Theo Corbeanu

jordan

Google glitches aside - it looks like Wolves u23's second half will be on youtube again.  

*Stream cut out again so I took it out*

Currently trailing 2-1.  He was involved in the build-up for their goal. 

Update: one way traffic for Wolves in the second half, Corbeanu scores a third goal after a very nice team move. 2-3. 

Update 2:  Scores again around 65';  pounces on a mistake and nice individual run with the ball.  2-4. 

He was subbed in the 83'. 

A look at his goals 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Getting a little disappointed he hasn't made his first team debut yet, considering all the goals and plaudits for his U-23 contributions. I know he is just 18, but so are Giovanni Reyna (Dortmund) and Yunus Musah (Valencia) and they have already featured for their respective first teams. Perhaps he is not quite that level of talent, or perhaps he is right on the cusp, but I am growing a little impatient here. 

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Getting a little disappointed he hasn't made his first team debut yet, considering all the goals and plaudits for his U-23 contributions. I know he is just 18, but so are Giovanni Reyna (Dortmund) and Yunus Musah (Valencia) and they have already featured for their respective first teams. Perhaps he is not quite that level of talent, or perhaps he is right on the cusp, but I am growing a little impatient here. 

Wolves have Traore, pondence, Neto, Raul and Silva who is only 18 and cost them 35 million ahead of him. 

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Google glitches aside - it looks like Wolves u23's second half will be on youtube again.  

*Stream cut out again so I took it out*

Currently trailing 2-1.  He was involved in the build-up for their goal. 

Update: one way traffic for Wolves in the second half, Corbeanu scores a third goal after a very nice team move. 2-3. 

Update 2:  Scores again around 65';  pounces on a mistake and nice individual run with the ball.  2-4. 

He was subbed in the 83'. 

A look at his goals 

Whoever wrote that twitter post has a strange idea of the word "forces" as there was no way that error was "forced" in any way. Nice finish from Theo but the opposition outfield players looked terrible on that whole play, from the giveaway to slow-as-molasses defending

20 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Wolves have Traore, pondence, Neto, Raul and Silva who is only 18 and cost them 35 million ahead of him. 

Exactly. And I understand if he cannot win minutes ahead of those guys, there's no shame in that, but if he can't I am tempering my expectations accordingly. 

I think Jimenez was out injured, by the way. 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Exactly. And I understand if he cannot win minutes ahead of those guys, there's no shame in that, but if he can't I am tempering my expectations accordingly. 

I think Jimenez was out injured, by the way. 

He’s closer than we think, those guys will get more chances and sooner because they cost more, but Corbeanu is forcing Wolves hand here. Once he breaks into the 18 he’s likely not leaving the 18, he is going to play for Wolves it’s a matter of time.

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

From who? Besides on this board. Is he actually drawing that much interest from Wolves supporters and management?

There are two guys from Wolverhampton who play at my club. I chat to them every week. They're lifelong Wolves supporters. They both know his name, although he's never been in a first-team 18, and expect him to play sooner rather than later. They honestly didn't know that he was Canadian until I told them, though.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is one of the weirder takes you're likely to come up with. He's 18 years old and playing at a top-ten team in probably the strongest league in the world, currently. How many 18-year olds are playing first-team minutes at top-ten teams in one of the Big 4 leagues? Maybe 4-5? So, on the basis that he's not debuted, yet, you're ready to write him off? It seems that Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David have skewed your mind set in a strange way.

I'm keeping track of Wolves forums since I have nothing better to do... and most people think he deserves a shot in the squad. There are definitely a few who think he's no where near that quality, but the Wolves just don't have a lot of options at this point. Jiminez could be out for ages, and they haven't scored since the injury. They're currently putting 2 CB's on the bench instead, and you have to wonder how long that will last. 

That being said, I don't think it'll be tomorrow, having played today.

If he's done well with the reserves I think he deserves a shot. You never know with these things; it might be obvious he needs pro experience at a lower level via a loan, or he could just step in and excel. Every player is different, but if he has done everything they've asked of him with the reserves/U23s, giving him (and other like him) a shot is also a nice little incentive. 

Who knows, maybe he'll step up like Davies/David did!

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

I noticed on another thread that you're Stanning for some Jamaican striker who has just made it to a mid-table Belgian club at the age of 23, but this is your take on Corbeanu? Like I said...weird.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I noticed on another thread that you're Stanning for some Jamaican striker who has just made it to a mid-table Belgian club at the age of 23, but this is your take on Corbeanu? Like I said...weird.

