Canadians Abroad September 11th to 17th

jordan

On 9/12/2020 at 2:55 PM, Nate3322 said:

Germany - DFB Pokal

Striker Matthew Durrans is on the bench for 1860 Munich as they face Eintracht Frankfurt

Remained on the bench as Eintracht beat 1860 1-2.

Elva started and played the entire game in a 0-1 loss to Fortuna Düsseldorf. 

Straith (Hansa) stayed on the bench and Kennedy (Jahn) wasn't in the team. 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:13 AM, spitfire said:

Liam Millar goes 90 in a hard fought 1-0 win for Liverpool FC U23s  in the mini Derby vs Everton u23

013FFC6B-9C86-44F8-9640-C6C71A7BCC73.jpeg

I just watched the 10-minute highlights package of this match. Looks like Liam swapped from LW to RW in the first half, and back again in the second. He had a couple of strong solo runs, but also some nice bits of one-touch passing movements with the FB and MF on his side. He set up what looked like a second goal for Liverpool with a nice backheel rollback inside the box, but it was ruled out by a bizarre offside call where the linesman only raised his flag after Liverpool had practically lined up in their own half for the restart. Weird.

Anything to report on a potential loan for Liam before the deadline, @spitfire?

20 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Played 90 in a 5-1 win. He seems to have had a good game according to Fotmob, 7.4 rating which was the highest for someone who didn't score or assist.

yeah, had a solid game for 'enga - pretty comprehensive team effort at the weekend, buoyed off the back of a hat-trick by Kjartansson who was their big money move in the window to try and lift them back into European contention.

Milan Borjan starts for Red Star in their UEFA Champions League qualifying round matchup vs Omonia Nicosia of Cyprus

Update: Currently 1-1 and starting the first half of extra time.  Milan unable to to save any of the 4 penalties he faced as Red Star lose 4-2 to Omonia Nicosia. 

Red Star lose to a Cypriotic team and are now eliminated from UEFA Champions League.  Will now enter Europa League Qualification Phase.  Interesting, that there was some earlier discussion on the quality of the Cypriot league. 

Edited by Corazon

Guess I'll do it..

Impact vs Whitecaps:

Whitecaps:

Hasal, Cornelius, Teibert, Bair starting, Raposo, Baldisimo, Ricketts on bench, Cavallini out with red card

Impact: 

ZBG, Shome, Piette starting, Waterman, Yao, Bayiha on bench

John Herdman apparently in attendance.

Edit: 1-0 Vancouver on an odd penalty

2-0 Vancouver

2-1

Whitecaps win 3-1 so it'll be TFC in the finals

Thoughts:

Vancouver's a lot more entertaining when they concede that there's no way in hell that they're short-passing up the field successfully. Instead, longballing it up and praying has led to 8 goals in the last 3 games.

Cornelius looked very solid, and Hasal looked quite good, albeit with limited chances against. The Impact were shockingly horrible up front, which is unacceptable against a team that's basically conceded you the midfield. 

For the Impact, Piette was pretty meh. Didn't create anything, but his passing was decent. ZBG flew pretty under the radar, but he definitely had a few giveaways. Shome got taken out early after the red card, and I didn't notice him at all.

John Herdman was in attendance, so this could change how our next squad is gonna look. I think Cornelius has gotta be a lock at CB for the time being, and Hasal is making a good case to be our 3rd GK.

VWFC.JPG

Edited by PiedPilko

19 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Guess I'll do it..

Impact vs Whitecaps:

Whitecaps:

Hasal, Cornelius, Teibert, Bair starting, Raposo, Baldisimo, Ricketts on bench, Cavallini out with red card

Impact: 

ZBG, Shome, Piette starting, Waterman, Yao, Bayiha on bench

John Herdman apparently in attendance.

Edit: 1-0 Vancouver on an odd penalty

2-0 Vancouver

2-1

Whitecaps win 3-1 so it'll be TFC in the finals

Thoughts:

Vancouver's a lot more entertaining when they concede that there's no way in hell that they're short-passing up the field successfully. Instead, longballing it up and praying has led to 8 goals in the last 3 games.

Cornelius looked very solid, and Hasal looked quite good, albeit with limited chances against. The Impact were shockingly horrible up front, which is unacceptable against a team that's basically conceded you the midfield. 

For the Impact, Piette was pretty meh. Didn't create anything, but his passing was decent. ZBG flew pretty under the radar, but he definitely had a few giveaways. Shome got taken out early after the red card, and I didn't notice him at all.

John Herdman was in attendance, so this could change how our next squad is gonna look. I think Cornelius has gotta be a lock at CB for the time being, and Hasal is making a good case to be our 3rd GK.

VWFC.JPG

Appreciate the run down a lot of good stuff in here, but this is the Canadians abroad thread. These guys are anything but abroad. Maybe more like Canadians locked down lol

Edited by Obinna

45 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Appreciate the run down a lot of good stuff in here, but this is the Canadians abroad thread. These guys are anything but abroad. Maybe more like Canadians locked down lol

TBH I've never understood why we distinguish between players abroad and players playing at home on this site. I'd prefer to see updates on everyone in one thread

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

TBH I've never understood why we distinguish between players abroad and players playing at home on this site. I'd prefer to see updates on everyone in one thread

Yeah for sure. It would be more efficient for tracking our players.

Perhaps it makes sense to keep the CPL players separate, at least? 

Also, it is cool that we don't really need an "abroad" label anymore, since half of our pool plays domestically now.

We've come a long way.

@Obinna I can remember player updates on both sides for the last three years minimum, and a loosened stance against it since then, I don’t think policing it would make much sense now. 

I would however  prefer to see more than just a few words like x player starts for x team, and would rather see at least who’s playing, the league it’s in and who said player is playing against

Whoscored ..... 

82 Jonathan Osorio

105 Samuel Piette

126 Richie Laryea

135 Zachary Brault-Guillard

151 Mark-Anthony Kaye

161 Alistair Johnson

195 Thomas Hasal

233 Dejan Jakovic

246 Derek Cornelius

264  Raheem Edwards

Gutierrez's rating would be about 160 with more game time. St. Clair in the 170s. Cornelius was near the bottom last year, so ..... glass half full there. Also, after his goal and assist game, Piette was briefly the top dog, at #63.  

Edited by One American

• jordan unpinned this topic