Maradona in Canada

The Athletic just posted a fascinating long read feature story on Diego Maradona's brief stint in the CNSL in 1996.  Really cool read.  His brother is a Canadian citizen.

https://theathletic.com/2062114/2020/09/14/god-was-in-town-the-night-diego-maradona-played-in-canada/

It's only 1.25/month so don't be a d!ck and paste the article

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1302001929137147907

16 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Yes a great story.  The author got some background info from my report back in 1996 and links to it in his story and mentions my site as being in 'a quiet corner of the internet'!     

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/cnsla061.htm

Any idea why St. Catharines and Oakville didn’t want to participate? If I was a player in that league I would be over the moon to get to play with or against Maradona.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Any idea why St. Catharines and Oakville didn’t want to participate? If I was a player in that league I would be over the moon to get to play with or against Maradona.

St Catharines played Toronto Italia the night before (ie Sunday)  at Birchmount Stadium.  I pulled my comments from that game about the answer I was given by the Wolves management on that night.  This was the Labour Day weekend (thanks Google!).  I guess I could also add traffic as a reason.    

Final Score:.........Toronto Italia.........2.............St Catharines Wolves...........1.......

Attendance was about 500. Diego Maradona was there again with his daughters and nephews watching his brother Lalo play. He was watched by fans as he tried to watch the game. I wondered how tired the players would be if they all had to play in the Exhibition game tomorrow. The manager of St Catharines told me his team would not be supplying any players to the CNSL All-Stars (neither would Oakville Canadian Westerns) so tonight's game was all the Wolves had to concentrate on. Wolves had played a tournament over in Europe a few months ago and have a lot of games to make up. I'm waiting to hear the teams that they played and expect I'll post something about it soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 4:30 AM, Rocket Robin said:

St Catharines played Toronto Italia the night before (ie Sunday)  at Birchmount Stadium.  I pulled my comments from that game about the answer I was given by the Wolves management on that night.  This was the Labour Day weekend (thanks Google!).  I guess I could also add traffic as a reason.    

Final Score:.........Toronto Italia.........2.............St Catharines Wolves...........1.......

Attendance was about 500. Diego Maradona was there again with his daughters and nephews watching his brother Lalo play. He was watched by fans as he tried to watch the game. I wondered how tired the players would be if they all had to play in the Exhibition game tomorrow. The manager of St Catharines told me his team would not be supplying any players to the CNSL All-Stars (neither would Oakville Canadian Westerns) so tonight's game was all the Wolves had to concentrate on. Wolves had played a tournament over in Europe a few months ago and have a lot of games to make up. I'm waiting to hear the teams that they played and expect I'll post something about it soon.

Ha, I went to an extraordinary friendly Catalonia-Argentina in 2009 at Camp Nou and Maradona was seated fairly close to where we were, maybe 15 seats away. And I admit I spent a lot of time looking at him, must have turned to look every 2 minutes. Yup, there he was, Maradona.

[Canada MLS anecdote I just saw checking that game, Piatti and Bojan played that day]

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 5 months later...

Diego's Last Dance | The Night Maradona Played In Toronto - YouTube

A short film about that weekend.  

Only disappointment was it is only 6 minutes. I'm on camera twice for about three seconds total (red toque) plus four voice overs. Not saying I deserve more time if only that long but the owner and players stories could have made it 60 easily! 

On 3/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Rocket Robin said:

Diego's Last Dance | The Night Maradona Played In Toronto - YouTube

A short film about that weekend.  

Only disappointment was it is only 6 minutes. I'm on camera twice for about three seconds total (red toque) plus four voice overs. Not saying I deserve more time if only that long but the owner and players stories could have made it 60 easily! 

Rocket do you remember if Ennio Perruzza was the PA announcer that day . I’m not sure if you know or not but Ennio passed away on January 15th.  at the young age of 54 unfortunately, he did a lot of PA announcing for Toronto Italia games and NSL CSL games for many years , a big loss in the local Toronto soccer community .

20 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Rocket do you remember if Ennio Perruzza was the PA announcer that day . I’m not sure if you know or not but Ennio passed away on January 15th.  at the young age of 54 unfortunately, he did a lot of PA announcing for Toronto Italia games and NSL CSL games for many years , a big loss in the local Toronto soccer community .

That is definitely Ennio's voice doing the intros in that game.  In fact on the title page for the video, where Diego is getting a massage, that is Ennio in the background wearing the blue tie.  

He was always co-operative letting me write down the player rosters.  In those days there only ever seemed to be one copy available.  There were some games when the microphone or sound system didn't work and he'd just open the window and yell out the goal scorer or substitutes!  

I did not know he had passed away but I was thinking of him the last few months.