Theo Corbeanu

jordan

14 hours ago, Bdog said:

This play basically sold me on him. I know we can't get too hyped off one game but his ceiling could be pretty high.

That highlight had the opposite effect on me.  Why did he do what he did on that first touch?  Seemed unnecessarily flashy.  Everything else was great, just didn't understand that.

17 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

That highlight had the opposite effect on me.  Why did he do what he did on that first touch?  Seemed unnecessarily flashy.  Everything else was great, just didn't understand that.

Yeah. Years ago, former Whitecap Yordy Reyna pulled a similar needless flashy move playing for Peru against Paraguay. The Paraguayans took him out moments later to teach him a lesson. Guess there's an unwritten rule against that kind of thing. 

https://youtu.be/QuKCxAfPCsA

Edited by BrennanFan

I just hate when we disrespect CONCACAF competition because we automatically assume that we are heads and shoulders above them.  Its when stuff like that happens you have situations where you're leading at half (let's say 2-0) and end up losing (again lets say 3-2) in a knockout game (for argument's sake: like in a major tournament like the Gold Cup).

I love the confidence and I love the swagger.  Just worry about underestimating the opponent.

I don’t read it that way at all.  This is a young guy (still a kid really) who showed some confidence and cajones and decided to take this whole outing as an opportunity to make a statement.  For a long time, we haven’t had guys with that kind of swagger.  Now we are building a deeper team and he wanted to show what he could do - to us and to his new teammates.  

Was the first touch necessary?  No.  But you know what - he executed it, and lots of other nice plays.  I am not going to shackle someone who shows that sort of flair - at least as long as it doesn’t cost us.   And I f you can’t do it in the offensive zone, when 2-0 up, against demonstrably weaker opponents, then when do you get to strut your stuff.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Was the first touch necessary?  No.  But you know what - he executed it, and lots of other nice plays.  I am not going to shackle someone who shows that sort of flair - at least as long as it doesn’t cost us.   And I f you can’t do it in the offensive zone, when 2-0 up, against demonstrably weaker opponents, then when do you get to strut your stuff.  

I just love the fact we have young players who are willing to try these things and take people on.   Obviously in big games against tough opponents you need to be disciplined and pick and choose your moments.  This game though we were in complete control and it was a great chance to work on offensive creativity and letting young players figure out what they are capable of.  Some of Davies's dribbling into the middle would have been inadvisable against Mexico or the US too but this was his chance having been freed from LB to play around with what his true offensive capabilities are.

I get that playing conservative and passing the ball backward  every time you are covered and then cycling the ball around the back 4 8 times is a Canadian tradition.  I've dragged friends and family to a lot of barely watchable Canadian games over the years, live and on TV, and I'm starting to think soon with highlights like this I'll be able to coax them back again 😉

19 minutes ago, Kent said:

Yeah, let's pump the breaks. 1 sub appearance against a weakened Bermuda side. If he can play well again against Cayman Islands, then we can annoint him the Canadian Ronaldo.

I think most of us are just excited for another legit prospect and unlike any we have: that combination of size, speed, and skill on the ball is intriguing.  Obviously he has a long way to go and it's hard to gauge his ceiling yet.  But I haven't seen too many debuts of young Canadians who could put instantly put that much pressure on even a weakened Bermuda defense.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

It’s the beautiful game! Brilliant and effective move. So refreshing to see this in a CMNT game. 

Jogo bonito 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Yeah. Years ago, former Whitecap Yordy Reyna pulled a similar needless flashy move playing for Peru against Paraguay. The Paraguayans took him out moments later to teach him a lesson. Guess there's an unwritten rule against that kind of thing. 

https://youtu.be/QuKCxAfPCsA

Wow did you ever explain that oddly. First, they were winning late. Second, it was a nothing move, and with no player near him. Next, he was absurdly redcarded. 

So Ronaldo is a shitty player cause he's flashy. 

Got it. 

Flash = shit.

We should definitely go back to forwards, who can't even first touch without being flashy.

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah, let's pump the breaks. 1 sub appearance against a weakened Bermuda side. If he can play well again against Cayman Islands, then we can annoint him the Canadian Ronaldo.

I mean.. there's no reason to pump the breaks. Kid should have played in the Premier League already this year. 

19 hours ago, johnyb said:

Being a starter on Wolves is a pretty high ceiling!!

