Opponent watch: Suriname (why they have the potential to be a tough team)

8 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Agree re Donk & Leerdam but I dont see Biseswar  beating out our forward and mid selections

Wootherspoon is in our pool and he plays wide midfield, like Bisewar apparently. Don't know how similar they are in terms of style, perhaps David is more defensive-minded.

Anyway, just an example a similar player in our pool when it comes to age, club/league strength, position, etc.

24 minutes ago, Oli said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me why Suriname plays in CONCACAF instead of CONMEBOL ? I mean, they are clearly a south american country...

They are closer culturally to the Caribbean and share similar history to many Caribbean countries so I guess that's why they're in CONCACAF

Edited by Nate3322

28 minutes ago, Oli said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me why Suriname plays in CONCACAF instead of CONMEBOL ? I mean, they are clearly a South American country...

The same reason why Australia now competes in the AFC (Asia) instead of Oceania.  For competitive reasons.  They can compete in CONCACAF and more so in the Caribbean Cups.  The same goes for Guyana & French Guiana.  These 3 teams would be absolutely demolished regularly in CONMEBOL.

Many of these nations also associate themselves more in Caribbean culture than South American as well.  Guyana very similar to islands such as Trinidad & Jamaica.  If you live in the GTA, you would understand the cultures are quite similar, particularly Trinidad & Guyana.  Suriname is very much culturally like Aruba & Curacao and all the Dutch Caribbean. French Guiana very much similar to Guadeloupe, Martinique and other French Caribbean islands.  

Edited by Corazon

14 minutes ago, Oli said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but can anyone explain to me why Suriname plays in CONCACAF instead of CONMEBOL ? I mean, they are clearly a south american country...

There may be a competitive reason for Suriname, French Guiana and Guyana not to be included in CONMEBOL as well. Having 10 nations works for their WCQ and 13 is a more awkward number. More importantly perhaps, those 3 countries would throw off the competitive balance, as they are rather weak even compared to the likes of Boliva. That said, Suriname in particular could probably compete if they keep adding Dutch players who are part of the diaspora.

12 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

These are currently the 27, 39, and 42 most valuable players with Suriname 2nd citizenship and Dutch first according to transfermarket. We should really be worried if they get the ones 11-15 and 18-25. *I'm not sure if they are all eligible.

Do you have a link to that list?

We need to take every opposition seriously when qualifying for the World Cup.  We haven’t done shit yet.  
Having said that, if we can’t beat Bermuda and even an improved Suriname, (and Haiti...) we have no right being in the Ocho, never mind playing in the World Cup.  

We have a worlds best 11 in our lineup, top players in Ligue 1 and Portugal, and guys who aren’t just marginal MLS players but guys who are integral to their teams.

Treat our opponents with respect but they should be the ones shitting their pants about our team and our players.

2 hours ago, Oli said:

Originally those were such backwoods countries there was no point for them to be in Conmebol. I suspect they may eventually move to Conmebol. I know Guyana and Brazil are working towards a highway system to link the countries. But who knows 

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder with these new addition, we’re going to see a domino effect. Guys who are 25+ year old 3-7 million ( transfermarket value) start to commit to them. Guys like  :

Gyrano Kerk

Ridgeciano Haps

Stefano Denswil

Sheraldo Becker

Canada should still win. But I do wonder: are they going to get any of the ones who don't need to do a one-time switch? OTOH, they don't have a Big 4 or France player committed right now, do they? 

Edited by One American

We should win

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Totally need to respect all our opponents and would take 4 1-0s cause that would get us through.  But if we are afraid of Suriname, then we might as well not even bother with playing Mexico.

I don’t think it’s so simple. Of course, we should win but this group will likely come down to one match at the end with Suriname and anything can happen in one match. All it takes is a bad 15 minutes, a mistake or two at the back, and being unlucky at the other end and we are out.  This is even heightened as we haven’t played for well over a year. Frankly, the group stage worries me much more than a two leg playoff against a Haiti as while I think they could beat us in one match as happened in the Gold Cup, I think the odds of that happening over two legs is very low in my opinion. 

And this is not about Mexico or Honduras, it’s about the fluke of one match where the side we are playing is half decent.  I actually think if we get to the Octagon, we will do well (not saying we will qualify) as over 14 matches I think our talent comes through.  We probably will still have a stinker or two in there but that can be compensated by the other 12 or 13 but it doesn’t work that way in a single elimination match which it likely will be with Suriname. If you have a stinker or are unlucky, you are out. 

