Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SpursFlu

2020 CPL Island Games

Recommended Posts

Going into the next round, Forge FC  and HFX have the most favourable schedules. The other teams will have to play two games with a day's break, Forge and HFX get at least 2.

I'd say Cavalry has the worst schedule here.

Times in European Continental, where the major tv audiences are ;)

Sep 9 - Wednesday
7:00 pm CEST
HFX Wanderers
 
vs.
 
Forge UPEI Artificial Turf Field  
Sep 10 - Thursday
2:00 am CEST
Cavalry
 
vs.
 
Pacific UPEI Artificial Turf Field  
Sep 12 - Saturday
6:00 pm CEST
Forge
 
vs.
 
Pacific UPEI Artificial Turf Field  
Sep 12 - Saturday
9:00 pm CEST
Cavalry
 
vs.
 
HFX Wanderers UPEI Artificial Turf Field  
Sep 15 - Tuesday
7:00 pm CEST
Cavalry
 
vs.
 
Forge UPEI Artificial Turf Field  
Sep 16 - Wednesday
2:00 am CEST
HFX Wanderers
 
vs.
 
Pacific

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jonovision said:

In local time, all games are on the 9th, 12th, and 15th, so the difference in rest is a matter of hours, not days.

Oh geez you got me there.

Going to leave my post up, I can live with it. 

In any case, from a European perspective, Pacific FC is getting screwed by the CPL again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This result is a bit of a disaster for York 9 and the media contract, since there is no team continuing to attract eyeballs in the GTA. Unfortunately Brennan probably isn't going anywhere since he's also a part owner. Hopefully they'll be able to convince their fan-base that they made concrete improvement in the off-season or they will be hemorrhaging money next season with sparsely attended games.

Other than Paulus, I don't see the rest of the organizations sacking their coach since it was fairly even, with positions 2 through 7 separated only by 4 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Ottawa fine first year..in edmonton paulus willing to go out so will be change for sure..and enough is enough for valour and york..#galeout #brennanout

Edmonton, unarguable. 

At Ottawa: I expected a bit more, considering the organisation backing them. They did put together a team a bit artificially, with a diverse set of pieces, and that seemed to show. In the end, though, I think it's good they did not qualify, it obliges them for next season.

Valour was significantly better this season, on a lot of levels. And then the injuries. If Gale could have been #out last year, now it seems to be more logical to have him stay on and build on this.

York9 was also solid, just did not get the one win instead of draw they needed. A solid team. I don't think Brennan will be under fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Initial B said:

This result is a bit of a disaster for York 9 and the media contract, since there is no team continuing to attract eyeballs in the GTA. Unfortunately Brennan probably isn't going anywhere since he's also a part owner. Hopefully they'll be able to convince their fan-base that they made concrete improvement in the off-season or they will be hemorrhaging money next season with sparsely attended games.

Other than Paulus, I don't see the rest of the organizations sacking their coach since it was fairly even, with positions 2 through 7 separated only by 4 points.

Brennan part owner? Your telling me Brennan has his own money invested in this club , hard to believe knowing Brennan. Green Park Homes the only money behind this club and really that’s a very good thing for the club and league. Hopefully the owner comes to his senses and finds a proper coach, someone who has actually coached before . No reason why a Toronto area team with all the soccer talent situated in the biggest market in Canada missing out on the playoffs again . Get an actual coach with some  real coaching experience and who has had success even at an amateur level or collegiate or university level . Brennan can stay as a PR guy but keep him as far away from the field as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Initial B said:

This result is a bit of a disaster for York 9 and the media contract, since there is no team continuing to attract eyeballs in the GTA.

Disaster for York 9, sure. But for the media contract? I am a York 9 fan, but is there any evidence that their games attract more eyeballs than others? I haven’t been tabulating those CBC ratings numbers so I honestly don’t know, but weren’t York 9 the least attended team in the inaugural year? Doesn’t seem to have that big a fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering none of the teams had any sort of pre-season and an out of necessity crazy schedule I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the tourney, especially as its gotten on.  Looking forward to Round 2 even if will be short Valour. 

How happy are the players on the teams going home to be getting out of their Island bubble?  Sooner or later some stories HAVE to come out of this social experiment.  Not expecting anything bad, but I'm sure there will be a few tales that'll be worth the listen. 

