Theo Corbeanu

jordan

25 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

First thing shown in the highlights. Was 0-0 and Wolves ended up losing 7-0 so pretty tough for a manager to say anything positive.

Surprised a manager would be so critical of that. You see players do that all the time. He was unlucky that the keeper stayed in the middle of the net, that almost never happens. Generally if that is saved by the keeper, it’s by his foot as he dives one way or the other. Or the player chips it over the net. It seemed like a fine attempt, but maybe something about his approach tipped the keeper off to what he was going to do?

I don’t really like those kind of goals where you try to embarrass the other team, even when Ronaldo does it.  But with Ronaldo he has such an incredible history and swagger that even if he didn’t score it he can pull it off.

I’m more of the - it’s a penalty, drill the shot then celebrate after - crowd.  The celebration can either be awesome or conservative- both are always ok.  Nobody ever looks bad after smashing a penalty into the corner and celebrating after and the keeper is never humiliated after some smashes it in and they don’t stop it.

31 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Surprised a manager would be so critical of that. You see players do that all the time. He was unlucky that the keeper stayed in the middle of the net, that almost never happens. Generally if that is saved by the keeper, it’s by his foot as he dives one way or the other. Or the player chips it over the net. It seemed like a fine attempt, but maybe something about his approach tipped the keeper off to what he was going to do?

I agree. The way he took that was actually pretty good. There's a technique to that shot. 
When the goalie doesn't dive to a direction it's just a bad, and he guessed right which saved his face.

My thing with penalties is people act like it's supposed to be a guarantee if you hit it this way or that.

It can be saved. Regardless of how you hit it.

You smash it there's a chance the ball goes over/in the net or wide.
You place it there's a chance of it being saved

It's 50/50.

43 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. The way he took that was actually pretty good. There's a technique to that shot. 
When the goalie doesn't dive to a direction it's just a bad, and he guessed right which saved his face.

My thing with penalties is people act like it's supposed to be a guarantee if you hit it this way or that.

It can be saved. Regardless of how you hit it.

You smash it there's a chance the ball goes over/in the net or wide.
You place it there's a chance of it being saved

It's 50/50.

Well, it’s not 50/50, but I agree with your general point...

8 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I don't think I was very clear, sorry. When Nuno called him arrogant, he wasn't referring to this incident - that was just something the writer included. 

Okay, so Nuno said he was arrogant and that comment was not specifically referencing the missed pk? 

I mean, I kind of see Nuno's point, if that's what he said. I personally wouldn't call it arrogant, but instead I would say he still needs to learn when to turn off the flair? I think that's more fair and consistent with what I saw with Canada (that touch against Bermuda was absurd). I kind of like that kind of player, someone who plays freely and creatively, but I can also understand a manager wanting young players to show they can play safe, when needed. 

I don't know how good Nuno's english is, but arrogant is probably close enough, either way.  

Nuno is leaving so who cares what he thinks. Theo is talented and skilled. Go out there young man and kick ass. Just embarrass them. We need more players like you! This is the problem with the program and us Canadian fans. We have been losing for so long, we  forgot what kicking the shit out of somebody looks like. We want to win but only by 2 goals and by headers from corner kicks. Do we criticize Crosby for doing a lacrosse  move in a hockey game NO. Why because he is expected to embarrass the opponent. I can’t wait for us to play Honduras with our A squad! Remember everyone 8-1 ! 

Edited by SpecialK

9 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I don’t really like those kind of goals where you try to embarrass the other team, even when Ronaldo does it.  But with Ronaldo he has such an incredible history and swagger that even if he didn’t score it he can pull it off.

I’m more of the - it’s a penalty, drill the shot then celebrate after - crowd.  The celebration can either be awesome or conservative- both are always ok.  Nobody ever looks bad after smashing a penalty into the corner and celebrating after and the keeper is never humiliated after some smashes it in and they don’t stop it.

Personally I don't think anyone should consider a panenka goal embarassing for a keeper, or it being attempted an arrogant thing for the shooter. It's a legitimate strategy, just like a keeper guessing on the kick is a legitimate strategy. Calculate the odds. How often does the keeper go left, how often to the right, how often do they wait for the kick? And the shooter, how often to they go left, or right, or down the middle. If the keeper has a scouting report on you that you have gone down the middle in the past, that might slow them down and increase your odds when you pick a side.

15 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

The other week Oliver Platt got all excited about Lamela and argued it was so special and unique, and I had to remind him, on Twitter, that it is normal as hell anywhere in the world that is not fucking Wimbledon and vicinity get your head our of your ass. 

The Corbeanu penalty is an error, though not a terrible one (he thought the keeper would dive) and it does affect the result when going up a goal and being able to defend it might make a difference. 

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Personally I don't think anyone should consider a panenka goal embarassing for a keeper, or it being attempted an arrogant thing for the shooter. It's a legitimate strategy, just like a keeper guessing on the kick is a legitimate strategy. Calculate the odds. How often does the keeper go left, how often to the right, how often do they wait for the kick? And the shooter, how often to they go left, or right, or down the middle. If the keeper has a scouting report on you that you have gone down the middle in the past, that might slow them down and increase your odds when you pick a side.

True, but some penalty takers are able to pull it off because they have the ability to adjust their shot at the last second. They don't just decide beforehand. And usually those are the takers who are mids or are talented passers, who have that amazing ability to adjust a split second before and send the keeper the other way.

Here he did not read the play, but who knows? Maybe they'd scouted the keeper and knew he usually dove to a side, we don't know.

I do admire keepers skilled at stopping penalties.

Sergio Ramos has nearly perfected the paneka penalty but does change it up from time to time.  Like mentioned above, some players are able to change between paneka and a regular penalty at the last second if needed.  They work more than not and when they work they are a thing of beauty (Pirlo paneka for Italy vs England at Euro 2012).  However, when missed they can look extraordinarily bad (Ali Adnan for Vancouver vs LA Galaxy in 2019).

Edited by Corazon

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

Sergio Ramos has nearly perfected the paneka penalty but does change it up from time to time.  Like mentioned above, some players are able to change between paneka and a regular penalty at the last second if needed.  They work more than not and when they work they are a thing of beauty (Pirlo paneka for Italy vs England at Euro 2012).  However, when missed they can look extraordinarily bad (Ali Adnan for Vancouver vs LA Galaxy in 2019).

I'd love to see the statistics by type of penalty. I'm curious if its statistically the correct thing to do but again looks terrible when you fail.

I remember being behind the goal for Cavallini's paneka PK versus Dominica and as the ball floated above the bar I may have cursed a couple times before it fell nicely under the bar. :) 

My bet is, the opposition goal keeper sees a highly skilled, flashy winger step up to take penalty and without knowing anything else thinks “this is the type of guy who will do a panenka” 

Anyway, I’m sure he’ll learn from it and get better. Otherwise, I don’t care if he does 3,000 stepovers a game and drives around in a lime green lambo with gold plated rims, as long as he’s a good teammate and is effective on the field.

He’ll be fine. And I look forward to seeing pictures of his car when he starts playing for the first team 

Edited by ag futbol

GOD I am excited !!!! 

Davies on the left , Larin/Cavallini ( whoever is hot at the time ) and David in the middle and Corbeanu on the right . Plus Hoilett is a great X player. He could be starting or great off the bench. I hope they keep 5 subs

Corbeanu will be playing in the premier league next year for sure! Mark my words. 

Edited by SpecialK