Theo Corbeanu

jordan

Just now, Bertuzzi44 said:

His ceiling could be similar to Millar's. And they are similar players too.

Hard to tell. Corbeanu has size, in theory strength but looks a bit like he hasn't fully mastered using that yet. He looks a bit slower yesterday but maybe just lack of match sharpness? If Corbeanu masters and maximizes his physical skills he has a higher ceiling imo. That said I don't think we have come close to seeing Millars best yet either! Switzerland could be the making of him. Both need minutes this year either way.

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Hard to tell. Corbeanu has size, in theory strength but looks a bit like he hasn't fully mastered using that yet.

I said way up this thread, when I was first able to see him with Wolves u23s, that he reminded me of a younger Arnautovic.  A confident big man with skill that relied on the skill without developing the physicality.  Arnie never became a great scorer in the air but when he was switched to being an out and out forward, he straight-out bullied people when getting at the ball or holding it up.  If Theo can develop that even partially and earlier, he would obviously be a huge asset for us. 

What I saw against Mexico was a talented young winger that do what talented young winger do, give the defence problems but sometimes run into blind alleys and have trouble passing out of coverage. He does have a decent long range shot but might rely on it too much.  

I agree he need to play and against first teamers.  Not sure that happens with Wolves this year. Love to be wrong. 

14 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Corbeanu is a good prospect but I don't think we see him much during qualifying, especially if he gets sent back to the U23s or gets loaned somewhere lower in the English pyramid.

At the moment he doesn't make the best 23.

Do we even see Jebbison, Flores or Dias even if they somehow did commit lol. 

Depth, beautiful depth.

Flores for sure but mainly as he is primarily an attacking CM and we just don’t have one of them.  Dias is similar but I think not as far developed as Flores.  If either were an out and out striker or winger, maybe they don’t crack the 23 as we have more depth there.  As for Jebbison, he is a striker/winger where we have more depth but perhaps further along in development than the other 2 so if playing consistent minutes in the Championship, you certainly can see him squeezing into the 23.

Weird to be saying all this. He drew 2 fouls literally getting by his defender. Including getting Gallardo a yellow because of it. He may not be the fastest but he's still a tricky player that's more than capable of drawing fouls because of it.

Despite his inexperience, still came on and instantly won a couple of tackles and nearly getting a goal himself. Decent showing for a young player with limited first team appearances.

FWIW, I think it is way (way) too early to be betting on where his ceiling is.  This is a kid who in theory could break into a premier league team this season.  I know it isn’t likely, but he was around the first team last year quite a bit and you never know what will happen.  Truthfully, he could continue developing into the kind of attacking player that would force himself into our starting 1. Look at where Tajon was a couple years ago and where he seems to be now.  Theo could very well have a similar sort of trajectory.  

6 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Weird to be saying all this. He drew 2 fouls literally getting by his defender. Including getting Gallardo a yellow because of it. He may not be the fastest but he's still a tricky player that's more than capable of drawing fouls because of it.

Despite his inexperience, still came on and instantly won a couple of tackles and nearly getting a goal himself. Decent showing for a young player with limited first team appearances.

Yeah, I'm confused with the hate he's picking up. He was winning balls, running back HARD on defense. He was in our the Canadian corner a few times winning balls. He almost played like a wingback, despite the fact that we already had one on the pitch in reality. He drew at least two, if not more fouls.

The issue Corbeanu had was that the rest of Canada was pretty tired. While yeah, he put himself in a poor position a couple times looking for a pass, he didn't have a ton to create because players were struggling to get up and down the pitch as smoothly. That's definitely more of a problem against good teams like Mexico. 

Aside from that, he played well. He had an incredible scoring chance that almost went in and he had a few other beauty passes. At one point he was wide open as well, but I believe Eustaquio took a poor shot instead (might have been someone else). 

Corbeanu doesn't have world class speed. But he has very good speed. His trickery, creativity, and confidence is what lets him win the ball more often than not though. The fact of the matter is... we don't have a player more confident than Corbeanu except Davies.

