Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I disagree with you on this one. First off "it's really hard to judge the players". I think having our own league greatly improves our ability to judge the players. In the past we had guys like Baboul

“ A native of Montréal, Quebec, Farsi first began to be noticed as a “player to watch” at 14 years old while playing Notre-Dame-de-Grâce AAA. He started playing in Quebec’s Semi-Pro La Première ligue

We suddenly seem to have a lot of U-23 right backs....Brault-Guillard, Johnston, Chung, Farsi. but the question is.....which one of them can compete with Godinho? Okay....i'll see myself out

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

It would be great if we had 5 similar options on the left as well so that at least 1 of them can develop to be a reliable starter for the national team and then we dont have start Davies there.

Well let's see we have Laryea who can play at LB, Sam Adekugbe,  Aviv Solomon, Christian Gutierrez (if he commits), Terique Mohammed, Diyaeddine Abzi, Kamal Miller and Scott Kennedy can play LB. Really our LB situation isn't bad tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Well let's see we have Laryea who can play at LB, Sam Adekugbe,  Aviv Solomon, Christian Gutierrez (if he commits), Terique Mohammed, Diyaeddine Abzi, Kamal Miller and Scott Kennedy can play LB. Really our LB situation isn't bad tbh

Adequate but not ideal. There are just 3 natural LBs playing at an acceptable MNT level in that list and two of them are uncapped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, One American said:

Watching that goal, it tends to confirm my observation that the difference between CanPL and USL versus MLS versus top leagues is less a matter of skill than what's between the ears. Bonehead gift, strong finish. Looks like he's reasonably athletic. 

Certainly for Pacific. We’re bound to gift wrap a goal or two per match because of stupid individual mistakes. That’s been our Achilles heel. There’s definitely a gap in skill too though, which contributes to the mistakes

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SpecialK said:

This is kinda why I hate the CPL. It’s amazing and Canada should have a pro league. But it’s really hard to Judge the players. Because the cap is so low and teams are forced to play U21. In my view the CPL has an identity crisis. It says it wants to be top tier but a league for young players. Well In my view you can’t do both. I love what Terry said on One Nation. I would love to see Farsi vs better players. 

I disagree with you on this one. First off "it's really hard to judge the players". I think having our own league greatly improves our ability to judge the players. In the past we had guys like Babouli playing in Syria, Aleman playing in Costa Rica, Bustos playing in USL, Fisk playing in Ireland, Boakai playing in Finland, and Chung playing in lower levels in Germany. With CPL we put all those guys in one league and we can see how they play in a single league (and how unproven guys like Farsi do against these pros as well), instead of doing the mental gymnastics of trying to figure out what is better, a mid-table Costa Rican team or a bottom table Finnish team, etc.

As for the U21 minutes, I think the rule prevents things like what we see with TFC for example. In any given year, TFC will have a few guys they signed from the academy that are destined to get 0 minutes in the season. I don't think the minutes restrictions are very onerous for the managers. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think all the teams save for Forge easily surpassed the quota this year in some cases more than doubling the minutes requirements. And besides, doesn't Liga MX have youth player requirements? Even the EPL has domestic player rules, which is similar in that it mandates a quota of a specific type of player, and therefor limits a team from building the squad in certain ways. I would argue Liga MX and the EPL don't have identity crises and are in fact top tier leagues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

Well let's see we have Laryea who can play at LB, Sam Adekugbe,  Aviv Solomon, Christian Gutierrez (if he commits), Terique Mohammed, Diyaeddine Abzi, Kamal Miller and Scott Kennedy can play LB. Really our LB situation isn't bad tbh

How you slipped him in I don’t know. But he probably won’t make the U23 team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how we have the best LB in the world (according to the twitter football fans...I mean experts) and we're talking about this. I'm in the anti Davies at LB for Canada boat like most of you but it's funny to think about.

Imo we're good at fullback now, I like ZBG at RB and I think Laryea looks great at LB for TFC. There's also depth now so we can actually start guys based on form, we don't have to start Godinho when he's coming back from injury and hasn't played in a few months, which is what I think happened at the Gold Cup.

It's all about getting some CBs now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cmon man @Bdog, you didn’t have to mention him, we all know he’s done right now. 

Some of you fellers need to keep the same energy for the guys who don’t have their dads to respond on behalf of them. 

I’ve been in the bash camp, but since I haven’t seen him since the gold cup. I’ve come off the kid. The way I see it now is he was one of the guys who were given a real chance, but simply didn’t take advantage of it.

