Theo Corbeanu

jordan

17 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

When have we ever taken our opponent a little too casually?

Canada 1-0 St. Kitts and Nevis
Canada 2-3 Haiti
Canada 1-0 Cuba

That's just recently.  Before that I could go with:

Canada 1-1 Belize
Canada 0-0 El Salvador
Canada 0-1 Martinique
Canada 0-0 Mauritania
Canada 0-1 Mauritania
Canada 0-0 Puerto Rico
Canada 0-0 St. Kitts and Nevis

And those are all in the last decade.

But yeah, I get what everybody is saying (except for @Hawkguy, no idea what his problem is).  Just struck me as strange.  Not unlike Occean hotdogging against St. Lucia.

Not trying to be argumentative but I don’t think any (or at least hardly any) of those results came from us underestimating anyone.  I think they are examples of where we played poorly or lacked the creativity to break down bunkering defences.   But that is different than disrespecting teams or writing them off prematurely.  It isn’t like we left important players home or started hot-dogging because we thought we were hugely superior.  I think we have just had a number games where we didn’t do the job against much lower ranked teams. I am hoping those days are behind us.  

Am I missing something? What touch was meant to be rubbing it in Bermudan faces?

IMHO the take down from the cross was a lovely, soft, controlled touch. Or was it the behind the leg cutback? Because I see that as functional too, as it creates space while keeping his body between the defending player and the ball so if the defender dove in, he would be fouled. 

what have I missed?

56 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Am I missing something? What touch was meant to be rubbing it in Bermudan faces?

IMHO the take down from the cross was a lovely, soft, controlled touch. Or was it the behind the leg cutback? Because I see that as functional too, as it creates space while keeping his body between the defending player and the ball so if the defender dove in, he would be fouled. 

what have I missed?

At first I thought it was "Keeper of the Sar-Chasm" worthy, now I'm confused.

1 hour ago, Reign said:

People want to sport to grow, but don’t want are players to play with flair... it’s flair players that will bring new fans. It’s exciting and fun to watch. 

This could be CMNT's first NFT. Seing the purchase prices for NFTs, it could become a new funding stream for the CSA and the players.

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

what have I missed?

He moved his left foot behind his standing right foot and feathered the ball down with the side/back of that left foot.  Something that Ronaldo and Neymar have done. Its incredible skill given the distance the ball travelled and especially to execute it perfectly. I guess @El Hombre felt it was showboating given the score at the time and the opposition. 

Edited by Kadenge

14 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not trying to be argumentative but I don’t think any (or at least hardly any) of those results came from us underestimating anyone.  I think they are examples of where we played poorly or lacked the creativity to break down bunkering defences.   But that is different than disrespecting teams or writing them off prematurely.  It isn’t like we left important players home or started hot-dogging because we thought we were hugely superior.  I think we have just had a number games where we didn’t do the job against much lower ranked teams. I am hoping those days are behind us.  

Yeah, that's fair.  Makes sense.

13 hours ago, maccaliam said:

what have I missed?

Not sure what more space he needed to create.  The closest defender was 10 to 15 yards away.

14 hours ago, Reign said:

People want to sport to grow, but don’t want are players to play with flair... it’s flair players that will bring new fans. It’s exciting and fun to watch. 

Don't exaggerate, it's not "people", it's "person".  I seem to be by myself on this island with this one, which is fine.  It's very clear that the majority of people here disagree with me and enjoyed it.

Edited by El Hombre

18 hours ago, maccaliam said:

what have I missed?

To me it’s so minor it’s not even worth pointing out.

For anyone who has actually refined their technical skills to the level Corbeanu has, sometimes you just end up doing things like that without much thought. Depending on your body positioning, momentum, etc... sometimes it’s the “fancy” first touch that comes naturally. 

Now that aside, I think maybe it’s time to shed the stereotypical Canadian self effacing mentality and actually let our players go out and play, compete, and win any damn way they want to. 

Edited by ag futbol

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Well one thing is clear- Suriname is going to run up the scores so we had better do the same thing just in case we tie them in our head to head game.

Let’s get 6+ goals each game and not take our foot off the gas.  Sometimes qualifying has to be done that way.

Yes, I agree and the format is what it is, we need to score as many as possible and I don't think subbing in the youth will stop that, we should be able to beat Suriname and render gd meaningless but you never know, Theo and Liam entering the match if they don't start will be a good thing!

11 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Not sure what more space he needed to create.  The closest defender was 10 to 15 yards away.

I have just watched it again and now finally see what you were referring to. I still disagree, but at least I understand your point of view.
Having seen it on my phone last night after a few jars, I genuinely thought the behind the left leg move in the image below was what you were referring to:

67A2A875-00AD-4438-86DB-AA5486396FF5.jpeg

22 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I have just watched it again and now finally see what you were referring to. I still disagree, but at least I understand your point of view.
Having seen it on my phone last night after a few jars, I genuinely thought the behind the left leg move in the image below was what you were referring to:

67A2A875-00AD-4438-86DB-AA5486396FF5.jpeg

I get it now.  Makes sense what you were saying.

Unless it is some extreme form of taunting who really cares about his flashy moves up against Bermuda.  He took a small risk and it paid off.  If it doesn't pay off, then it negatively affects his image and perception on here.

I love that Canadians are nice but we need to get over this when our players take the pitch.  Last night I'm watching a bunch of young Mexicans take the field against Canada as if they're going to war.  If they could have beat up 10-0 they would have and that's the mentality we have.  It's instilled in their blood to win at all costs.  The Mexicans likely didn't know too many of our players before this tournament but that doesn't matter.  They knew that we stood in their way to their end goal.  That is what separates great from the good.  And to be honest, I liked the fight I saw from our Canadian boys last night.  They weren't over the top and being a detriment to our team and the game but still showed grit and toughness.

Twitter chatter out of Turkey that Besiktas has interest at the recommendation of Larin / Atiba.

Lazy speculation or actual fact, it’s not clear. Wouldn’t be the worst move. I think the kid should prioritize playing time above all else, although coming into the Prem is certainly a worthwhile goal.