Theo Corbeanu

jordan

22 hours ago, red card said:

DAZN profile - not new content for Voyageurs but we're finally seeing these future gen inspirational videos from a Canada perspective.

Wow love this kid, when he says that one of the reasons he picked Canada was because this is where he was born and this is where he played all of his youth soccer and more or less it just made so much sense to pick Canada it put a tear in this  longtime Canadian soccer fans eyes I have to admit . I’m really hoping this kid has all the success he deserves and is an inspiration for all the young players growing up in Canada playing this game.

Edited by SoccMan

• 4 weeks later...

It is a bit of a risk but they haven't gutted the whole coaching set up so I am sure the new boss will know about him. If he is on the cusp of breaking through and being a first team regular then he likely still will be or will have that chance, if he isn't quite there yet he will go on loan, which isn't bad anyway, he needs match time. The best thing he can do is make the most of his Gold Cup minutes , if anything that will boost his stock more than just being in the pre-season training camp. 

If as rumoured he is going out on loan he might find more suitors coming out of the GC. 

14 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Wolves loaned in Trincão today so I’d imagine Corbeanu’s chances of breaking into the first-team (again) went down a little, unless of course they sell Neto/Adama. 

Having watched closely this year, Trincao looks like a good player, he's tricky, skilful and orderly. Then he's amazingly inconsequential and can't score. And is almost exclusively a right side attacker. So I say he hurts Corbeanu and won't help Wolves much either. 

He doesn't have the most modest of attitudes but I'm not sure they'll sit a player they're paying that much. 

I wouldn’t rule out that Corbeanu, given his age and overall promise, improves exponentially and maybe challenges for a spot. 

Now no two players are the same in their development arc and becoming an established Prem player at 19 makes you a bit of a phenom, but what can I say? The kid is extremely mature, definitely has his head glued on straight and looks like he is close to having the physical tools needed to survive that a very demanding setting. 

Excited to see how it pans out. If not at Wolves, I’m sure he’d have his share of options.

I suspect he will get a shot in training camp after the Gold Cup to crack the line up and if he doesn't, they will loan him to Championship or League One side to get professional minutes.  I agree that at his age you can make big leaps in a few months...or you can stuck and never progress as well.  But he doesn't seem to be a Tabla type so I expect him to be closer to the former than the latter.

9 hours ago, An Observer said:

I suspect he will get a shot in training camp after the Gold Cup to crack the line up and if he doesn't, they will loan him to Championship or League One side to get professional minutes.  I agree that at his age you can make big leaps in a few months...or you can stuck and never progress as well.  But he doesn't seem to be a Tabla type so I expect him to be closer to the former than the latter.

Best thing that could happen would be if he was loaned out

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Can you give your reasonings when you say things like this.  Wouldn’t the best thing be if he could crack the Wolves lineup?   I don’t mind if you disagree, but I just want to hear your reasons why being loaned out is better than getting into the Wolves lineup.

10 minutes ago, Weng said:

Can you give your reasonings when you say things like this.  Wouldn’t the best thing be if he could crack the Wolves lineup?   I don’t mind if you disagree, but I just want to hear your reasons why being loaned out is better than getting into the Wolves lineup.

My reasoning mostly comes down to age but also just looking at the senior Wolves team and looking up against the players he would have to compete with, for playing time you tell me if he breaks into that first team. For young players if they truly want to develop to become better footballers in the future, the only way they do that or benefit from that ultimately is if they are playing regularly at clubs that they are loaned out to. Now am I right or am I wrong on that aspect?

Yeah sure he can stay at Wolves and I of course want to see him do well over there. But if he is not going to get adequate playing time within first team, then wouldn't it be better for Theo to be loaned out? I'm just saying.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

My reasoning mostly comes down to age but also just looking at the senior Wolves team and looking up against the players he would have to compete with, for playing time you tell me if he breaks into that first team. For young players if they truly want to develop to become better footballers in the future, the only way they do that or benefit from that ultimately is if they are playing regularly at clubs that they are loaned out to. Now am I right or am I wrong on that aspect?

Yeah sure he can stay at Wolves and I of course want to see him do well over there. But if he is not going to get adequate playing time within first team, then wouldn't it be better for Theo to be loaned out? I'm just saying.

I agree with your reasoning here, but it's just a matter of poor communication in your first post that's leading to the confusion.

Of course, if he can get adequate playing time at Wolves, you'd want him to stay, because THAT would be the best thing that could happen, right?

