Opponent watch: Suriname (why they have the potential to be a tough team)

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

I beg to differ. If the CAS overturned that for Munir, I believe they’ll overturn it for Tomori - as it stands he has a case. Reality is, he has to want the switch. 

For all we know he'll want to switch to Nigeria, if he wants to switch at all.

We are looking more attractive by the day though.

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I beg to differ. If the CAS overturned that for Munir, I believe they’ll overturn it for Tomori - as it stands he has a case. Reality is, he has to want the switch. 

It depends what the ruling was based on. If Munir was able to slide because he played for the U21 team after 21, rather than the senior squad, then Tomori would not have the same case. It was a good argument to make in Munir's case but the line must be drawn somewhere. 

I mean... I guess if we wanted a real challenge we've got one. I still don't get why we're so optimistic about this game when we flopped against an inferior team in Haiti, and continue to be terrified of Bermuda's band of National Leaguers. It's gonna be tough... 

Edited by PiedPilko

3 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I mean... I guess if we wanted a real challenge we've got one. I still don't get why we're so optimistic about this game when we flopped against an inferior team in Haiti, and continue to be terrified of Bermuda's band of National Leaguers. It's gonna be tough... 

I hear you. We look good on paper, but we need results... always respect opponents but never fear them.  Hope JH and the players have learnt from that Haiti game. Our squad is now stronger (yes on paper ) from that GC team with Eustaquio/Vitoria/Laryea  a rejuvanated Larin and Davies/David more seasoned plus better depth with Tajon/St Clair/ etc. Its time for us to deliver. If we want to qualify for 2022 we have to beat teams like Suriname. Besides we need to play teams that will push us if we are going to get to the hex and finish in the top 3/4. 

Ryan Donk is a huge pick up. He's vice captain at Galatasaray, according to wiki 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatasaray_S.K._(football)

Diego Bisewar has a pretty solid resume as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Biseswar

And we all know about Kevin Leerdam 

All 3 of those players would arguably start for us, so big pick ups for Suriname.

The silver lining is that if Bermuda and Suriname may help us out by taking points off each other. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ryan Donk is a huge pick up. He's vice captain at Galatasaray, according to wiki 

All 3 of those players would arguably start for us, so big pick ups for Suriname.

The silver lining is that if Bermuda and Suriname may help us out by taking points off each other. 

All 3 players make Suriname stronger no doubt, but do they start for us?? Does Ryan play CB or in midfield for Galatasaray? if midfield does he replace Atiba/Eustaquio/Arfield? Diego is on loan in Cyprus. Does he replace any of our starting forwards? Is Leerdam better than Laryea...more experienced for sure but I dont think we have seen the best of Laryea. So I'm not sure that all 3 (if any) would start for us..unless Ryan has been paying CB.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They all improve Suriname, but the Bisewar signing is meh. They’re all going to start on the back line, so it will make them harder to break down, but none of these guys are midfielders, or strikers. We should still be able to take the game to them, and overwhelm them. 

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

All 3 players make Suriname stronger no doubt, but do they start for us?? Does Ryan play CB or in midfield for Galatasaray? if midfield does he replace Atiba/Eustaquio/Arfield? Diego is on loan in Cyprus. Does he replace any of our starting forwards? Is Leerdam better than Laryea...more experienced for sure but I dont think we have seen the best of Laryea. So I'm not sure that all 3 (if any) would start for us..unless Ryan has been paying CB.

Donk is a CB. That's where he's been playing for Galatasaray. Any regularly starting CB on Galatasaray would start for us.

Less sure about Bisewar, but he's listed as a CAM or winger. I don't check the line ups in Cyprus like I do in Turkey, since we have no players there right now, so I can't say if those positions are accurate. I have never seen him play either. I am just looking at his wiki page and it seems like he was regularly contributing for PAOK every season until this one, which is probably why he is away on loan right now. 

PAOK finished 2nd last season and last won Greece in 2018-19

Edited by Obinna

14 minutes ago, TOCanada115 said:

They all improve Suriname, but the Bisewar signing is meh. They’re all going to start on the back line, so it will make them harder to break down, but none of these guys are midfielders, or strikers. We should still be able to take the game to them, and overwhelm them. 

Transfer market has Bisewar as a winger/attacking mid but he is probably the weakest of the 3. He is 32 and on loan in Cyprus. The strongest part of our squad is at forward so while it makes Suriname more sound defensively, Larin/Cav/David/Davies/Hoilett have all gone up against stronger defenders in club football.  

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Transfer market has Bisewar as a winger/attacking mid but he is probably the weakest of the 3. He is 32 and on loan in Cyprus. The strongest part of our squad is at forward so while it makes Suriname more sound defensively, Larin/Cav/David/Davies/Hoilett have all gone up against stronger defenders in club football.  

This is reason to be optimistic, but the game against them is a one-off. Anything can happen to tip the scales in favor of the underdog. 

If we slip up at least we have the possibility of a team like Bermuda taking points off them. It's going to be interesting.

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Donk is a CB. That's where he's been playing for Galatasaray. Any regularly starting CB on Galatasaray would start for us.

Less sure about Bisewar, but he's listed as a CAM or winger. I don't check the line ups in Cyprus like I do in Turkey, since we have no players there right now, so I can't say if those positions are accurate. I have never seen him play either. I am just looking at his wiki page and it seems like he was regularly contributing for PAOK every season until this one, which is probably why he is away on loan right now. 

PAOK finished 2nd last season and last won Greece in 2018-19

fyi  Bisewar only played 5 games for PAOK before his loan to Cyprus for the rest of the season. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

This is reason to be optimistic, but the game against them is a one-off. Anything can happen to tip the scales in favor of the underdog. 

If we slip up at least we have the possibility of a team like Bermuda taking points off them. It's going to be interesting.

for sure and that is why we must field our strongest team for WCQ. ... no room for slip ups from a selection perspective

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

fyi  Bisewar only played 5 games for PAOK before his loan to Cyprus for the rest of the season. 

That's right.

As I said, he's been a big part of every PAOK season until this one.

I wonder how much of it is down to him declining versus PAOK strengthening. Either way, he's clearly an improvement on what they have, and would probably be in our wider pool if he were Canadian, if not our best 18. In his case I would stress the arguably part when I suggested he could start for us. Same for Leerdam, who many Sounders fans feel is the best RB in MLS. I know Toronto fans feel the same way about Laryea. One could argue it either way.

The one that isn't arguable is that Donk would start for us. That I am sure of.

These 3 players would for sure be in the conversation for Canada. This is Canada we are talking about here; haven't qualified for a World Cup in 35 years and lost to Haiti in their last competitive match.

Whenever I get the sense Canadian fans are getting cocky because "on paper" Canada should be good I always cringe.

Honestly I'm reasonably confident that we'll be able to beat Suriname. We have a strong team right now even stronger than theirs even with Donk, Leerdam and Bisewar joining them. Unless Herdman makes a stupid mistake I think we should be fine but only time will tell. Also Donk would definitely start for us but I don't think Leerdam or Bisewar would.

20 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

These 3 players would for sure be in the conversation for Canada. This is Canada we are talking about here; haven't qualified for a World Cup in 35 years and lost to Haiti in their last competitive match.

Whenever I get the sense Canadian fans are getting cocky because "on paper" Canada should be good I always cringe.

Its time for us to deliver on the field and get results..thats all.  We have the players and have gone through the GC plus Nations league. Hopefully John & the players have learnt from Haiti and the away game to the USA.  We have also added an assistant coach with Concacaf experience. Yes, anything can happen in a one off game but really there are no more excuses for us not to progress to the Ocho.

Edited by Kadenge

5 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Donk is a pretty big pickup and would start for us, likely as our top CB.  The other 2 would probably make our top 23 roster or be in the conversation.

For Suriname this is a massive improvement and closes the talent gap substantially.

Agree re Donk & Leerdam but I dont see Biseswar  beating out our forward and mid selections