Match Thread: Island Games - August 29, 2020 - Valour v Edmonton

narduch

22 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Shambolic from Pena losing his man.

For sure.  Good movement by the Eddies down their left on the play, cracking cross in that Ongaro had to attack and he did so in style and with authority.

I'm sure JB would have been more aggressive dealing with the cross if he'd suspected Ongaro was getting a free to the ball.

3 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

For sure.  Good movement by the Eddies down their left on the play, cracking cross in that Ongaro had to attack and he did so in style and with authority.

I'm sure JB would have been more aggressive dealing with the cross if he'd suspected Ongaro was getting a free to the ball.

On replay it wasn't as bad from Pena and much better from Ongaro than I had originally thought. Pena made a far bigger error leading to the chance that Ameobi didn't finish. Sweet ball in from the Eddies player.

Feed Ongaro and he scores. Surprise. Cant believe they are debating Ongaro not wanting to be the focal point and wanting the ball. He has practically played in midfield at times dribbling from deep and getting stuck in. When there is zero service you cannot do what they are asking or him.

Pena had to get himself shortside on the play, didn't, and Ongaro got a free to ghost in on JB.

Ongaro not having a great tournie but would take him over anything we have up top.  

Seriously, Valour has to find the fee to get the man to Winnipeg next season.

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

Talking about Gale's belly aching.  Why? Plenty of room for criticism on side.  Let him moan.

Wheeler's right though, the best part of this team, the centre halfs, aren't going to be with Valour in 2021.

I was thinking this as well recently, ajb will be looking for a better contract. Valour might have to rebuild again 

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Talking about Gale's belly aching.  Why? Plenty of room for criticism on side.  Let him moan.

Wheeler's right though, the best part of this team, the centre halfs, aren't going to be with Valour in 2021.

This will be a fact of life in any league at the level of the CPL. Unless you overpay, standouts in this league will rightly look to greener pastures. From the perspective of a player, this is one of the great benefits of this league existing.

Bad for us (in the short term), good for them and exactly as the league was engineered.  A development league where players can step up into bigger and better things.  CPL gains that reputation and they'll punch above their weight recruiting raw talents.

Hope Valour can make a dollar or two off of moving them on, not sure about their contracts.

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Bad for us (in the short term), good for them and exactly as the league was engineered.  A development league where players can step up into bigger and better things.  CPL gains that reputation and they'll punch above their weight recruiting raw talents.

Hope Valour can make a dollar or two off of moving them on, not sure about their contracts.

Well, Dunn is on loan, so if he goes on to bigger and better things I doubt Valour will be profiting from it. I looked around for details of the length of AJB's contract but couldn't find anything. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns. After all, are teams elsewhere going to be paying close attention to seven games of work in a second tier Canadian league?