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree with your reasoning here, but it's just a matter of poor communication in your first post that's leading to the confusion.

Of course, if he can get adequate playing time at Wolves, you'd want him to stay, because THAT would be the best thing that could happen, right?

Then I do apologize for the confusion 

I think we would all love him to be in the rotation for premier league minutes or at least go to the Championship/1st tier in a smaller country, but the reality is he will have very little say on it.  He will go wherever Wolves wants him to go whether that's Championship, League One or League Two.  At 19 and coming from Wolves, there's very few Championship managers that will be interested in a loan as it's high risk and they're aren't there to develop someone else's player unless the player can be of impact from day 1.  One bad game and he can find himself on the bench for an extended period and the loan becomes a fail.  My guess is League One or one of Wolves affiliate clubs in Europe like Grasshoppers or Famalicao (not realistic).  

4 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I think we would all love him to be in the rotation for premier league minutes or at least go to the Championship/1st tier in a smaller country, but the reality is he will have very little say on it.  He will go wherever Wolves wants him to go whether that's Championship, League One or League Two.  At 19 and coming from Wolves, there's very few Championship managers that will be interested in a loan as it's high risk and they're aren't there to develop someone else's player unless the player can be of impact from day 1.  One bad game and he can find himself on the bench for an extended period and the loan becomes a fail.  My guess is League One or one of Wolves affiliate clubs in Europe like Grasshoppers or Famalicao (not realistic).  

While I understand it is possible he goes on loan and doesn’t get much playing time, Wolves could easily insert a minimum amount of minutes or starts clause (with financial penalty if he doesn’t meet the minimum) in the loan deal. That could understandably scare a few teams away, but there are always clubs in need of players for cheap. IMO a league one club is a realistic expectation with those conditions if there is a small or non existent upfront loan fee, especially if some or all of his wages are covered by wolves.  

6 hours ago, maccaliam said:

While I understand it is possible he goes on loan and doesn’t get much playing time, Wolves could easily insert a minimum amount of minutes or starts clause (with financial penalty if he doesn’t meet the minimum) in the loan deal. That could understandably scare a few teams away, but there are always clubs in need of players for cheap. IMO a league one club is a realistic expectation with those conditions if there is a small or non existent upfront loan fee, especially if some or all of his wages are covered by wolves.  

I agree.  The finances between a loan to a Championship vs League One are quite different, a lot more risk for a Championship team.  League One teams receive more favorable terms from Premier League sides (Championship quality player, Full wage coverage, small loan fee that reduces to 0 based on games).  

If he's playing every weekend, I'm happy.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would try to respond to some of the match thread stuff about Corbeanu on here.

(Wolves are also playing a friendly soon) 

Wolves are in a decent place (in my opinion) attacking wise compared to where they were for most of last year, even with Neto out for a couple months and Podence supposed to be back some time next month.   You are not 100% sure what you will get from Jimenez yet but he has been getting preseason minutes, Cutrone is back, you can push Gibbs-White up and wide. There is Traore and Silva.  Ait-Nouri has been playing wide further up in pre-season but maybe just because of absences.  They also have loaned Trincao from Barcelona who has started every pre-season game. 

I guess, to be honest and hopefully not be a downer, when they have mentioned 1st team absences, Corbeanu's name has not come up.  I am generally pro-loans and getting players minutes rather than saying they are in a top league.  Either way there are lots of players looking to make impression on their new managers including the ones he played with most of last season.  A number of those have got minutes in preseason so far. 

So for him and for us, I would like to see him start against Mexico.  Nothing to lose, run at them, give them something they have not seen.  And hopefully get him noticed. 

14 hours ago, El Diego said:

The way he ghosted past some seasoned Mexican defenders was beautiful to watch. He is a very aesthetic player who will have lots of fans around the world. He still seems quite naive, but that's almost good: he believes he can beat anyone and try anything. That pot shot almost caught Talavera out.

I hope he never fully loses that naivety because it means he will always try things, however, his inexperience did show at times, lots of raw talent, but still needs to learn how to pick his moments.

Edited by LeoH037

In terms of his movement and ball control, my gut tells me his "upside" is higher than Ricketts, Jackson (who did get some minutes in the Prem!) and Akindele but lower than David. I don't think he will become world-class or even a Premier League regular but I think he has the potential to be a mid-table English Championship or MLS regular.

I hope he proves me wrong!