Jump to content

Canadian MLS Players to CPL - Ideas


Recommended Posts

While we will agree that it would be best that Canadians on MLS rosters play regularly, there are several who languish on the bench or who have been loaned to USL clubs. Which MLS Canadians would look good in CPL and get much more playing time? Would such a move benefit them and the CPL, and could CPL afford them?

Ashtone Morgan, Jordan Hamilton, Brian Wright, Callum Montgomery, and Raheem Edwards come to mind as players who would immediately improve the CPL and who would play regularly. Are there others? Is this a good idea? Would it be better for them to stay and train, but not play,  in MLS? Your thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any of these five except perhaps Montgomery, who plays in a current position of need, are long shots for the MNT at this point, so those decisions would be based on what's best for their pro careers in all likelihood.  At that point it depends where each of them is in their arc, and whether they prioritize competitive goals over financial. 

For example, Ashtone is now late 20s, and probably still making six figures at RSL I think, even riding the bench.  He would almost certainly play a larger competitive role coming home, but there's no way he makes the same coin.  Raheem a little younger and getting more minutes, so probably he stays for both competitive and financial reasons.  Are any of them going to dominate the CanPL to the point where they receive an offer overseas?  Unlikely, I think.  

Edited by shorty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say it's working for Dunn,  Boskovic, TMG etc. And it worked for Telfer to get him a move away, albeit he is back.

Provided the standard is reasonable, which I think CPL is. Minutes is better than being a squad player that never plays for a MLS team.

Okello (hopefully Europe beckons) is another. 

Dayne St.Clair has a chance to break through right now but might prefer to stay in the states if not. Provided he gets minutes at USL that is fine by me too. 

If Whitecaps spend money and wisely the likes of Baldisimo, certainly Metcalfe and Colyn, maybe Hasal could need minutes.

I am sure it is a relationship that will continue to build and be mutually beneficial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

I would say it's working for Dunn,  Boskovic, TMG etc. And it worked for Telfer to get him a move away, albeit he is back.

Provided the standard is reasonable, which I think CPL is. Minutes is better than being a squad player that never plays for a MLS team.

Okello (hopefully Europe beckons) is another. 

Dayne St.Clair has a chance to break through right now but might prefer to stay in the states if not. Provided he gets minutes at USL that is fine by me too. 

If Whitecaps spend money and wisely the likes of Baldisimo, certainly Metcalfe and Colyn, maybe Hasal could need minutes.

I am sure it is a relationship that will continue to build and be mutually beneficial.

Seen st Clair play for Minnesota United last season he’s mls starter quality

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine it’s a real dilemma for the Julian Dunns and Noble Okellos out there. You’ve signed an MLS deal so you’re getting at least 57K or whatever the minimum is now, and you’re hoping to break through but often you’re happy to just make the 18.  You’ve watched the Ashtone Morgans and Jordan Hamiltons ahead of you go through the same revolving door of hope and disappointment, but now there’s five subs instead of three... You think you might have a better chance of regular playing time and getting noticed in the Canpl but short of the MLS team agreeing to loan you (and presumably still pay all or part of your salary) you would risk going down to making under 20K, and maybe having to live on that in the GTA or here in Victoria. 
 

If it wasn’t for COVID, and TFC agreeing to loan him out, I don’t think Dunn makes that jump. Now that he has though and is doing well, we might see more of it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't followed MLS over the last few years to call out more players to move from MLS to CPL but the posters above have hit it on the head.  Guys like Morgan, in their late 20's won't make the jump, it will be for players that want to get noticed and try to make the jump to the next level and are willing to tough out making less money to do it.  Telfer, at 25 last season is probably on the older end of players that will take that shot.  It worked for him and I don't think he would've been back if not for the situation. 

What you're more likely to see is what started to happen this season.  Some loans (Dunn, Boskovic) or academy players betting on themselves instead of continuing on the standard MLS club development path (Halley).

The more players transfer from CPL to overseas or get a national team call up the more it will happen.  It will take time though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Guys like Morgan, in their late 20's won't make the jump, it will be for players that want to get noticed and try to make the jump to the next level and are willing to tough out making less money to do it. 

