Center Backs - Our Weakest Link

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There has recently been contact.  Stay tuned.

Right now, our big hope is that Kennedy handles the step up to Bundesliga 2 level, establishes himself as an everyday starter with his club, and is ready to give us a strong option at CB for Canada.

Your missing a few players. Scott Kennedy is one. Dunn, Romeo , Zator, Gasparotto, MacNaughton, Meilleur-Giguère, Edgar, Didic, Straith, Montgomery,Hainault

33 minutes ago, Kent said:

I kinda understand why, but it's funny to see Vancouver described as a tire fire and LAFC described as a good team, when they are only separated by 3 points in the standings¬†ūüėÜ

This and Montreal doesn’t get nearly as much grief as the Caps, both being complete shite. At least the Caps start up to 6 Canadians in a game 

By the time he finally decides to play for Canada he may be of little to no use. 

I can see him stringing himself along, getting more and more hopeful for Portugal the better his play gets. He could earn a recall at 30 and it could be his last and it could be all worth it for him. That's the impression I get. Seems to be more of a "I want to play for Portugal" guy than a "I want to play international football" guy. 

Vitoria joined Canada very late and he was basically Ferreira's age when he joined.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Vitoria joined Canada very late and he was basically Ferreira's age when he joined.

I believe Vitoria joined in 2016 when he would have been around 29. So basically if Ferreira switches at the end of next year he would have followed the same path as Vitoria.

I just hope that in five years time I'm not reading this thread with comments on how at the age of 33 Ferreira is our best CB option. I think I may need a drink!

13 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

I believe Vitoria joined in 2016 when he would have been around 29. So basically if Ferreira switches at the end of next year he would have followed the same path as Vitoria.

I just hope that in five years time I'm not reading this thread with comments on how at the age of 33 Ferreira is our best CB option. I think I may need a drink!

One difference between Vitoria and Ferreira is that Ricardo already had a taste of the senior team, so it may be harder for him to let go of that dream.

The other difference is that he was derailed by knee injuries. His promising career was halted through no fault of his own. Having gone through it myself (obviously at the amateur level), I know what it's like to try and play at the level you once did. It's harder to quit in a way, because the thing which took you out was not in your control. Kind of different than being out of form or even aging out. So I understand it must be hard for him to let go. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

One difference between Vitoria and Ferreira is that Ricardo already had a taste of the senior team, so it may be harder for him to let go of that dream.

The other difference is that he was derailed by knee injuries. His promising career was halted through no fault of his own. Having gone through it myself (obviously at the amateur level), I know what it's like to try and play at the level you once did. It's harder to quit in a way, because the thing which took you out was not in your control. Kind of different than being out of form or even aging out. So I understand it must be hard for him to let go. 

I think another factor for Ferreira will be the injury history. If he hasn't already he'll soon realize that he only has a limited number of years left to financially benefit from his talents. He may not want to risk an injury during an international match unless he is able to get a multi-year contract and there may not be too many teams that are willing to offer him one.

29 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Montgomery is on the right trajectory to become an MLS-level CB. That's good enough (for the moment). 

I thought the same about DIdic several years ago when he was a finalist for USL defender of the year and was in the 18 for SKC but never got into a game.  Sure would be nice if a few more guys jumped a level and guys like James and Miller got more minutes where they are.  

Regardless of James playing time in Denmark herdman is going to have to give him a regular opportunity in the 11. I’d rather have a Cb with a ucl club playing Sporadically then a Cb from the cpl or usl getting 90 m a game

I suspect that they will go 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 regardless

Edited by top cheese
1 hour ago, top cheese said:

Regardless of James playing time in Denmark herdman is going to have to give him a regular opportunity in the 11. I’d rather have a Cb with a ucl club playing Sporadically then a Cb from the cpl or usl getting 90 m a game

I suspect that they will go 3-5-2 and 5-3-2 regardless

If it means James plays regular league minutes if FCM are gonna focus on the Champions League I'm all for it.

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I thought the same about DIdic several years ago when he was a finalist for USL defender of the year and was in the 18 for SKC but never got into a game.  Sure would be nice if a few more guys jumped a level and guys like James and Miller got more minutes where they are.  

Dallas tend to give young players a shot though. 

Doneil didn‚Äôt react kindly to this question during one of his interviews. ¬†While many in here would disagree with Henry (probably not face to faceūüėú), let‚Äôs hope the perceived weakness¬†really pushes a few of our CB‚Äôs to greater success as the spots are truly open.

With the current state of Concacaf and ours, we are really only a solidified back line away from m being firmly in the mix for #3 in the region and competing in every national men’s competition.

Edited by Club Linesman
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, Shway said:

A lot of Kennedy talk, do we even know if he‚Äôs been contacted? @Ian Kennedy¬†last stated that no one from the CSA had contacted his son - which is bullsh√Įt considering we‚Äôve reached out to Martin Amuz.¬†

I hope it’s just old news.

There has recently been contact.  Stay tuned.

With our CB situation being what it is where, seemingly, ~10 guys can make a case for being included on a roster, I'm really curious: if we had an important match tomorrow, and we name 4 CBs to the 23 man roster, who would those 4 be?  I'm struggling with this one, but perhaps:  Henry, Cornelius, Vitoria, James.

Who would others select?

56 minutes ago, Addona said:

Henry, Cornelius, Vitoria, James.

Who would others select?

They are definitely our best 4 CBs at the moment. Alternatively if Kennedy could get consistent minutes I would say he's ahead of James. Otherwise we don't have too many choices Waterman, Jakovic and Montgomery  in the MLS and in the CPL Zator, Didic and Schaale (if he's eligible yet) but none of them are ahead of Henry, Cornelius, Vitoria and James.

Whats Jakovic gotta do aside from rewrite history to get a little love and faith?  He's played more minutes on a better team in the same league as Cornelius and we still rate him lower.  I understand he's on the wrong end of career trajectory, but CANMNT is looking for quick wins, not player development.  The development needs to come at club level.  

Hopefully the Impact start giving Waterman regular minutes to wind down the season and plan for next year, i don't see them even trying to hold on to Fanni or Camacho.  Binks will most likely join Bologna, so logic says give as many minutes to Waterman and Yao as possible.  They've proven they're not worse than Camacho.

Hmm I think Cornelius is sort of falling into the next tier, having not played in a while. I think group 1 is Vitoria, Henry, James and then it's anyone's guess. Waterman hasn't looked like an MLS CB to me, Kennedy seems to be more of a long-term plan for Jahn Regensburg (no subs yet) and playing Jakovic just feels bleh. Zator might legitimately be 4th, which is... a bit concerning. 

Anyways, just to be clear, I think the freak out over our CB's is a bit overblown. The truth is, the rest of our team was pretty similar to our CB situation now 5 years ago.. It's the only part that hasn't evolved. Kind of inevitable it would happen somewhere.

Edited by PiedPilko
36 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Anyways, just to be clear, I think the freak out over our CB's is a bit overblown. The truth is, the rest of our team was pretty similar to our CB situation now 5 years ago.. It's the only part that hasn't evolved. Kind of inevitable it would happen somewhere.

I dont know, at 2015 gold cup we had Edgar in the English championship, Hainault in 2Bunda, Jakovic in J-league and Straith was in Norway.  I think to say we have slipped at CB in the last 5 years isnt being overblown.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know, at 2015 gold cup we had Edgar in the English championship, Hainault in 2Bunda, Jakovic in J-league and Straith was in Norway.  I think to say we have slipped at CB in the last 5 years isnt being overblown.  

Man that sounds rich in CB's if you ask me!  And i think that was also around the time when Henry was coming up and looking very promising.