Theo Corbeanu

jordan

I know that Corbeanu's debut kind of got overshadowed by Jebbison scoring in his first start. 

Would Corbeanu re-claim the lion's share of the attention around here if he were to  play again for Wolves and score? 

Jebbison younger and not committed to Canada versus Corbeanu older but cap-tied to Canada and scoring for a club not getting relegated. 

Would be interesting. 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2021/05/18/nuno-calls-on-theo-corbeanu-to-keep-improving-for-wolves/

The Canadian international stepped off the bench in the 82nd minute in Sunday’s 2-0 loss to Spurs to finally make his maiden Wolves appearance.

Corbeanu has impressed for the club’s under-23s and has regularly been involved with the first team.

Now, after making his debut, Nuno was quick to praise him as well as warn him of the pressures playing in the Premier League can bring.

“He made his debut and I’m happy for him,” Nuno said. “He’s a young player in the under-23’s who is working with us almost every day.

“He has talent but I think him, more than anyone else, has the realisation that this is very hard. It’s very hard.

“You can see the way he approaches his duels, he has to become stronger because it’s the high standards of the Premier League that we require.

“I’m happy for him and we realise the talent is there, but it requires many, many other aspects of his game to become a better player.”

Corbeanu, who celebrated his 19th birthday yesterday, has been with Wolves since 2018 after travelling from his native Canada for a trial.

He quickly graduated up the youth levels at Wolves and joined the first team for their pre-season tour of China in 2019.

In 2020 he began playing for the under-23s and, alongside his time training with the first team, he has also found a space on the bench for Premier League games on several occasions.

Corbeanu has also made his senior Canada debut, scoring in the 5-1 win over Bermuda in March.

When asked what he has shown in training to be involved with the first team so often, Nuno added: “He’s talented and is good one-v-one offensively. He’s fast.

“But he needs to improve. He’s 19.

“Like many of our young players he’s one more that we want to develop and take him further into our future.”

The first bolded part is something I noticed in his debut, that he lost a few duels, but I wonder if playing in concacaf this summer will help him in this regard. The competition in WCQ and the Gold Cup should be quite physical, if nothing else.

The second bolded part suggests that he may not go on loan, but remain at the club next season. This is just me speculating though.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know that Corbeanu's debut kind of got overshadowed by Jebbison scoring in his first start. 

Would Corbeanu re-claim the lion's share of the attention around here if he were to  play again for Wolves and score? 

Jebbison younger and not committed to Canada versus Corbeanu older but cap-tied to Canada and scoring for a club not getting relegated. 

Would be interesting. 

I would reiterate that I don’t see this “overshadowing”.  Many of us have been waiting and commenting for weeks whenever Theo gets called to the bench.  Every game people have watched and waited.  Then there was a collective cheer when it finally happened.   And then there was continued cheering about his immediate killer follow-up performance for the U23s.  Nothing there seems underwhelming to me. 

Most of the comments on Jebbison’s thread aren’t people lavishing him with praise - it is just the usual gnashing of teeth that happens over uncommitted dual nationals.  Take out all the speculation and mental gymnastics (which we don’t need to do with Theo - yay!) and it isn’t a disproportionate response.  

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would reiterate that I don’t see this “overshadowing”.  Many of us have been waiting and commenting for weeks whenever Theo gets called to the bench.  Every game people have watched and waited.  Then there was a collective cheer when it finally happened.   And then there was continued cheering about his immediate killer follow-up performance for the U23s.  Nothing there seems underwhelming to me. 

Most of the comments on Jebbison’s thread aren’t people lavishing him with praise - it is just the usual gnashing of teeth that happens over uncommitted dual nationals.  Take out all the speculation and mental gymnastics (which we don’t need to do with Theo - yay!) and it isn’t a disproportionate response.  

The way I saw it was that if you compare the activity in the Jebbison thread versus the Corbeanu thread, it wasn't even close. So yeah I would say Jebbison stole Corbeanu's thunder a bit, at least on this forum. 

That said, you are right that people weren't necessarily showing him with praise, but my point was that attention was diverted away from Theo. At the time I didn't necessarily mean that Jebbison had the better performance, but I mean let's face it, he did. He scored and was man of the match. Throw in the fact he's an uncommitted dual national and yeah you have yourself a hotter topic. 

I just find it funny/interesting that we've been anticipating his debut for so long and finally when it happened it wasn't even the most exciting story in Voyageurs land.

Checking the news and found this SKY interview with him from a couple days ago, I think.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11699/12312589/theo-corbeanu-interview-wolves-teenager-on-premier-league-debut-his-canada-goal-and-global-ambitions

Some national team mentions: 

"It is a success shared with his family. His mother cried when she saw him celebrating within minutes of coming on in a World Cup qualifier for Canada against Bermuda. A huge smile beams from Corbeanu's face as he recalls his family's pride at his accomplishment.

"They were expecting me maybe to come on in the last minute," he tells Sky Sports. "They were not expecting me to do what I did. The coach just said to make an impact. My first touch, I scored a goal.

"It was definitely one of the best moments of my life, for sure.

"That whole trip was like a dream.""

"The season at Wolves is not quite over yet, but Corbeanu has commitments beyond. As many as four World Cup qualifiers await in June as Canada hope to take a step closer to Qatar next year. "We want to be the golden generation who do that," he says."

"I am still a teenager right now but I want to make my name globally. That is my goal, to be one of the best. That is my ambition. To play in the Premier League with Wolves and to get some caps, some starts, for Canada and build from there."

• 2 weeks later...