Match Thread: Island Games - August 26, 2020 - Edmonton v HFX Wanderers

narduch

Good game by HFX.  Looked better than they have in the other games - but that is probably at least partly due to the opponent giving them more a bit time on the ball.  Ox didn’t get the clean sheet but can’t fault him on the goal.  

HFX is good shape for a playoff spot and things looking dire for Edmonton. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Goals in this game have been top drawer.

Velado-Tsegaye with an absolute beauty.

Eddie's over and out though. 3-1 FT.  Will Paulus survive post season?

If colin Miller was allowed to be medicore then can't see why Paulus won't survive. 

Prob time he bench amoebi. Surprising a guy who's played at the level he has turn into Frank jonke. Play the youngsters 

34 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

If colin Miller was allowed to be medicore then can't see why Paulus won't survive. 

Prob time he bench amoebi. Surprising a guy who's played at the level he has turn into Frank jonke. Play the youngsters 

I dont get why diouck wasnt retained over Ameobi. Simply has to be a dressing room behind the scenes thing because he offered far more.

HFX has been vastly improved this season.  I haven't seen all of their matches but I don't think they looked out of place in the Forge match and they move the ball really well tonight, struck fast on counters.  With York, Valour and Ottawa left on their schedule I'd be surprised if they didn't make it through the round.  Kudo's to Stephen Hart.

FCE is a loyal club, that are dedicated to their city and province.  Only club with an academy (I may be wrong but I believe they still operated it between NASL and CPL) and they aren't afraid to get the local boys a shot.  Paulus does have some work to do though, the passes through the defense were too easy.  HFX was moving the ball from half to the top of the 18 with a single pass.  No Didic really hurts and a missed PK really deflate the team.  Missed chance to get the ball to Caceres was a selfish choice that hurt too.  

Putting Joao Morelli at the #10 is ultimately what makes this team look so much better. It does come at a cost of steel in MF and the three of LBG, Sissoko and Rampersad were fun to watch but you get more quality int he final third with a 4 man front line than a 3.

Edited by VinceA

14 hours ago, toontownman said:

I dont get why diouck wasnt retained over Ameobi. Simply has to be a dressing room behind the scenes thing because he offered far more.

Rather see Fordyce. Diouck over Ameobi. Not even using the twin tower attack of ongaro + Ameobi. Amoebi might one of those guys who plays unreal in practice. Looks like he's just a locker room vet at this point. Should be on an CPL minimum. I m sure certain firms might work with him.

Diouck has 4 goals in 9 games in the Iceland third division.

31 minutes ago, grande said:

Iceland's system has 79 teams over five divisions??? That's insane for a country the size of a small city... Imagine London, Ontario having that many teams!

That would be really cool because as a fan who also likes to play you would likely be able to be on one of those teams in the lower divisions and actually be part of the pyramid.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Essentially your beer league team would in the pyramid lol.

My 'beer league' team* could technically rise to the level just below the A League if we reeled off 5 consecutive promotions. We also are 5 wins away from potentially drawing an A League team in the annual FFA Cup. The club system and infrastructure for Australian football is far more advanced than in Canada.

*while I'm technically part of the pool available for selection by our first team coach, in reality, I'm the fat, old guy playing in goal for our Masters team.