New Division 3 "Eastern League" - PLSQ & L1O to merge

Ansem

The source is from the post I shared above

Provincial Leagues or Regional Leagues?

• Provincial leagues had seemed to be the destination for CPL reserve teams but the NEW goal is to have 3 minor leagues in Canada (East, West & Central) just like the CHL and like the CSA wanted in their previous strategic plan
  • PLSQ's structure will be completely revamped to integrate this model
  • Plans are already underway to lead towards a merge PLSQ-L10 league for as soon as 2021 (COVID slowed down the talks)
  • The format and league structure to be determined. There should be a "co-commissioner" for Quebec to reflect the French contribution
  • Soccer Quebec President would not be involved in the league but would like to make sure that teams have Quebec players and teams are mostly under 23. Discussions have already taken place and it seems everyone agrees with these conditions.
  • Moving towards the model of a developmental league is vital to attract young promising players pointing out that Montreal Impact never loaned anyone to PLSQ due to the league being too low in quality and structure
  • The goal would be to add Atlantic Canada teams to this "Eastern League" but Quebec-Ontario is the priority
  • Clubs will have to fit this structure financially and have the proper infrastructure using the word "professional" (This might mean that not all L10 or PLSQ teams might make this league at launch)
  • Confirmation that BC are working towards a league
Edited by Ansem

It does make you worry a bit about

A - will the Atlantic provinces be left out?

B - if the thinking is that these leagues need to have paired up provinces to work and Quebec can’t do it on its own, what chances do Saskatchewan + Manitoba have?

59 minutes ago, Kent said:

It does make you worry a bit about

A - will the Atlantic provinces be left out?

B - if the thinking is that these leagues need to have paired up provinces to work and Quebec can’t do it on its own, what chances do Saskatchewan + Manitoba have?

The article said that they want to include Atlantic Canada in the league after the Ontario-Quebec merger is done

They talk about a West and Central league.

Is BC alone the west league as they are prepping for BCL1?

I would think that Saskatchewan and Manitoba needs to work together for a central league or does it need Alberta to make it viable as a Central Prairies league?

Edited by Ansem

IMHO, I believe that the CanPL wanna do a D2 and D3 ASAP. With the current situation, I dont know which formula would be the best. 

With this merge, it doesnt mean that they will play against each other, I believe they wanna have the same standards of competition.

To lower the transport fees, they should work on small regional divisions for D3. 

Now, we need to find a way to make it financially sustainable for the clubs to operate in D2 or D3. Also, they should be broadcasted on Onesoccer (at least a game each week).

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 8:09 PM, Ansem said:

The article said that they want to include Atlantic Canada in the league after the Ontario-Quebec merger is done

They talk about a West and Central league.

Is BC alone the west league as they are prepping for BCL1?

I would think that Saskatchewan and Manitoba needs to work together for a central league or does it need Alberta to make it viable as a Central Prairies league?

I think you'd have to go BC, and then AB+SK+MN (east of the Rockies). It's a huge area, but Edmonton-Winnipeg is shorter than Vic-Edmonton

Edited by xcalibre

On 8/17/2020 at 2:20 AM, Impactsupporter said:

Why merge L1O and PLSQ?    Wouldn't it be better to designate L1O as "Central" and PLSQ including future Atlantic Canada teams as "East"??

Like with Quebec Major Junior Hockey that has a strong Maritime presence now, a really nice model IMO.

Hypothetically.

Just because PLSQ and L10 are both up and running and strong, that is our de facto 2nd tier. I accept that they go with what we have, if the other provincial associations can't get anything on par going I see no reason to wait. So strengthen it all they can. I'd even accept that player eyeing a CPL future might want to move to either province to play at that tier. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 1 year later...

A bit of an update on this 

President of Soccer Quebec confirmed that the merged Ontario/Quebec league is still on the table.

The talks that were slowed down by COVID has resumed between both leagues.

The plan is to have a final four with the best 2 clubs of both leagues as soon as 2022.

Soccer Quebec president wants to resume the project asap so we don't end up with a final 4 for years.