4 hours ago, An Observer said:

We should win

I don’t think it’s so simple. Of course, we should win but this group will likely come down to one match at the end with Suriname and anything can happen in one match. All it takes is a bad 15 minutes, a mistake or two at the back, and being unlucky at the other end and we are out.  This is even heightened as we haven’t played for well over a year. Frankly, the group stage worries me much more than a two leg playoff against a Haiti as while I think they could beat us in one match as happened in the Gold Cup, I think the odds of that happening over two legs is very low in my opinion. 

And this is not about Mexico or Honduras, it’s about the fluke of one match where the side we are playing is half decent.  I actually think if we get to the Octagon, we will do well (not saying we will qualify) as over 14 matches I think our talent comes through.  We probably will still have a stinker or two in there but that can be compensated by the other 12 or 13 but it doesn’t work that way in a single elimination match which it likely will be with Suriname. If you have a stinker or are unlucky, you are out. 

Yeah I think this is basically the thing that everyone finds scary. Anybody can beat anybody in a single match. Suriname can just bunker and then catch us on a counter attack, and it’s not like our back line/keeper aren’t prone to the odd mistake. Hopefully we can build a goal difference advantage over the other matches so that all we need is a draw. That would take some of the pressure off at least.

Just to sprinkle a little optimism in here.

2 of the 3 Suriname recruits are defenders. Under Herdman Canada's "A" squad has never been shut out *knocks on wood*.

Our current squad has no issues scoring goals. If we score first in these matches chances are we are winning. Any team that throws numbers forward chasing a game against us is in trouble - maybe more so than any other team in CONCACAF.

Their wiki page has Jairo Riedewald listed in the “recent call ups” section also. Was he called up to a match that got cancelled before Covid or something? He’d be another solid addition. Their back line/CDM’s could be among the strongest in CONCACAF. Not sure if they have much fire power still though. 

Good pick ups for Suriname. But we must use the same logic we use with our own group of guys; they will have never played together. If we’re saying that we could get a disappointing result or 2 based off the fact that our top guys haven’t been together for over a year, that definitely puts them in the same boat. Some of these guys could very well be meeting eachother for the first time at their camp. 

Here is the 2019 gold cup squad for curaçao. I feel like Suriname and curaçao are very similar because of the Dutch influence. You can see here that Suriname seems to be a step below curaçao on paper. They are a decent squad and represented themselves well in the tournament and in nations league but are not world beaters. 

CuraçaoEdit

Head coach: Remko Bicentini

The final squad was announced on 7 June 2019. Kenji Gorré replaced Gervane Kastaneer[28]

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Goals Club
1 GK Eloy Room 6 February 1989 (aged 30) 26 0 Netherlands PSV Eindhoven
2 DF Cuco Martina(captain) 25 September 1989 (aged 29) 41 1 Netherlands Feyenoord
3 DF Shermar Martina 14 April 1996 (aged 23) 4 0 Netherlands MVV Maastricht
4 DF Darryl Lachman 11 November 1989 (aged 29) 24 1 Netherlands PEC Zwolle
5 DF Jurich Carolina 15 July 1998 (aged 20) 6 0 Netherlands NAC Breda
6 MF Michaël Maria 31 January 1995 (aged 24) 14 0 United States Charlotte Independence
7 FW Jarchinio Antonia 27 December 1990 (aged 28) 18 0 Cyprus AEL Limassol
8 MF Roly Bonevacia 8 October 1991 (aged 27) 0 0 Australia Western Sydney Wanderers
9 FW Charlison Benschop 21 August 1989 (aged 29) 3 0 Germany FC Ingolstadt 04
10 MF Leandro Bacuna 21 August 1991 (aged 27) 21 9 Wales Cardiff City
11 FW Gevaro Nepomuceno 10 November 1992 (aged 26) 36 8 England Oldham Athletic
12 MF Shanon Carmelia 20 March 1989 (aged 30) 37 2 NetherlandsIJsselmeervogels
13 DF Juriën Gaari 23 December 1993 (aged 25) 7 0 Netherlands RKC Waalwijk
14 FW Kenji Gorré 29 September 1994 (aged 24) 0 0 Portugal Estoril
15 MF Shermaine Martina 14 April 1996 (aged 23) 2 0 Netherlands MVV Maastricht
16 FW Gino van Kessel 9 March 1993 (aged 26) 19 8 Belgium Roeselare
17 MF Zinjo Constansia 6 April 1990 (aged 29) 4 0 Curaçao Jong Holland
18 FW Elson Hooi 1 October 1991 (aged 27) 19 6 Netherlands ADO Den Haag
19 FW Jafar Arias 16 June 1995 (aged 23) 0 0 Netherlands Emmen
20 MF Jimbertson Vapor 10 February 1996 (aged 23) 0 0 CuraçaoScherpenheuvel