Let's talk Penalty Kicks

Obinna

Well folks, we finally seem to have ironed out the kinks (err..kinda) for world cup qualifying!

That means the important games are just on the horizon...

As we all know, sometimes a game must be decided via shootout. 

Hopefully we can get through the first round group stage comfortably, setting us up for a clash against (probably) Haiti.

Should the unlikely occur and penalties are needed......who ya got?

My 5 shooters:

1. David - Pretty obvious. Our best forward. The iceman. Has taken a few penalties with Gent in his young career. I don't think he's missed. He's cool under pressure. Let him go first. If the moment proves to big for him and he misses, at least it's early in the shootout.

2. Vitoria - Has scored a ton of penalties in his career. Has taken them for most clubs he's played for, despite being a center back (he played striker in his youth). Older player with a cool head to hopefully bail us out in the unlikely event David misses the first one.

3. Cavallini - I think you need someone capable of the audacious. Someone with a little guts. Cav is the guy. I love his confidence, and perhaps he's overconfident at times. We have seen him miss in the Gold Cup, but he also scored on a panenka in Nations League. I think putting him 3rd makes sense. You want to save him for when the pressure is greater, he can take it. 

4. Arfield - To be honest, I can't recall him taking in penalties, but I am sure he's done so somewhere along the lines of his long, long career. I don't think the moment would be too big for him. I like him at number 4

5. Hutchinson - I struggled with this one, because we don't even know if he'll be around, but also because if it comes down to him, it would be the last kick of his international career if he misses. That is a lot to put on anyone. At the same time, there is nobody else who inspires confidence for me, and Hutch has done and seen it all. Hoilett could be an alternative, but I am not sure if I completely trust him.

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

2. Vitoria - Has scored a ton of penalties in his career. Has taken them for most clubs he's played for, despite being a center back (he played striker in his youth). Older player with a cool head to hopefully bail us out in the unlikely event David misses the first one.

I looked at Vitoria's penalty stats and they're incredible.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/steven-vitoria/elfmetertore/spieler/54716

He's taken 12 pens in his pro career and scored every one. He also scored penalties against both Rui Patricio and Jan Oblak just over a week apart in 2013!

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

1. David - Pretty obvious. Our best forward. The iceman. Has taken a few penalties with Gent in his young career. I don't think he's missed. He's cool under pressure. Let him go first. If the moment proves to big for him and he misses, at least it's early in the shootout.

David actually missed one on the 2019 Belgian cup semifinals. He was the 5th shooter and his goal would have put them through. Fortunately, the 6th shooter scored and they advanced.

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

3. Cavallini - I think you need someone capable of the audacious. Someone with a little guts. Cav is the guy. I love his confidence, and perhaps he's overconfident at times. We have seen him miss in the Gold Cup, but he also scored on a panenka in Nations League. I think putting him 3rd makes sense. You want to save him for when the pressure is greater, he can take it. 

Cavallini would only make my five because of the dearth of other options.  You don't need anything cute and he has a habit of being cute. 

I don't understand the fascination with the panenka.  Anyone on my team tries that, I would bench them for the next handful of games.

21 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Cavallini would only make my five because of the dearth of other options.  You don't need anything cute and he has a habit of being cute. 

I don't understand the fascination with the panenka.  Anyone on my team tries that, I would bench them for the next handful of games.

I wish I could like this twice.  Pick a corner.  Hit it there.  Hard. 

Bunch of grandpas “back in my days all we did was smash it”🤣....Seriously if the paneka comes off it’s the most sweetest, demoralizing thing to see. It exemplifies confidence, and skill to pull it off. Now if you miss it, then you’re an idiot and off duty.

Too much of Canadian sports culture doesn’t want athletes to have personalities. "It’s not the right way". I’m all for guys expressing themselves.

1. David 2. Hutchinson 3. Vitoria 4. Hoilett 5. Arfield.

Edited by Shway
typo

Hoilett & Cavallini have both missed a few pks of late.  Hard to make a concrete list given our lineup changes.

Both Vitoria and Hutchinson are no brainers if they're on the field.  Big ifs for both at this time.  

Lets also make sure its not someone from Toronto FC.  The curse is real.

Edited by Corazon

David, Vitoria, Cavallini are our best options. (Hutchinson would be as well but I strongly believe he is finished). It's a foregone conclusion that they'd take one if they're on the pitch. 

Hoilett, Arfield, Davies would be expected to step up as well. 

After that, it's whoever wants to take one. Kaye, Eustaquio, Laryea and Larin would be prime candidates. 

I don't want Cavallini touching a PK again for Canada.  He scored a paneka against Dominica first off... not really impressive against a Sunday league keeper. Then he bullied his way into taking a PK against Cuba and wasn't even close. I could be wrong but I think he's also missed a few at club level.

If it were today my 5 would be: David, Hutchinson, Davies, Vitoria, Arfield

I have only seen (or remember seeing) Hoilett miss penalties. 

He did so this year and a dramatic one (right after or right before his teammates did so with another penalty) against Wolves, the season the latter went up,  and then one way back in the Premier League with Blackburn.  

I am sure he has made one (some?) along way and this is very small sample size but there you go.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford