Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Racists get away with a lot while everyone else stays out of it.  If the BLM movement gets anywhere, it will be because the majority no longer stays silent.  We who aren't black need to get used to not pretending everything is A-OK as it is.  Even if we don't convince any racists to stop hating, we should at least convince them to shut their yaps.  That requires keeping the subject in the public eye.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just filled out my volunteer form.  I may be doing some running around for a team in isolation while here.  Figured I should probably contribute.  

During the games I volunteered and was assigned to help Valour while they quarantined.  There were a few evening grocery runs, a breakfast delivery and an emergency Red Bull intervention.   Nothing to

Stopped by UPEI today to scout out a spot to try and watch some games live.  Not sure if it will be possible but I will give it a try.     Valour was getting a bit of practice time in while I w

Posted Images

Just now, Ams1984 said:

Who knows, It’s possible I suppose. Will a BLM decal on a TV screen actually change a racist person’s heart? I doubt it. You know what might? Sharing something with a diverse group of people, and maybe in that way learning that there is less that divides the races than they may have thought. Sharing something like soccer. 

Like I said, there are very recent instances of soccer players having bananas thrown at them or having monkey chants hooted at them.  Soccer isn’t the solution - but it can be a vehicle.  It is why FIFA had a “kick out racism” campaign (I think).  
 

Anyway, I won’t debate it anymore.  I am a straight white guy and I am not offended by BLM slogans, pride parades or other initiatives that seek to end various forms of oppression - or at least raise awareness about them (and yes, I think CPL’s initiative helps do that).  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Like I said, there are very recent instances of soccer players having bananas thrown at them or having monkey chants hooted at them.  Soccer isn’t the solution - but it can be a vehicle.  It is why FIFA had a “kick out racism” campaign (I think).  
 

Anyway, I won’t debate it anymore.  I am a straight white guy and I am not offended by BLM slogans, pride parades or other initiatives that seek to end various forms of oppression - or at least raise awareness about them (and yes, I think CPL’s initiative helps do that).  

Cheers, have a good one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Will a BLM decal on a TV screen actually change a racist person’s heart?

As has been stated throughout this movement, one of the goals of the BLM groups, especially in Canada, is to empower those of us who aren’t racist, who recognize racism but who may not act against it in our everyday lives to stand up against it. In Canada there are large portions of our population who face bias from individuals who aren’t overtly racists and systems that aren’t overtly racist and it will take everyone to end those biases.

In terms of the BLM movement sport I prefer to look at as hopefully something inspiring for young people to take up in the same way they may pursue a certain sport because they fall in love with a particular athlete or team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Really? Just the sight of those three words together causes such a reaction in you that you can’t enjoy a soccer match? That seems extreme to me.

So, “Make America Great Again” pinned (poorly) to the centre of the soccer field wouldn’t have caused a reaction for you, eh? Cool. 
 

BLM is politics. American politics at that. It’s no different than slapping MAGA on the centre field. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gator said:

I love a good debate, I really like to hear opposite points of view from my own and respectfully discuss these, unfortunately this forum doesn't seem like the place for that so I will keep my thoughts to myself on this one!

Fair enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

So, “Make America Great Again” pinned (poorly) to the centre of the soccer field wouldn’t have caused a reaction for you, eh? Cool. 
 

BLM is politics. American politics at that. It’s no different than slapping MAGA on the centre field. 

The fact that you are equating an openly racist president’s political slogan with a non-partisan rallying cry for equality is starting to suggest to me that you are not as impartial in this discussion as you claim.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dyslexic nam said:

The fact that you are equating an openly racist president’s political slogan with a non-partisan rallying cry for equality is starting to suggest to me that you are not as impartial in this discussion as you claim.  

I’m illustrating a point.

1) Trump isn’t president of Canada, so who cares?

2) BLM is foreign, just like Trump. 
 

3) BLM is not apolitical. Go to their website. See for yourself. They are an extreme political organization. Highlight and underline extreme. Just like, I presume, you would classify MAGA as extreme. 
 

4) You have no idea what my politics are. You can make assumptions about me all day long if you’d like, but all I’m doing is being honest. BLM is MAGA. They’re both controversial foreign political movements that have fuck all to do with soccer. 
 

5) I’d also complain if the CPL pinned MAGA to the centre field. I’m not complaining because BLM is a foreign hard left organization, which any objective and informed person would realize, I’m complaining because I DON’T WANT POLITICS IN SOCCER. Not sure how much clearer I can be about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy.  But I'll play.

I'm a cynic.  I've always viewed the next revolution as a T-shirt away, however.

You're wrong.  You're 100 percent wrong.

From a Celtic fan who came up from afar in the '70s.  

Cheeta

7 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

So, “Make America Great Again” pinned (poorly) to the centre of the soccer field wouldn’t have caused a reaction for you, eh? Cool. 
 