I'm not sure if Morgan will get another contract at MLS level. He may need to sign with a CPL or USL team if he wants to continue his career. He may get better compensation than the average CPL player but still nothing close to his wages in MLS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2020 at 9:03 PM, shorty said:

I imagine it’s a real dilemma for the Julian Dunns and Noble Okellos out there. You’ve signed an MLS deal so you’re getting at least 57K or whatever the minimum is now, and you’re hoping to break through but often you’re happy to just make the 18.  You’ve watched the Ashtone Morgans and Jordan Hamiltons ahead of you go through the same revolving door of hope and disappointment, but now there’s five subs instead of three... You think you might have a better chance of regular playing time and getting noticed in the Canpl but short of the MLS team agreeing to loan you (and presumably still pay all or part of your salary) you would risk going down to making under 20K, and maybe having to live on that in the GTA or here in Victoria. 
 

If it wasn’t for COVID, and TFC agreeing to loan him out, I don’t think Dunn makes that jump. Now that he has though and is doing well, we might see more of it.  

Surely it is the best of both worlds? The players aren't taking pay cuts when they are on loan are they? The clubs will be covering the wages TFC gave them. 

In theory, the CPL clubs are getting players with wages they likely couldn't afford and MLS clubs are getting minutes and experience for their young players. Best case they are adding value and can be sold on. I don't see a downside other than the whole making CPL look like a feeder league which for the foreseeable future it is, in terms of playing standard. Interesting to know what the wage split looks like. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Surely it is the best of both worlds? 

Oh I agree completely in Dunn’s case.  I said “short of” the MLS team approving a loan, and I think that the current situation favoured Dunn’s loan, to everyone’s benefit. Without COVID, though, what would Jayden Nelson’s options be if TFC didn’t want to approve a loan? Ask to be released or wait out the contract and leave on a free? And then what would he make in the CPL?  There’s risk whichever way you slice it, which I suppose is no surprise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

How does the wage split work?  How much of that counts towards the salary cap?  Even if MLS club pays the wage, it shouldnt be a "free" player with regards to the cap.  or maybe thats why they only want a few per team. 

I assume only the CPL side of the wages counts to the cap. Can't see why it wouldn't. Sure it's a tussle between both clubs to get the best deal for everyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I assume only the CPL side of the wages counts to the cap. Can't see why it wouldn't. Sure it's a tussle between both clubs to get the best deal for everyone.

There is likely a minimum cap hit so you can’t have shenanigans, like Ottawa getting a bunch of La Liga quality players from the mothership and none of it counting towards the cap at all. So the minimum or the CPL portion, whichever is higher, would be my guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, Kent said:

There is likely a minimum cap hit so you can’t have shenanigans, like Ottawa getting a bunch of La Liga quality players from the mothership and none of it counting towards the cap at all. So the minimum or the CPL portion, whichever is higher, would be my guess.

I would think it would be more akin to the player on loan's entire salary counts towards the cap, regardless of if the CanPL or the parent is paying for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

 

I would think it would be more akin to the player on loan's entire salary counts towards the cap, regardless of if the CanPL or the parent is paying for it. 

Ryan’s Telfer was on a 70k salary last year and Julian Dunn is on 57k. Are those believable cap hits in CPL?

If the whole value counted that could prevent someone like Ashtone Morgan from coming in even if his team is willing to pay most of his salary.

It’s impossible to know at this point I guess. Hopefully the salary cap is short term so we don’t have to worry about this stuff, but somehow I doubt it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Kent said:

Ryan’s Telfer was on a 70k salary last year and Julian Dunn is on 57k. Are those believable cap hits in CPL?

If the whole value counted that could prevent someone like Ashtone Morgan from coming in even if his team is willing to pay most of his salary.

It’s impossible to know at this point I guess. Hopefully the salary cap is short term so we don’t have to worry about this stuff, but somehow I doubt it.

The cap really should be high enough to allow teams to sign these fringe MLS players. Those are exactly the players that the league should be targeting and providing opportunities to. Otherwise they still have to look internationally to find playing opportunities

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with posters who suggest that CPL cannot match MLS salaries in particular for younger players with high potential. On the other hand, I agree that playing day in and day out in CPL is better than sitting on the bench during every MLS game. In addition, I would like to see the CPL standard of play continue to improve, and there are some seldom used Canadians in MLS who could help to accomplish that important goal.

It will take some creative salary tactics to facilitate getting some of the Canadians from MLS into CPL. Perhaps there could be a sponsor salary fund provided for each CPL team (like MLS allocation) that could be used asa salary top up fund, to bring in Canadians from MLS. Perhaps MLS and CPL teams could, or do, split the player's salary to the benefit of both teams.

In the end, guys like Jordan Hamilton and Brian Wright would certainly make it harder for CPL defences, and Canadians like Zator, Dunn, and Didic, for example, would have to improve to keep pace. That is good for all. Perhaps CPL could target some guys like Pasher from USL as well.

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...