Edited by Hawkguy

On 7/26/2021 at 1:18 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Thought I would try to respond to some of the match thread stuff about Corbeanu on here.

(Wolves are also playing a friendly soon) 

Wolves are in a decent place (in my opinion) attacking wise compared to where they were for most of last year, even with Neto out for a couple months and Podence supposed to be back some time next month.   You are not 100% sure what you will get from Jimenez yet but he has been getting preseason minutes, Cutrone is back, you can push Gibbs-White up and wide. There is Traore and Silva.  Ait-Nouri has been playing wide further up in pre-season but maybe just because of absences.  They also have loaned Trincao from Barcelona who has started every pre-season game. 

I guess, to be honest and hopefully not be a downer, when they have mentioned 1st team absences, Corbeanu's name has not come up.  I am generally pro-loans and getting players minutes rather than saying they are in a top league.  Either way there are lots of players looking to make impression on their new managers including the ones he played with most of last season.  A number of those have got minutes in preseason so far. 

So for him and for us, I would like to see him start against Mexico.  Nothing to lose, run at them, give them something they have not seen.  And hopefully get him noticed. 

Podence was awful last year and I haven't seen anything from reports that that has changed. Cutrone is an absolute terrible player (although I doubt Theo gets minutes at Centre Forward regardless). I don't think Cutrone will play if Jimenez and Silva are healthy. He is just a very poor player. 

Trincao will definitely get a long look for sure. Traore may be sold. 

Add to the fact that Lage prefers an offensive style over Nuno's less offensive style... and I think there's opportunity there when he gets back to England.

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Podence was awful last year...

That may be, I do remember him getting yanked at half when we went up 3-0 against Wolves (before letting 2 in and making it squeaky bum time at the end.)   However the reality of it is that despite being injured a fair bit, Podence got 1,600 League minutes to Corbeanu's 8 last year.   And I don't think Nuno is a bad judge of talent.  There are just a lot of established bodies in those attacking places was my point.

Overall, I don't think there is any hate for Theo, just different opinions about being realistic.  I am huge fan but have seen enough Premier League football to know that it can be very tough on a developing kid.   And because I don't think he will get the first team minutes he needs to develop with Wolves - this year-, I would like to see him get a good competitive loan where he will play.  

They still have two more preseason games after the one today, so hopefully gets a chance to impress and kick on.  

3 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

Yeah, I'm confused with the hate he's picking up. He was winning balls, running back HARD on defense. He was in our the Canadian corner a few times winning balls. He almost played like a wingback, despite the fact that we already had one on the pitch in reality. He drew at least two, if not more fouls.

The issue Corbeanu had was that the rest of Canada was pretty tired. While yeah, he put himself in a poor position a couple times looking for a pass, he didn't have a ton to create because players were struggling to get up and down the pitch as smoothly. That's definitely more of a problem against good teams like Mexico. 

Aside from that, he played well. He had an incredible scoring chance that almost went in and he had a few other beauty passes. At one point he was wide open as well, but I believe Eustaquio took a poor shot instead (might have been someone else). 

Corbeanu doesn't have world class speed. But he has very good speed. His trickery, creativity, and confidence is what lets him win the ball more often than not though. The fact of the matter is... we don't have a player more confident than Corbeanu except Davies.

I’m not sure he’s really received hate. I found his lack of speed noticeable too and was slightly disappointed by that. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a very good player though. He had some very good plays, and played well overall I thought. I find Hoilett’s lack of pace noticeable too, but he continues to be a very good player and important to our program. When our other winger options are Davies, Buchanan, Millar, lots of people seem slow in comparison.

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Any guesses?

I think this was expected, glad it's going to happen.

I was worried he would be back to U23s when he needs to be getting minutes and regular minutes vs grown men, not U23s. It would be a while before he cracked the 11 and some sub appearances with Wolves this fall, if at all. 

He's a huge prospect but he needs minutes. Once he improves his 2 way game, which I think will come very very quickly based on his physical attributes and athleticism he can return to Wolves and break through, but he needs those minutes. 

He has tons of support on here, everyone (well 99%) just want to see him keep growing and crushing.