The next Canadian superstar

bwilly11

In 6 years, I think there are only 2 names guaranteed to be in our XI, barring major injury. Those are Davies and David. Beyond that, there are several who will probably be in the larger squad (Crepeau, Cornelius, ZBG, Fraser, Eustaquio, Brym, Nelson, Bair, Okello). That leaves a lot of room for several players that most of us haven't yet heard of to make their ways. 

Let's be clear, though. We have 2 generational talents for Canadian football just emerging now. It's way too early, and more than just a little bit greedy, considering where we've come from, to start grasping for the next one. I'm going with Kam Habibullah to be a fantastic player for us, though. I think he'll compliment the Daves beautifully.

6 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

This is so tough because the Canadian national youth teams play so rarely. 

But anyway, let me take a wild crack at it: how about Alphonso's little brother? :)

Is Alphonso's brother even playing soccer right now? If he is, then that's great but whoever said Habibullah, that is another interesting choice 

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

When David was with the U17s, he stood out. I always thought he just looked and operated on a different level than anyone else in qualifying.  The same with Tabla in the cycle before him.  I personally didn’t see anyone like that in the last cycle.  Nelson was good but kinda Aleman good in that he has the potential to develop into something special or stall as a ball hog but I don’t think he will be a superstar. Habiboula looked similar but I give him some slack as he was young. The Vancouver Cb (forgot his name) looked the best in my opinion. 

On the next u17 cycle, possibly Rutty or the Montreal kid Alessi (I think) have the possibility to develop into a Davies or David but I would defer judgment until I see them at the u17 level (and even then it’s guess work). 

I agree with you for the most part An Observer, but I would just like to add a bit of context. David did look dominant, but that team did not progress through the Concacaf play downs.  Nelson was equally dominant in the Concacaf play downs where he had to share the stage with Habibullah and Russell-Rowe.  Other than Okello, David was pretty much on his own (Davies didn't play).  In the U17WC, Nelson did look more Aleman-like, but against much better competition.

The USA has been better at producing players than us for a long time, and they have just gotten Pulisic who I would say is probably the only player they have ever had in roughly the same territory as Davies. That is to say, I doubt that we suddenly found a magic switch and will be getting a new superstar every 2 to 5 years. I hate to say it but our next superstar might not have been born yet.

I only caught parts of the U17 games, but from that bunch my picks for most potential would probably be Nelson or Russell-Rowe, but both of them seemed at least a bit less impressive than Tabla at that age.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

The USA has been better at producing players than us for a long time, and they have just gotten Pulisic who I would say is probably the only player they have ever had in roughly the same territory as Davies. That is to say, I doubt that we suddenly found a magic switch and will be getting a new superstar every 2 to 5 years. I hate to say it but our next superstar might not have been born yet.

I only caught parts of the U17 games, but from that bunch my picks for most potential would probably be Nelson or Russell-Rowe, but both of them seemed at least a bit less impressive than Tabla at that age.

Reyna might be joining Pulisic soon enough.  Has gotten some great reviews at Dortmund at 17

18 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

It's suprising that we haven't had a really great player come out of Toronto. Lots of good players, but noone great. 

Our all-time cap leader (JDG, also has anyone else played in La Liga, or at least had as many appearances as him?) is from Toronto, and so is our all-time goal scoring leader (DeRo). 2nd place for caps is a tie between a guy from Toronto (Stalteri) and a guy from a suburb of Toronto (Brampton).

26 minutes ago, Kent said:

Our all-time cap leader (JDG, also has anyone else played in La Liga, or at least had as many appearances as him?) is from Toronto, and so is our all-time goal scoring leader (DeRo). 2nd place for caps is a tie between a guy from Toronto (Stalteri) and a guy from a suburb of Toronto (Brampton).

Sorry, I meant current players. Our top 5 players from Toronto are probably Kaye, Morgan, Johnson, Fraser, Laryea. So yes, quite a few players, but I would think Toronto would be where a superstar would come from.

