Gianfranco Facchineri

Sometimes a player just doesn’t develop.

when I coached hockey, one year in AAA we had a goalie who was one of the top in the province and we were sure he would play Major junior… kid flamed out and never made midget AAA, plays beer leagues now. head coach didn’t help him but kid stopped growing.

13 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Campagna is younger, shows more promise, passes Facchineri on the depth chart, and is also a Lower Mainland-raised guy, to boot.  Movin' on.

I    

In their final intra-squad game in pre-season, the Caps started a young right-sided CB named Simone Masi ahead of Faccineri, who they only brought in for a few minutes at the end. Masi is big, played well against the Caps starting squad. Seems to have a more promising future than Facchineri and seems to be the one that has passed Facchineri on the depth chart.

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

Wouldnt get roster and budget relief if loaned

[quote]

Loan of a Player by MLS to Affiliate Club (MLS NEXT Pro / USL)

• All loans from MLS clubs to its affiliates must be free (i.e., no loan fees paid by MLS NEXT Pro / USL affiliate clubs).
  • If an MLS player is loaned to an affiliate, such a player may not be paid more than the player's Salary Budget Charge without that compensation being captured on the MLS club's Salary Budget (including, but not limited to, performance bonus compensation).
  • An MLS club can receive roster relief and budget relief for a maximum of one player loaned to its MLS NEXT Pro or USL affiliate or a lower-division club in the U.S. or Canada; provided, however, that:
  • The player is under the age of 25 (i.e., he does not turn 25 prior to the end of the calendar year);
  • The player's Salary Budget Charge is less than or equal to the MLS Senior Minimum Salary (including any loan fees, transfer fees, agent fees, housing, car, etc.); and
  • The loan must be a season-long free loan;
  • The player has not appeared on a gameday roster for the MLS Club as of the beginning of the applicable loanee club’s season; and
  • The loan of the player to the loanee club must last for the remaining duration of the entire loanee club’s season; provided, however, that such a player may be recalled to his MLS club in the case of Extreme Hardship.[/quote]

roster relief isn’t a good excuse for a guy on the league minimum of 68k.

Edited by Shway

• 6 months later...

Lmao how far we’ve come to say a kids career is over at 20 eh? Wow we’ve clearly been spoiled much of lately.

The way I see it, it’s a minor setback.
The way I see it, it’s just as bad as a young kid signing for a Serie D team.

His football career isn’t over, probably just needed to hit the reset button. Which is fine. Maybe you guys are just trying to say that him being a CMNT prospect is over. 

Edited by Shway

With the advent of the CPL Canadian University soccer isn't really a dead end anymore.

I will try not to hate on the Whitecaps, but this again shows that our MLS clubs still struggle a bit on how to take their prospects to the next level. Players in the 18-22 age seem to be in a sort of purgatory.

Edited by narduch

• 6 months later...

Sort of feels that maybe he's just not that interested in being a pro footballer?

I do think it takes a lot of mental fortitude to be a part of the Whitecaps system where they are trash a integrating their youth and coming out the other side still wanting to play.

• 9 months later...

Who knows what was going on.  Definitely fell off the track that had him moving up in the world, but it looks like he has since grabbed a spot in L1O and now back to CPL.  Hopefully he has his head on straight, maybe learned a few life-lessons along the way (if the attitude thing had any truth to it), and can get back on the right path.  Dude is still young, in a position known for late bloomers.  Very optimistic interpretation but he could be a year or two away from being back on track.  Best of luck kid.