Match Thread: Island Games - August 19, 2020 - Atletico Ottawa v Valour

narduch

3 minutes ago, Ingham said:

Not watching but this gives me a reason to be terrified of Valour.

Man advantage helped but a much better Valour performance than we have been used to from last season.Dunn and Jean Baptiste are a good pairing. Cebrera a different prospect made a big difference too.

Another added pressure to York for the weekend where a bit of pressure will be off valour. Still these are situations York have to manage if they want to be able to beat cavalry or forge.

Should be another great neutral watch.

I liked this role for Galan. It's maybe a bit of a luxury they can't afford to have a foreign vet be a guy they bring on for the last half hour, but he can really settle the team in situations like today's game where they need to see out a lead. He didn't have the physical attributes last year to be a 90 minute player. He'd get frustrated by the lower-division-England-style physical play of teams like Cavalry, and would fatigue and make rash challenges when late to 50-50 balls. Everything that he brings to the team works better when he has fresher legs than his opponents in midfield. Unfortunately with a short tournament, I don't expect there to many ideal situations like today to prove his worth. Thrilled to see him score as he has really embraced the community (he's a full time resident) and is well loved by the supporters.

Edited by jonovision

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I was briefly at UPEI this afternoon while the game was on.  Security staff were quick to tell me to move along as I peeked through the fence barriers.  Unless the policy changes there won’t be any live viewing despite having it in my backyard.  Too bad...

Gutter. So close, yet so far. Happy they are being stringent as they should. Especially with shady characters lurking around. 

On 8/19/2020 at 1:47 PM, Bbeto said:

Ricci`s playing well. He is working

We didn't see much of him at Y9 last year. I only remember him at the league opener in Tim Horton's field last year and I thought he had some grit and guile about him the last 15 or so minutes he played. I'm glad he found a new home. 

On 8/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, jonovision said:

I liked this role for Galan. It's maybe a bit of a luxury they can't afford to have a foreign vet be a guy they bring on for the last half hour, but he can really settle the team in situations like today's game where they need to see out a lead. He didn't have the physical attributes last year to be a 90 minute player. He'd get frustrated by the lower-division-England-style physical play of teams like Cavalry, and would fatigue and make rash challenges when late to 50-50 balls. Everything that he brings to the team works better when he has fresher legs than his opponents in midfield. Unfortunately with a short tournament, I don't expect there to many ideal situations like today to prove his worth. Thrilled to see him score as he has really embraced the community (he's a full time resident) and is well loved by the supporters.

I wonder if Valour is thinking about bringing him into the coaching and/or ambassador side. He's 34 so he's closing out his career but he has become a full-time resident here, has a little girl and is laying down roots. He has loads of experience from all over the globe and has a really good friendly personality. Eventually, Rocke is going to move into a Head Coach role somewhere and his shoes will need to be filled. 

45 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

I wonder if Valour is thinking about bringing him into the coaching and/or ambassador side. He's 34 so he's closing out his career but he has become a full-time resident here, has a little girl and is laying down roots. He has loads of experience from all over the globe and has a really good friendly personality. Eventually, Rocke is going to move into a Head Coach role somewhere and his shoes will need to be filled. 

Speaking of Valour vets moving into the coaching ranks, former cement-footed striker Michele Paolucci is in Winnipeg again this year, and keeps dropping hints on his Instagram about big announcements to come about his future endeavors. One has to assume that is coaching- or at least soccer-related. People more involved in the local soccer or Italian communities may have more inside info.

48 minutes ago, T_Bison said:

Agree with this. I did see him helping out with coaching a local youth team before leaving for PEI.

Edited by johnyb

19 hours ago, Cheeta said:

If we can add those two men to our soccer infrastructure at any level, but most especially amongst the youth ranks, that is a big win.

Completely - having either of them involved in the MMSL or FCMB would be a huge win for the province.

I wonder if the UofM will start considering a men's soccer program once the world starts moving forward again

On 8/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, Macksam said:

We didn't see much of him at Y9 last year. I only remember him at the league opener in Tim Horton's field last year and I thought he had some grit and guile about him the last 15 or so minutes he played. I'm glad he found a new home. 

I thought he was awful when he was given a chance, but I could see he had something. Just didn't work for him here.