Dominick Zator

Dub Narcotic

Love that we called him up! Great seeing guys like him start in the CPL and work their way into the fold. Where would this guy be if not for the CPL?

I hope to see Loturi get the nod as well.

IF both of these guys come in, it also suggests that Herdman is willing to call in new faces and expand the pool. I had a fear he wouldn't do so, but the reality was that we had established our group and were preparing that group for the World Cup.

Now we are at the start of a new cycle, so new faces would be a refreshing sight. Good start with the Zator call. 

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

IF both of these guys come in, it also suggests that Herdman is willing to call in new faces and expand the pool. I had a fear he wouldn't do so, but the reality was that we had established our group and were preparing that group for the World Cup.

I would expect new faces or younger faces getting another or longer look based on club form (Shaffelburg) right now.  A right footed CB is a need spot while centre midfield is another that is open for business.  Heck, we even have another new face (Hiebert) in the LCB mix with incumbents Miller, Kennedy, and Cornelius.  Good stuff.

He had his core, including depth guys, established for WCQ and into Qatar but that is done.  Time to move on from some, maybe several, unless their club form and situations improve.

Competing for spots in the immediate future and beyond is a good thing.  What message does it send if you call up a relegation-threatened Belgian Div 2 club's bench warmer?

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I would expect new faces or younger faces getting another or longer look based on club form (Shaffelburg) right now.  A right footed CB is a need spot while centre midfield is another that is open for business.  Heck, we even have another new face (Hiebert) in the LCB mix with incumbents Miller, Kennedy, and Cornelius.  Good stuff.

He had his core, including depth guys, established for WCQ and into Qatar but that is done.  Time to move on from some, maybe several, unless their club form and situations improve.

Competing for spots in the immediate future and beyond is a good thing.  What message does it send if you call up a relegation-threatened Belgian Div 2 club's bench warmer?

Yeah, I fully expect Fraser to go the way of Manjrekar James/Tabla/Tissot/Ouimette etc and be exiled from the national team until he raises his level. If he isn’t there are questions to be asked. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

33 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah, I fully expect Fraser to go the way of Manjrekar James/Tabla/Tissot/Ouimette etc and be exiled from the national team until he raises his level. If he isn’t there are questions to be asked. 

None of those guys was ever a "Herdman" guy, though. I do agree he needs to find a better club level. I believe he can find a better club level, and we should ask questions if he keeps getting called without finding a better club level. Do I expect him to be exiled until he does? I am not sure. I think he's earned his way into the pool in Herdman's eyes, so I can see Herdman giving him some leniency. How far that gets extended would be the question for me. Maybe he gets called into this camp, or the next camp, but eventually Fraser won't be able to keep up with everyone else's development if he stays where he is at. 

Edited by Obinna

On 3/15/2023 at 5:01 PM, Obinna said:

None of those guys was ever a "Herdman" guy, though. I do agree he needs to find a better club level. I believe he can find a better club level, and we should ask questions if he keeps getting called without finding a better club level. Do I expect him to be exiled until he does? I am not sure. I think he's earned his way into the pool in Herdman's eyes, so I can see Herdman giving him some leniency. How far that gets extended would be the question for me. Maybe he gets called into this camp, or the next camp, but eventually Fraser won't be able to keep up with everyone else's development if he stays where he is at. 

Agreed. At least he's playing regularly now for Deinze. Baby steps. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Herdman has his methods, and they aren't kind to new players, generally speaking.

This, for the most part. If there is no danger of losing a player to another nation (I don't think Loturi will rep Burundi anytime soon after this call) then its integrate to accumulate to get minutes in games that matter. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...and it appears to be Kyle Hiebert, who was only called up after an injury to one of the original callups unlike Dominick Zator, that impressed John Herdman more in training. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

What did Herdman say about Zator? I haven’t listened to interviews yet

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Hiebert came into the game as an injury sub for Kennedy and played as a LCB in a back 3 with Derek & AJ.  Perhaps  Zator can't play on the left?

That's quite possible.  Zator could've been injury cover on the right for the first game and Johnston was out.  Hiebert was injury cover on the left.  That would make sense to me.