Quinny coming out as transgendered

Blackdude

5 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Good to know where the transphobes are at. 

WTF!  How is it okay to throw out an accusation like that?  None of what was written above was transphobic.  It was a discussion (at least I thought it was) about how we correctly name them, and how to educate in a reasonable way.  Transphobia is a serious topic and accusations shouldn’t be made so carelessly or to try and make a point.  

12 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Good to know where the transphobes are at. 

I think this type of a response is quite dismissive, and not particularly helpful.  

Perhaps it would be better to explain why using a trans persons previous name is wrong.  My original post was speaking more in the present tense, but I do think that @SthMelbRed made brought up some reasonable points relating to the previous name - or dead name.  The trans people that I know are not famous, and don't have their previous name on World Cup team sheets, so it's easy to refer to them using their preferred name in stories from when we were a kid.  But Quinny is famous - like Caitlin Jenner (OK, maybe not THAT famous...), and so it is much more challenging to separate them from their past self.

When people are not on side, remember that you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar, so perhaps some of us just need some enlightenment without the name calling.  

Not all of us are informed on the subject.  I have resisted about 10 times, from reading this thread and typing..why is that, or who is they, or how will people know what the individual was called previously etc etc if you cant mention it...and have instead gone to google and tried to learn on my own.  It does seem like a area that an old fogey can really step in it without having bad intentions.  

• 4 weeks later...