More WNT players to WSL?

BradMack

With the recent moves of our WNT players to the WSL like Flemming and Zadorsky, I took an interest in looking deeper into the womens club game. I admit I know next to nothing, but have been doing research. It seems like the WSL is on its way to becoming the top league in the world. We've seen the improvement of Janine Beckie since joining Man City, and hopefully Zadorsky and Flemming improve as well. But this raised an interesting point for me...

Should the next WNT coach push players to join the WSL as more teams invest more in the womens game? 

I think our best players need to be playing in club environments that will push them. While right now the NWSL may be the deepest competition week in week out, the best clubs are still in Europe. The landscape seems to be changing fast in England as more teams are pushing more money to contend in the WSL, and that should mean more jobs for players, and importantly more pressure. NWSL has a similar problem to MLS as they don't have relegation. NWSL also doesn't have the Champions League. It's going to be great to watch Flemming and Beckie battle for the champions league, and for a spot in the next edition of it week in week out, while others fight against relegation. 

The second benefit would be opening up CSA allocated spots in NWSL for players on the cusp of the National Team. This would greatly help our depth as it would more than likely improve the club situations of our young developing players. 

What do you guys think?

I am probably speaking from ignorance since I don’t know a lot about the women’s club game, but I would think that a reasonably strong European league would be (or will quickly become) the destination of choice.  

Basketball is a core American sport and they can’t get decent support for the WNBA south of the border.  To get attention on a women’s football league, they made them play in their underwear.  I just can’t see the NWSL ever getting that much traction there - and ultimately that is what will drive investment, player salaries, and the ability of a player to focus on footy full time (due to a living wage).   The pairing of the European women’s clubs with established powerhouse teams (and their fan bases) should ensure that they will always have more resources at their disposal.  

Sportsnet is going to be carrying 50 WSL matches for next 2 seasons + semis/finals of FA Cup.

First match tomorrow with Villa vs Man City (Beckie).

https://media.sportsnet.ca/2020/09/sportsnet-signs-two-year-broadcast-deal-with-barclays-fa-womens-super-league/

NBCSN & their Peacock streaming service also just signed a similar deal earlier in the week.

Edited by red card