Now we got guys like Farsi, Abzi, Cordova, etc who should be given that same opportunity when it’s time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Shway said:

Cmon man @Bdog, you didn’t have to mention him, we all know he’s done right now. 

Some of you fellers need to keep the same energy for the guys who don’t have their dads to respond on behalf of them. 

I’ve been in the bash camp, but since I haven’t seen him since the gold cup. I’ve come off the kid. The way I see it now is he was one of the guys who were given a real chance, but simply didn’t take advantage of it.

Now we got guys like Farsi, Abzi, Cordova, etc who should be given that same opportunity when it’s time.

 

?

I was making the point that Godinho was put in a bad situation from the fact that he was starting despite not playing much before the Gold Cup, the only other RB we had was ZBG (who should have started) who I guess wasn't proven enough. I had to look it up and Godinho only played 5 games in 2019 before the tourney, I think he had injury problems. If we had guys starting regularly like we do now at RB we wouldn't have had that situation, we could play someone who's in form right now like Laryea, ZBG, Johnston, Farsi, Chung, Cordova, etc.

Also shouldn't you take your own advice when it comes to Liam? He hasn't gotten to play much recently so why keep bringing him down when he hasn't had a chance to go on another loan and prove himself?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Certainly for Pacific. We’re bound to gift wrap a goal or two per match because of stupid individual mistakes. That’s been our Achilles heel. There’s definitely a gap in skill too though, which contributes to the mistakes

Pacific had this problem last season, but more so because of youth. 

Maybe this season is has to do with a more demanding system of play, so mistakes get made. On that Farsi goal I am not sure who it was, but there was someone in the CB position who instead of coming over to challenge him just stayed back and away. That was poor coverage on the mistake as well.

Pacific has yet to have a top keeper as well; I personally think Irving is better than Wirth but neither is amongst the top half dozen keepers in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bdog said:

Also shouldn't you take your own advice when it comes to Liam? He hasn't gotten to play much recently so why keep bringing him down when he hasn't had a chance to go on another loan and prove himself?

Please quote me as to where “I keep bringing him down”. With Liam, all I’ve said is someone else (like Buchanan) deserves a chance/look with CMNT...which is a completely fair statement just solely based on his club situations. He needs a loan, and I’ve said I hope he rips it wherever he goes. Until then he needs to be put on ice from us fans.

Godinho got his chance, now he’s at best an U23 player, especially with the plethora of options in front of him.

Guys like Farsi, and Abzi will continue to emerge within our own system, and we should see these players feature more commonly than the “fortunate” guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 10:32 PM, Shway said:

Some of you fellers need to keep the same energy for the guys who don’t have their dads to respond on behalf of them. 

Why do you have to make some backhanded insult to a great resource we have on this forum. If you want a forum where a bunch of self absorbed dumb asses profess their opinion like they know better than people who have had actual success in the field I am sure there is another forum like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Why do you have to make some backhanded insult to a great resource we have on this forum. If you want a forum where a bunch of self absorbed dumb asses profess their opinion like they know better than people who have had actual success in the field I am sure there is another forum like that.

Don't take only a piece of what I said and use it for your narrative. 
It's not an insult, as there was no disrespect or scornful abuse just more a reference to how people respond here. 
My question is, would the same things be said about Godinho if everyone knew his dad was posting here? I strongly don't think so. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shway said:

Don't take only a piece of what I said and use it for your narrative. 
It's not an insult, as there was no disrespect or scornful abuse just more a reference to how people respond here. 
My question is, would the same things be said about Godinho if everyone knew his dad was posting here? I strongly don't think so. 

You’re absolutely right and your post was not a “backhanded insult” at all. Ironically, anyone who says so is just exhibiting the exact behaviour you’re targeting. 
 

Parents/family are amazing resources for us here and absolutely appreciated as their reactions reflect. But it’s a fan forum after all and they know what they’re in for reading here. Caveat emptor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

So Vancouver, and TFC.... because afaik he’ll be an international player based on current rules, and those spots don’t get “wasted” on Canadian’s.

 With Auro and Morrow out, they have no back-up fullbacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Shway said:

So Vancouver, and TFC.... because afaik he’ll be an international player based on current rules, and those spots don’t get “wasted” on Canadian’s.

 With Auro and Morrow out, they have no back-up fullbacks.

Auro is back this week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...