Sign in to follow this  
Cblake

WTF is up with Canada Soccer, are they totally out to lunch?

Canada Soccer has to have the worst marketing department i have ever seen. Nike is now selling the brand new Canada 2020 kits (Men's and Women's) online before the CSA has even unveiled or release anything about them. lMAO. You also have one of the best young players in the world who just won Champions League, they should be all over this, selling Alphonso's jersey.  I simply do not get it. 

https://www.nike.com/ca/w?q=canada soccer&vst=canada soccer&fbclid=IwAR0FLltR-f_prHNtftPfCL5ZR4xMZhk0aGPWmV5uwKiVPb8aGpNmurvC5yk

Canada 2020 Stadium Home Men's Football ShirtCanada 2020 Stadium Home Women's Football Shirt

That looks more like Nike doesnt give a **** about Canada, no coordination to let them line up something.  Fed ex the kit to wherever Davies (or David) is and let them tweet it out for CSA.  Davies would do a tik tok video with it on and break the internet.  Probably spontaneously get Ferdi Kadioglu and Ferreira to commit to canada.  

First.  Weird.  Something broke down somewhere.  Either it's a Dick Move by Nike or a right royal fumble by Canada Soccer.  Hard to tell which given the parties involved. 

Second.  We aren't talking about club football. Canada Soccer doesn't own Alphonso Davies, or Jon David or anyone else.  Those names belong to those persons until such time as those persons and Canada Soccer arrive at a marketing agreement between the parties which may not even be possible given the players other contractual agreements or Canada Soccer policy.  Both of which I would completely understand. 

Third.  Yeah.  Not a fan.  Of the shirt or the model.     

The gang tattoos on the model are a nice touch.  

On the subject of promotion, there's a legal minefield with image rights.  You can't just use Phonzie to sell merch without coordination with Nike and Phonzie's representatives.  Phonzie is Nike sponsored so he will be the guy (David is with Adidas) but I wouldn't freak out like this.  The CSA's social media feeds have been a Phonzie-fest non stop.

12 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The gang tattoos on the model are a nice touch.  

On the subject of promotion, there's a legal minefield with image rights.  You can't just use Phonzie to sell merch without coordination with Nike and Phonzie's representatives.  Phonzie is Nike sponsored so he will be the guy (David is with Adidas) but I wouldn't freak out like this.  The CSA's social media feeds have been a Phonzie-fest non stop.

Right? A 2 second google search on spider web on the elbow= prison sentence tattoo Do better Nike

Im trying to guess if you guys are being sarcastic or joking with the gang/prison stuff or am I being naive? 

Because I remember being young and thinking anybody with a tattoos is a bad ass, a criminal or a tough guy - oh was I clearly wrong.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Im trying to guess if you guys are being sarcastic or joking with the gang/prison stuff or am I being naive? 

Because I remember being young and thinking anybody with a tattoos is a bad ass, a criminal or a tough guy - oh was I clearly wrong.

Some tattoos just scream prison.  Although the guy could be a spiderman fan I guess.  The tattoo means you've been sitting in prison so long you have cobwebs.  Any poorly done homemade tattoo is suspect.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Some tattoos just scream prison.  Although the guy could be a spiderman fan I guess.  The tattoo means you've been sitting in prison so long you have cobwebs.  Any poorly done homemade tattoo is suspect.  

I guess it really is an age perspective thing - I hope.

Because as an upper aged millennial, I’m used to people getting tattoos that have loose meanings/or have strayed from its original meaning. They just got them because they seen someone and liked how it looked, they’re a lot more accessible to get and/or just simply wanting a tattoo.

It goes with the old saying we’ve all heard “don’t judge a book by its cover”.....but I guess these sentiments are the same reason why people are kneeling today. 

Spider web tattoos have been trendy for at least 30 years. I use to know people in 90s who had them and had definitely not been to prison.  I think they have long lost their association with serving a prison term.

Also, this is the Canadian Women's new kit. Why is it in the Men’s section? Seem like more CSA bashing where it is actually not valid. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I guess it really is an age perspective thing - I hope.

Because as an upper aged millennial, I’m used to people getting tattoos that have loose meanings/or have strayed from its original meaning. They just got them because they seen someone and liked how it looked, they’re a lot more accessible to get and/or just simply wanting a tattoo.

It goes with the old saying we’ve all heard “don’t judge a book by its cover”.....but I guess these sentiments are the same reason why people are kneeling today. 

Good point.  Atiba's longtime teammate at Besiktas, Ricardo Quaresma, was infamous for the teardrop tattoo under his eye.  Typically, the teardrop tattoo indicates you have successfully killed another person.  Most logical explanation is that he's just a total dumb@ss and didn't know what he was getting.

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Also, this is the Canadian Women's new kit. Why is it in the Men’s section? Seem like more CSA bashing where it is actually not valid. 

It’s so weird, how they are stressing it solely as a CWNT kit on social media. Is the men’s suppose to drop soon? What’s the purpose of having separate kits in non WC years.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:20 AM, Shway said:

Tattooed men who are not behind bars are either latent criminals or degenerate aristocrats. If someone who is tattooed dies in freedom, then he does so a few years before he would have committed murder. 

Adolf Loos, "Ornament and Crime", 1908

I'd recommend this great essay, if you can get past its cultural racism. Its biting satire and economic critique of decorative excess make it one of the most emblematic wayposts to artistic modernity. What he says of tattoos is devastating.

https://hts3.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/loos-ornament-and-crime2.pdf

On 8/31/2020 at 10:57 PM, Bison44 said:

LOL.  Used to call that a Group Home Tat, no?  Seen some pretty solid work done with a Walkman back in the day.  Wonder what the kids are using now that everything is solid state?  

Spiderman fan,  THAT'S funny. 

On 9/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, Redpunkfiddle said:

Talk about marketing- this thread title is total click bate. 

This thread title has a very Red Patch Boys Forum circa 2007 feel to it.  Just missing the 8 facepalm emojis and exclamation marks

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan