Theo Corbeanu

jordan

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I know nothing about Nicholson but what you've told me here. I was just commenting on the inconsistency between your levels of optimism for the two players. I don't think anybody is saying that Theo is as big a talent as Reyna, just that he's done very well for an 18-year old over the past 12-18 months and that he's put himself in a strong position to potentially get Premier League minutes over the congested holiday period. We're all living in hope, right now, rather than hard expectation.

If anything my optimism about Corbeanu has been too high, and that's sorta my point. Nobody else has thrown out the Reyna comparison, I know that, but I did because I believe if he can break into the Wolves team and do well, he'd prove to be just as big of a prospect/talent, wouldn't he?

Wolves have become a top side recently, maybe not quite as good as Dortmund, but perhaps Valencia level, which is why I also compared him with Musah, who along with Reyna is the same age as Corbeanu and starting.

But alas, I will downgrade my sky-high expectations if he doesn't make the Wolves first team soon, but that's not to say I wouldn't rate him. I would put him in the Liam Millar category, which is to say I expect another solid player able to grow into a starter for the 2026 cycle, versus turning into a superstar like Davies or David, which is where he would project if he grasps minutes at Wolves at the age of 18.

Club supporters always want their youth given a chance, especially if the team is not riding high (Wolves have won 1 of their last 5 in the league, from a cursory look).  And they are comparatively light up front. 

This is his first year with the u23s and he has been singled out for contributing.  Watching the half hour of the last game (especially) that was available on youtube, you can hear his manager calling his name a fair bit.  He has a lot to learn but that is good in a way as he has got where he is on flair, pace, size and strength and the other things are more easily coached. 

I enjoy watching him because it is stress free, often lunchtime, viewing. I don't really care who wins and at 18 very little is going to make or break him at this point.    Most kids at that level will end up in League 1 or 2, from anecdotal experience, but some don't and that is part of the fun in following a career. 

But having a debate about an 18 year old already at, let's say, an English League 2 level, it not a bad debate to be having for Canadian national team supporters. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

If anything my optimism about Corbeanu has been too high, and that's sorta my point. Nobody else has thrown out the Reyna comparison, I know that, but I did because I believe if he can break into the Wolves team and do well, he'd prove to be just as big of a prospect/talent, wouldn't he?

Wolves have become a top side recently, maybe not quite as good as Dortmund, but perhaps Valencia level, which is why I also compared him with Musah, who along with Reyna is the same age as Corbeanu and starting.

But alas, I will downgrade my sky-high expectations if he doesn't make the Wolves first team soon, but that's not to say I wouldn't rate him. I would put him in the Liam Millar category, which is to say I expect another solid player able to grow into a starter for the 2026 cycle, versus turning into a superstar like Davies or David, which is where he would project if he grasps minutes at Wolves at the age of 18.

I think you’re right, your optimism was probably too high. It’s unrealistic at this point to expect him to become a superstar or to be a regular in the Wolves squad. He has potential but is raw and just needs more time. Hopefully he can eventually break into a PL side, but even if he were to become a Championship regular in the next couple of years, that’s still a very good player to have in the CMNT. 

Obviously this was expected but Corbeanu is not on the bench today for Wolves. I think if Wolves fail to score versus Chelsea Corbeanu might get a nod off the bench on Monday against Burnley. They’re really struggling to create anything upfront without Jimenez. 

Edited by Atlantic

22 hours ago, One American said:

Owen Otasowie has already been capped by the USMNT. Only 10 minutes or so. He's a Wolves youth team player, too. 

I would be at least a little cautious about things being said by Wolves, based on Owen's experience. 

Had an assist today.

He is 1 year older than Corbeanu, sure, but to come on at half and pick up an assist against Chelsea on your EPL debut, that is something. And while we anxiously wait for Theo break through with the first team, this guy is actually doing it, and between Musah, Reyna, and Cardoso, he is perhaps the least talked about.

Edited by Obinna

They scored 2 with the American midfielder making is debut, I’d imagine this sets his debut back.

it sucks but to be fair this is a guy who a year ago they didn’t see in their first team for 3-5 years if at all, to someone who they’re now saying we’ll ok he might have it.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

They scored 2 with the American midfielder making is debut, I’d imagine this sets his debut back.

it sucks but to be fair this is a guy who a year ago they didn’t see in their first team for 3-5 years if at all, to someone who they’re now saying we’ll ok he might have it.

I actually take it as a positive.

If anything this is proof of concept for Wolves, that it is in fact okay to "play your kids". I imagine this gives them even less reservation, not more. Plus it's not like they play the same position, so I don't think it effects Corbeanu negatively at all.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I actually take it as a positive.

If anything this is proof of concept for Wolves, that it is in fact okay to "play your kids". I imagine this gives them even less reservation, not more. Plus it's not like they play the same position, so I don't think it effects Corbeanu negatively at all.

Fair point, I do believe that he cracks the 18 sooner than later. He was at u-18 last year and now he’s burning the U-23, he’s going to move up, question is to what ?

Premier League clubs have voted in favour of expanding the number of players that can be named to the bench from seven to nine, starting tomorrow. There's still no guarantee that Corbeanu will make the matchday squad, but this certainly improves his chances. Wolves' next match is against Burnley on Monday.

2 hours ago, bfque8 said:

potential callup for Theo to the first team squad - not in the 16-man U23 squad at Norwich this morning.

Funny, based on the previous post I checked too. 

I wonder in that video if he's the one wearing # 23 who greats the coaches, followed by other u-23 players, just as they arrive on the pitch. With slightly curly hair and a bit dyed on the bangs, right at m. 1

35 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Funny, based on the previous post I checked too. 

I wonder in that video if he's the one wearing # 23 who greats the coaches, followed by other u-23 players, just as they arrive on the pitch. With slightly curly hair and a bit dyed on the bangs, right at m. 1

You are correct.

Assuming he makes the bench I think it would be a long shot that he would get subbed on today (although I’d love to be wrong). Only scenario I could see that happening was if Wolves were up 2-3 goals and it’s late in the game. Nonetheless Corbeanu has been progressing very well and I’m excited to see him feature on the bench. Who knows, maybe as the season goes on he gains more trust from the coaching staff and becomes a regular on the bench. 

Edited by Atlantic

At least another name from the U23s there as well.  

Let's hope Burnley keep playing as badly as they have, Wolves build a lead and keep Traore on bench and fresh for their 3 games next week.  Normally at least, Corbeanu and him play similar roles. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

54 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

At least another name from the U23s there as well.  

Let's hope Burnley keep playing as badly as they have, Wolves build a lead and keep Traore on bench and fresh for their 3 games next week.  Normally at least, Corbeanu and him play similar roles. 

I’m not super informed with how Wolves play but just reading their main forum it seems the formation they have today (apparently) doesn’t suit Fabio Silva that well and that Silva may struggle against Burnley’s physical centre backs. Wishful thinking but maybe Corbeanu might be their first attacking choice off the bench!  

5 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I’m not super informed with how Wolves play but just reading their main forum it seems the formation they have today (apparently) doesn’t suit Fabio Silva that well and that Silva may struggle against Burnley’s physical centre backs. Wishful thinking but maybe Corbeanu might be their first attacking choice off the bench!  

If it's physicality they're looking for they'll probably bring on Adama but like another poster said hopefully they have a goal cushion and they favour giving a youngster some minutes