The next Canadian superstar

bwilly11

We have our first real superstar in Davies. David looks like he's on the verge of joining the superstar ranks. Ballou was once our major hope but flopped. Millar could make the big jump very soon.

These guys have been the core of our golden generation (on paper). Who do you all predict is the next Canadian to enter the biggest stages of world football? Is there more talent in our youth system that has this much potential? Who are they? Anyone want to predict what we will look like in a couple of years?

Obviously nobody can predict the future, but it could be fun to try, many of you have great insight.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious choice at the moment. I think Millar has the most potential to "break out" next, but I can't see anyone reaching David/Davies level, if we are talking superstars. 

So yeah, my money is on Millar. A solid loan to the Championship would be his coming out party, I am hoping.

It is really too bad Tabla isn't further ahead. I am very disappointed, but he has all the talent in the world to get back to Europe and forge a very good career. If he can have a good few years in MLS and go back across the pond, it's not too late for him to perhaps have a "Junior Hoilett" level career for club and country.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Threads like this don't do anyone any favours.

I don't think a thread is going to change the course of anyone's careers lol. A bunch of anonymous people chatting about potential is pretty normal here.

14 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

I think it could Byrm, he looked really good during winter camp, if does end up going to Mouscron and get game time there he could end up being great. Raposo could end up being pretty good as well.

Another player might be Scott Kennedy especially if Klagenfurt get promoted he could really shine in the O-Bundesliga.

First you have to define "superstar" Canadian superstar is different than global superstar. For instance Brasley and Altidore are probably American superstars but nowhere near global superstars. There are maybe 20 global superstars in the world at anytime

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

First you have to define "superstar" Canadian superstar is different than global superstar. For instance Brasley and Altidore are probably American superstars but nowhere near global superstars. There are maybe 20 global superstars in the world at anytime

Maybe we should use the term "concacaf" superstar?

Davies and David would be in that category. Altidore and Bradley would have been in past cycles...

Davies and David are still super young and they're just breaking onto the scene. Half the guys mentioned here are as old or older than those two. I haven't heard of any youngsters with the same level of hype, but David went relatively unnoticed for a while too. Only a few people in Ottawa seemed to be touting him as the next big thing at first. 

2 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

"Superstar" is a pretty lofty title. I'd say after Davies and David, no one has "superstar" hype just yet. And there might not be any others for years.

Yeah, if we’re going by actual superstar potential, it’s hard to say.  We know David will get there very soon but it’s hard to even call him a superstar at the moment until he makes the move to a bigger club.

Even if Millar breaks into the Liverpool squad and gets a decent amount of playing time, it will still be hard to put him in that territory until he’s a starter. Say he moves on to a solid mid-high table club and is a starter there, that’s very good for us but that’s not “superstar” territory. Guys mentioned like Brym and Fraser I also have high hopes for and it would be great if they end up in a top 4 league, but that’s also not really fitting the definition. 

Maybe Rutty but he’s still too young to tell. Other than hopefully Millar I don’t think we’ll have one in the next couple of years but I hope I’m wrong. 

Maybe not necessarily the next superstar, but I can see Eustaquio playing at a big club in the near future. He was rumoured to have been going to a big club before his (strange?) move to Cruz Azul. His rehab is complete and his addition to a pretty poor Pacos de Ferreira team has got them in contention for a mid table finish. The big name Portuguese clubs will be interested and maybe other teams in Europe.

When in a developing soccer nation like Canada you have the luck of what will probably become Canada's 2 greatest players born in the same year and breaking out so young it seems almost crazy to ask for another superstar.  It would be spectacular but unlikely.  Davies' crazy athleticism and work ethic plus David's natural scoring instincts and work ethic make us forget despite CanPL we still don't have great systems in place for developing elite players.  Improving in that sense but still a long way to go.

Superstar or no superstar though we are in good shape. 

If Eustaquio as mentioned above can move to a bigger club and provide a tidier, more creative version of Piette as DM. 

If Kaye can move to Europe and continue to hone his box to box play. 

If Jayden Nelson can develop into a version of DeGuzman with more offensive talent. 

If Bair or Ongaro or Perruzza can develop into a slightly more consistent version of Cavallini. 

If Okello can turn into a bigger stronger version of Hutch. 

If Facchineri or Yao or Dunn can develop into a physical, comfortable on the ball defender, what we once thought Henry could be,  even in the Championship or Bundesliga II or Serie B. 

If Habibullah can mimic Hoillett with a little more ability to take his man one on one. 

If Millar finds his way as a starting winger anywhere in the top 5 leagues. 

If Fraser moves, again, even to a top 2nd tier league, perfecting his combination of physical play with ball-spraying distribution. 

If Rutty or Nelson or Mitrovic or Raposo or Borges can provide us with a tricky attacking midfielder to play complement David in certain situations in the midfield. 

If Brault-Guillard can turn into an MLS all-star and ultimately move back to Ligue 1 as another talented wingback.

So many ifs, but when you have 2 stars of the quality Davies and David can become, a team of solid highly talented but not superstar players around them in the right roles could still be a hell of a team.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

When Davies was 16 and already turning heads barely anyone had heard of David.  As someone posted earlier Ottawafan was talking about him before the u-17 thinking he would be big.  But at the time we were all still thinking Tabla was the "real deal" and both Montreal and Van would have big stars.  So who knows eh?  There could be a super athletic 14-15 year old kid in Halifax or Sudbury who is just now deciding to quit the other sports and focus on soccer.  Before these guys it was Boaki or Peters or Gyaki, lots of them get sidetracked.  But it wouldnt surprise me if Nelsen or Habiboula go on to be pretty special.   

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

When Davies was 16 and already turning heads barely anyone had heard of David.  As someone posted earlier Ottawafan was talking about him before the u-17 thinking he would be big.  But at the time we were all still thinking Tabla was the "real deal" and both Montreal and Van would have big stars.  So who knows eh?  There could be a super athletic 14-15 year old kid in Halifax or Sudbury who is just now deciding to quit the other sports and focus on soccer.  Before these guys it was Boaki or Peters or Gyaki, lots of them get sidetracked.  But it wouldnt surprise me if Nelsen or Habiboula go on to be pretty special.   

When David was with the U17s, he stood out. I always thought he just looked and operated on a different level than anyone else in qualifying.  The same with Tabla in the cycle before him.  I personally didn’t see anyone like that in the last cycle.  Nelson was good but kinda Aleman good in that he has the potential to develop into something special or stall as a ball hog but I don’t think he will be a superstar. Habiboula looked similar but I give him some slack as he was young. The Vancouver Cb (forgot his name) looked the best in my opinion. 

On the next u17 cycle, possibly Rutty or the Montreal kid Alessi (I think) have the possibility to develop into a Davies or David but I would defer judgment until I see them at the u17 level (and even then it’s guess work). 

Edited by An Observer
Grammar