Corbeanu is playing and scoring for Wolves U-23 and doing very well, as 18 year old. Shamar Nicholson is playing first team ball for Charleroi, who are better than mid-table, and scoring for them. 

But with all due respect to Nicholson, Corbeanu should project to be a much better player, like a Reyna or Musah. However, if he cannot get into the Wolves first team picture I am soon going to temper my expectations. That's all I am saying here. 

As for Nicholson, I think he's a good player, that's all there is to it. Have you actually watched him play?

I am not saying he is Leon Bailey or anything, but @SpursFlu was scanning the Jamaica roster for dangerous players, so I flagged Nicholson. For me he is arguably around the same level as Larin or Alberth Elis.

His strike rate is actually a little better than Larin's was in Belgium. It is better than Elis in Portugal. He has a better goal rate internationally than both. He's already scored 2 goals against the United States, one of them at the Gold Cup. How many goals has Larin or Elis scored against the states? Not trying to drag down Larin or Elis, but I compare with them because those are recognizable names for Canadian fans. If you look closely though, this "Nicholson nobody" is actually of a similar pedigree.

I get the shoulder shrugging though. It is only because I saw him play that I even knew about him. He never played in MLS and Charleroi are a pretty non-descript club for anyone who doesn't follow Belgian football closely (myself included). This is precisely why he has gone under the radar though, in my opinion. 

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

I hope he forces his way into the 18, or gets a loan. 
I can't get hyped about guys playing youth ball....I just can't. The transition is completely different as we've seen a top U21 EPL club lose convincingly to a bottom table League 2 side. 

This.

The gulf between U-23 and the Premier League is huge.

I really like what I see in the highlights, and I am encouraged by the fact he is training with the first team, but until he actually plays first team football it is hard to say how good this kid is. 

It is a similar story to Millar in my opinion, except at least we have more to go on with Liam, since he has gone out on loan before. It is really hard to judge based on reserve team football. Both of these guys are killing it and I am sure they'll both turn into solid players, but just how good is still uncertain for me, just because of the league they are currently playing in. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I actually think a loan to a League One side is the far more likely next step than first team action. 

Didn’t they just play a game without a forward option off the bench. From what I gather that’s  a big part of why people expect him to get into the lineup in the near future 

15 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Didn’t they just play a game without a forward option off the bench. From what I gather that’s  a big part of why people expect him to get into the lineup in the near future 

That situation makes complete sense, just IMO, it probably isn’t going to happen. I am very possibly wrong, as I often am regardless of topic, but I feel he will likely be protected from too-much too-soon, so won’t be rushed to first team game time with wolves. 

Edited by maccaliam

44 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Corbeanu is playing and scoring for Wolves U-23 and doing very well, as 18 year old. Shamar Nicholson is playing first team ball for Charleroi, who are better than mid-table, and scoring for them. 

But with all due respect to Nicholson, Corbeanu should project to be a much better player, like a Reyna or Musah. However, if he cannot get into the Wolves first team picture I am soon going to temper my expectations. That's all I am saying here. 

As for Nicholson, I think he's a good player, that's all there is to it. Have you actually watched him play?

I am not saying he is Leon Bailey or anything, but @SpursFlu was scanning the Jamaica roster for dangerous players, so I flagged Nicholson. For me he is arguably around the same level as Larin or Alberth Elis.

His strike rate is actually a little better than Larin's was in Belgium. It is better than Elis in Portugal. He has a better goal rate internationally than both. He's already scored 2 goals against the United States, one of them at the Gold Cup. How many goals has Larin or Elis scored against the states? Not trying to drag down Larin or Elis, but I compare with them because those are recognizable names for Canadian fans. If you look closely though, this "Nicholson nobody" is actually of a similar pedigree.

I get the shoulder shrugging though. It is only because I saw him play that I even knew about him. He never played in MLS and Charleroi are a pretty non-descript club for anyone who doesn't follow Belgian football closely (myself included). This is precisely why he has gone under the radar though, in my opinion. 

I know nothing about Nicholson but what you've told me here. I was just commenting on the inconsistency between your levels of optimism for the two players. I don't think anybody is saying that Theo is as big a talent as Reyna, just that he's done very well for an 18-year old over the past 12-18 months and that he's put himself in a strong position to potentially get Premier League minutes over the congested holiday period. We're all living in hope, right now, rather than hard expectation.