people employed, but on a sporting level don't see that if we don't get together often enough it won't yield the results we need. It's confusing.

I second this. If money is tight you need to trim the fat, and there seems to be a lot of fat. Easy for me to say. Lay-offs are never easy. I wouldn't want to do it, but it is one measure that could help, at least in the short term. 

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Mexico especially and the US have tv deals they need to honor and get money from. Canada doesnt

I'm not mad at them at all. It likely makes total sense considering the insane restrictions at the moment 

But if anyone compares the FMF or USSF to  the CSA in anyway is completely ignorant or I hate to say it is stupid.

My comparisons start with Jamaica, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica, and El Salvador.....those federations have big tv deals that generate them a lot of money that they have to honour? I highly doubt that. 

What I can guarantee is that they don't have 40% of revenue generated from people registering to play recreational and competitive soccer. I've looked at the JFF reports and it has debt all over it, but some how they continue to play more friendlies than us.

Edited by Shway

57 minutes ago, Shway said:

The 2018 Annual Report. @dyslexic nam

image.png.8ca02739b92cfb4893d7b018c6f60f81.png

So being the business guy that you are.....would you take a 2018 report, and assume that the same financial spend would be applied to 2020 in the midst of a pandemic? 
And if you know that things are easily accessible since they are posted publicly and someone has stated that they have looked for information that you can easily find, but haven't found it...would you not provide the link to you know make things easy? 

I'm not sexist but why are the women teams getting a bigger piece of the pie than the men's. Should be equal at the very least.

Also, they have a revenue problem. They should be more creative in terms of sponsorship and other means of revenues. That's ultimately their job. If the current structure prevents that from happening, than maybe they should break out from the government umbrella entirely and rethink their mode of operations.

If that's not possible, LOBBY THE F HARDER FOR MORE FUNDS FROM A GOVERNMENT WHO'S IN SPENDING MODE. WE ARE CO-HOSTING A F'N WORLD F'N CUP.

WAKE THE F UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

end of rant

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

My problem is the seeming lack of ambition to make money. They don’t make buying customizable Canada jerseys easy.. they should be advertising that. Think of how many Davies shirts they could get on Xmas lists this year.

Here's the people that "should" be working on that:

BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
SANDRA GAGE - Chief Marketing Officer
DOMINIC MARTIN - Director, Marketing

Perhaps they're too busy with all the overtime being asked of them.

Overall I think the frustrating thing top to bottom is even before the pandemic we didn't play games, particularly at youth level. And after a year of not doing anything due to COVID (and not needing to spend money outside of the Jan camp) now they're saying there's no money once again to do anything, where did the budgeted money for 2020 go?

It's insane that Scott Arfield joined the team in 2016 and has only 19 caps, or that so many players ultimately end up with less than 10 youth caps from U17 to U23 combined. That's just wrong for a country our size and the talent we produce. There needs to be change.

We play games it seems at a slightly more frequent rate than some of the poorer Carribean nations. At this rate it feels our resources are equivalent Saint Vincent or Grenada.

Edited by VinceA

Is the CSA's stated position that we can't afford to play as many games as the teams we aspire to compete with? Is it part of the long term development plan to play more games? It's a bit strange you never hear much from the Canadian soccer pundits about it and the effects on the programs development

21 minutes ago, Nello said:

It's a bit strange you never hear much from the Canadian soccer pundits about it and the effects on the programs development

I agree. No pundits ask the tough questions other than Sid & Tim. 

The rest are two worried about networking or losing their press passes. We have journos amongst us, who don't write questioning articles for this exact same reason. 

Granted, Covid has been a deterrent. But these issues at the youth and senior levels have been going on longer then the past 6-7 months. And yes the US does have more money then us, But if the lack of games is really one of the main causes that is hurting our programs then we have to find other ways to make money.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

People really do have short memories and forget the games we played earlier in the the year to try to raise our FIFA rankings and the games we had scheduled in Victoria that had to be canceled.

And then act as if Covid is still not a deterrent today. The US soccer program has way more money than us. 

The Victoria games were cancelled because of Canadian quarantine rules, which are still in place. The November plans to play in Europe were cancelled because medical experts advised that we should not play in Europe. That is their story anyway. Apples and Oranges. 

I guess the California friendlies are fair game for your point. I am not actually sure what your point is to be honest..

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The Victoria games were cancelled because of Canadian quarantine rules, which are still in place. The November plans to play in Europe were cancelled because medical experts advised that we should not play in Europe. That is their story anyway. Apples and Oranges. 

I guess the California friendlies are fair game for your point. I am not actually sure what your point is to be honest..

The point is people have short memories. Acting as if the CSA wasn't trying earlier in the year.

I know you downplay covid so I don't expect you to understand.