BLM is politics. American politics at that. It’s no different than slapping MAGA on the centre field. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

As has been stated throughout this movement, one of the goals of the BLM groups, especially in Canada, is to empower those of us who aren’t racist, who recognize racism but who may not act against it in our everyday lives to stand up against it. In Canada there are large portions of our population who face bias from individuals who aren’t overtly racists and systems that aren’t overtly racist and it will take everyone to end those biases.

In terms of the BLM movement sport I prefer to look at as hopefully something inspiring for young people to take up in the same way they may pursue a certain sport because they fall in love with a particular athlete or team.

Exactly.

One of the things the BLM movement does is it forces an unsettling of individual and societal beliefs.  The fact that it appears in a CPL game sends a message that there are certain values and principles that are being prioritized for being part of the CPL community (as owners, players, fans, media, etc).  If that makes some people uncomfortable, it is being effective.  Hopefully that will also lead to some reflection on why they are uncomfortable about it and perhaps they might readjust their values.

The discomfort of seeing a banner on a tv screen when watching a soccer game pales in comparison to the discomfort that results from overt and subtle racism that exists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Exactly.

One of the things the BLM movement does is it forces an unsettling of individual and societal beliefs.  The fact that it appears in a CPL game sends a message that there are certain values and principles that are being prioritized for being part of the CPL community (as owners, players, fans, media, etc).  If that makes some people uncomfortable, it is being effective.  Hopefully that will also lead to some reflection on why they are uncomfortable about it and perhaps they might readjust their values.

The discomfort of seeing a banner on a tv screen when watching a soccer game pales in comparison to the discomfort that results from overt and subtle racism that exists.

Everything you just said is based on your politics. I don’t want to play that game. Lots of non-political people won’t either. The only thing that the CPL will achieve, well two things, are:

1) Making people who think like you happy because your views are being affirmed;

2) Alienating a lot of other people who don’t see the world through an “intersectional” lens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

Everything you just said is based on your politics. I don’t want to play that game. Lots of non-political people won’t either. The only thing that the CPL will achieve, well two things, are:

1) Making people who think like you happy because your views are being affirmed;

2) Alienating a lot of other people who don’t see the world through an “intersectional” lens. 

Except it is not just my politics.  It is the politics of an increasing portion of society.  You have a choice to either buy into it, to treat it as 'meh', or be offended by it.  That's your politics.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Except it is not just my politics.  It is the politics of an increasing portion of society.  You have a choice to either buy into it, to treat it as 'meh', or be offended by it.  That's your politics.  

Oh, I see, so your ‘growing portion of society’ (whatever that means... was there a vote I missed?) gets to espouse it’s hyper partisan opinions everywhere, and if someone says ‘hey, can we stop being children and thrusting our politics at each other everywhere’ that’s somehow ‘my politics’. Makes sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this much, the advertising scrolling was very annoying to me for everything displayed, I know some of the adds would make some people I know dizzy and not want to watch, I try to accept it because I know there is money tied to it in our new fledgling league trying to stay afloat in a pandemic! You guys should have taken heed of my senior member's post earlier, politics on this football board never turns out well, and that's not saying this isn't a good discussion to have, just not here IMHO!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RS said:

So you’re... out of society?

For someone who is sick of politics you sure are making a huge effort to argue politics with everyone else here.

I’m really not though. The crux of my message is simple:

Politics doesn’t belong in soccer. BLM is politics. That’s not really a political sentiment if you think about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

I’m really not though. The crux of my message is simple:

Politics doesn’t belong in soccer. BLM is politics. That’s not really a political sentiment if you think about it. 

You’re equating BLM the organization with BLM the ideology. One is political, the other is not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RS said:

You’re equating BLM the organization with BLM the ideology. One is political, the other is not.

I go back to one of my earlier statements, wherein I suggested that the use of a more neutral slogan or mantra such as “no to racism” or “equality” would’ve been perfectly apolitical and fine by me. You can’t really separate BLM the truism from BLM the political organization. Conceptually, sure, but the slogan and logo they used is pretty clearly the same as the one used by the political movement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RS said:

You’re equating BLM the organization with BLM the ideology. One is political, the other is not.

Have a look at the guy's posting history. He's thrown tantrums in the past about 'politics' getting involved in football. However, it's only a certain flavour of politics that triggers him, since he's never affected when the politics that he clearly agrees with, but is too much of a pussy to own up to straight up, is espoused on the board. Terrible hypocrite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Oh, I see, so your ‘growing portion of society’ (whatever that means... was there a vote I missed?) gets to espouse it’s hyper partisan opinions everywhere, and if someone says ‘hey, can we stop being children and thrusting our politics at each other everywhere’ that’s somehow ‘my politics’. Makes sense. 

1) No, we don't vote on social norms.  They are constantly changing, sometimes slowly, sometimes more quickly.

2) I don't think it is hyper partisan.  The fact that it is appearing in a CPL game is encouraging that it is becoming normalized.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...