Of the four teams I still think Pacific is the funnest to watch.  Think Hart has it working at Wanderers.  Forge and Cavalry might be in for a tough go over the next week or so.  

    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the schedule for the group stage: I am very pleased Forge is in this stage but having early kick offs in midweek matches kind of sucks for many wanting to view these matches, I suppose the noon and 1PM Eastern starts are worse for the Cavalry and Pacific viewers, it just would have been nice to have one of the 2 midweek matches in the evening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit to mostly just watching games with Pacific involved but while I feel we’ve had to earn most our goals through good play, many of the goals we’ve conceded have been gifts through individual errors. I’ve seen some highlights of nice goals in other matches, but I’m curious how many have come through mistakes and how many are through good play. 50-50ish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kent said:

Disaster for York 9, sure. But for the media contract? I am a York 9 fan, but is there any evidence that their games attract more eyeballs than others? I haven’t been tabulating those CBC ratings numbers so I honestly don’t know, but weren’t York 9 the least attended team in the inaugural year? Doesn’t seem to have that big a fan base.

I was thinking more in terms of advertising revenue from data analytics. OneSoccer won't be able to ask for as high fees if they aren't getting eyeballs from the 5million+ people in the GTA. One of the reasons why the league needs teams in big 3 markets so they can raise their fees based on market penetration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Initial B said:

I was thinking more in terms of advertising revenue from data analytics. OneSoccer won't be able to ask for as high fees if they aren't getting eyeballs from the 5million+ people in the GTA. One of the reasons why the league needs teams in big 3 markets so they can raise their fees based on market penetration.

But if a Y9 game attracts say 20000 viewers and that is on par with an Ottawa or HFX game, does it really matter that those 20000 people live in the GTA?   It’s not like they are leveraging the 5M+ people there.  
 

EDIT:  number of viewers is completely pulled out of the air - just an example. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the games I volunteered and was assigned to help Valour while they quarantined.  There were a few evening grocery runs, a breakfast delivery and an emergency Red Bull intervention.   Nothing too demanding but as a thank you gesture, I was just given a team-autographed 2020 jersey.  Very, very cool.  Classy organization that just acquired a fan.   Cheers.  

B18C856E-B94C-4CF9-93BB-14E3A2900AAC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

During the games I volunteered and was assigned to help Valour while they quarantined.  There were a few evening grocery runs, a breakfast delivery and an emergency Red Bull intervention.   Nothing too demanding but as a thank you gesture, I was just given a team-autographed 2020 jersey.  Very, very cool.  Classy organization that just acquired a fan.   Cheers.  

B18C856E-B94C-4CF9-93BB-14E3A2900AAC.jpeg

That is a serious, serious piece of memorabilia! Please frame it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Last year I got a team signed HFX shirt as well. They are definitely man-cave art.  

If you get one different CanPL team's signed shirt per year, you might get a full set by the middle of the next decade. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

So....Forge ended up meeting quota, not breaking any rules....so.....does anyone else want to chirp in at how Forge is terrible, bad for player development and the scourge/bush maker of the league.

They can still screw themselves (I wear my Forge t-shirt all the time, because it has the nicest touch cotton, so don't count that against me: they can still screw themselves).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They can still screw themselves (I wear my Forge t-shirt all the time, because it has the nicest touch cotton, so don't count that against me: they can still screw themselves).

Why the bitterness? As I posted before, this is a club that has been in the forefront of developing young Canadian talent, some unlucky injuries posed a challenge to their U21 minutes in this tournament held in a bubble and yourself and others were very quick to pile on BEFORE they even broke any rules! I guess the petty jealousies can be expected when you are defending Champion, how quickly some forget about their achievement in the CCL last season with a complete Canadian roster, how many teams can boast that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on Gator, I realize Forge isnt Toronto, but do we really need a reason to hate a team from Ontario??  My default setting is hating Calgary, hating Ontario and it takes something special to change that (ie TFC).  😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gator said:

Why the bitterness? As I posted before, this is a club that has been in the forefront of developing young Canadian talent, some unlucky injuries posed a challenge to their U21 minutes in this tournament held in a bubble and yourself and others were very quick to pile on BEFORE they even broke any rules! I guess the petty jealousies can be expected when you are defending Champion, how quickly some forget about their achievement in the CCL last season with a complete Canadian roster, how many teams can boast that?

If I were bitter I would not be telling everyone how much I like the feel of my Forge orange hammer on dark grey t-shirt, don't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...