7 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Sorry, I meant current players. Our top 5 players from Toronto are probably Kaye, Morgan, Johnson, Fraser, Laryea. So yes, quite a few players, but I would think Toronto would be where a superstar would come from.

Isnt Cavallini and Osorio from Toronto originally?  I thought we went through and could barely find any players from BC.  Alberta, Quebec are repped prretty well etc but where are the BC players?  Toronto and Ontario are very well represented, and is Brampton not considered to be in the GTA??  If you include Brampton you add Hoilett, Hutchinson and Larin to TO's contribution. 

45 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Isnt Cavallini and Osorio from Toronto originally?  I thought we went through and could barely find any players from BC.  Alberta, Quebec are repped prretty well etc but where are the BC players?  Toronto and Ontario are very well represented, and is Brampton not considered to be in the GTA??  If you include Brampton you add Hoilett, Hutchinson and Larin to TO's contribution. 

According to this Cavallini is from Mississauga and Osorio is from Brampton.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/together-we-rise-canada-soccer-announces-squad-for-the-2019-concacaf-gold-cup-p162198

My original point was not about the quantity of players coming from Toronto/GTA. It is specifically about a high level player coming from the City of Toronto proper. A city of nearly 3 million people, many from different nationalities/ new Canadians, (like David and Davies). That is where I would expect the next superstar player to come from and it suprising, to me at least, that currently our best player from Toronto I would say is Kaye.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:07 PM, An Observer said:

the Montreal kid Alessi (I think)

I believe you're referring too Jean-Aniel Assi. I agree he's one to look at as well. But he's gonna need to break the selfish habits that Nelson also holds. That kind of play style works on youth levels but not on a professional level. So these guys are going to have to learn to change their style of play when that opportunity comes up. Which always concerns me that it may throw them off guard and stall their progress.

Like the a lot of people here are saying, it's hard to determine who's going to be the next superstar but maybe a little easier to predict the next concacaf standout however. I would for sure throw Rutty into that mix. Very disciplined and smart for his age.

I'm personally also keeping a close eye on Josh Gordon (RB), Jason Gajadhar  (DM/CM) and Kosi Thompson (W) from TFC.

Although maybe not as hyped, but I am also curious as to what happens to Sean Rea from Montreal. I actually don't think he gets talked about enough. I know he was on trail with several European teams lately.

I would still maybe even bring up Eustaquio as a potential "concacaf" star.

There's still a few players that I hear good things about, but haven't had the chance to see them play.

48 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I believe you're referring too Jean-Aniel Assi. I agree he's one to look at as well. But he's gonna need to break the selfish habits that Nelson also holds. That kind of play style works on youth levels but not on a professional level. So these guys are going to have to learn to change their style of play when that opportunity comes up. Which always concerns me that it may throw them off guard and stall their progress.

I remember reading Nelson's favourite player is Ronaldinho. I love Ronaldinho highlights but he's one of the rare players with that insane amount of skill who actually has the end product to go along with it. He's probably not the best player to emulate if it leads to doing some crazy trick but then just losing the ball after.

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Whoever the next superstar is, it wouldn't surprise me if they came out of Edmonton like Davies did or if they come out of other Canadian cities like Calgary, Ottawa or Vancouver 

Look, I don't want to pile on you because I do genuinely think you mean well, but please think about what you are posting. You don't need to post every single thought that comes into your mind. A number of times I have typed out a post and refrained from posting it because after review it was unhelpful, distracting, or rude.

Frankly put, I have no idea what the purpose of your above post is. You list four major cities that a "superstar" may come out of, providing zero analysis as to why you may think it is one of those cities. It is a post for the sake of a post. I urge you to use some discretion when posting because it is frustrating to see 15 new posts in this forum, only to realize that most of them are useless, stream of consciousness comments that often derail the thread.

1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

its good that we have both David and Davies to build around  but I want to see the Liam Millers, Doniell Henry's and Cyle Larins of this world up, there game

I expect them all to up their game. Davies and David still have plenty of room to grow. Neither one is a finished product 

Edited by Aird25