Yeah... I don't get it. Poster has probably seen Theo in one sub appearance against Bermuda and suddenly thinks Wolves is... not good? Wolves is one of the best clubs in England, who had a bit of a falling this season due to serious injuries where key players have missed large parts of the season. 

On 3/5/2021 at 3:02 PM, Dominic94 said:

Id be surprised if he wasn’t called into the squad.

If he was a forward instead of a winger, he'd already have been called. Problem for Wolves is that he's behind Adama Traore and Pedro Neto (Neto is one of the best in the Premier League). He's also behind Daniel Podence who is solid too, but injured a lot this year.

I would probably have no issue starting him over Traore at this point, but Nuno loves Adama.

On 1/21/2021 at 11:06 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Real Sociedad looks to be loaning Willian José to Wolves, with an option to buy; he can play all over the attacking third. So that would take away from Theo getting a look in a pinch. 

On the bright side for Theo, he's been awful. So Theo may yet get some looks or at least not another player in front of him next year.

He succeeded on a major stage in a major moment, it shows confidence and also grows confidence.  Comfortable lead, it was entertaining, it was a good moment to do it. 

As opposed to Brym, who was trying to dribble his way into the box while the team needed a result.  Showed selfishness towards his own team and arrogance towards the opponent.  He failed which will only serve to lower his value to others as well as lower his own confidence.  Wrong decision at the wrong time.

52 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

If he was a forward instead of a winger, he'd already have been called. Problem for Wolves is that he's behind Adama Traore and Pedro Neto (Neto is one of the best in the Premier League). He's also behind Daniel Podence who is solid too, but injured a lot this year.

I would probably have no issue starting him over Traore at this point, but Nuno loves Adama.

Any chance of Neto being sold ?

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

To usher in a new Era of Canadian soccer. It was symbolic, brilliant, and I loved every second of it. 

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I just hate when we disrespect CONCACAF competition because we automatically assume that we are heads and shoulders above them.  Its when stuff like that happens you have situations where you're leading at half (let's say 2-0) and end up losing (again lets say 3-2) in a knockout game (for argument's sake: like in a major tournament like the Gold Cup).

I love the confidence and I love the swagger.  Just worry about underestimating the opponent.

When have the guys on the field ever done what you describe? On this forum, through some of the posts on here sure but who really cares about that?

8 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I just hate when we disrespect CONCACAF competition because we automatically assume that we are heads and shoulders above them. 

For me what’s disrespectful is when teams in the Caribbean can’t get their shit together and put crappy teams together. Honestly what happen to Bermuda shouldn’t have happen. I’m sorry if we were able to get our guys they should’ve been able to get theirs. Also they have some young talent playing in England that should have been called but they didn’t call them and the whole fiasco with their coach. Same with JFF vs their players. Barbados, Has a ton of dual nationals that will never be called up to England. I’m sorry Canada has up its game and I hate Herdman but I do give him credit he got our dual nationals but Tomori ( there is still chance). We should beat the shit out and Embarrass them every chance we get if they can’t get their shit together! President Victor should really put the hammer done on these nations. It’s time to raise the bar in CONCACAF and we should celebrate beating the shit out of them. Because I know Honduras did when they beat us 8-1. I hope we play Honduras pay back is a bitch.

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

To usher in a new Era of Canadian soccer. It was symbolic, brilliant, and I loved every second of it. 

When have the guys on the field ever done what you describe? On this forum, through some of the posts on here sure but who really cares about that?

Well said mate. New Freaking Era by order of the Peaky freaking Blinders. 

C1F47264-8001-4DC3-B9EC-E554CF2F2B81.jpeg

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

When have we ever taken our opponent a little too casually?

Canada 1-0 St. Kitts and Nevis
Canada 2-3 Haiti
Canada 1-0 Cuba

That's just recently.  Before that I could go with:

Canada 1-1 Belize
Canada 0-0 El Salvador
Canada 0-1 Martinique
Canada 0-0 Mauritania
Canada 0-1 Mauritania
Canada 0-0 Puerto Rico
Canada 0-0 St. Kitts and Nevis

And those are all in the last decade.

But yeah, I get what everybody is saying (except for @Hawkguy, no idea what his problem is).  Just struck me as strange.  Not unlike Occean hotdogging against St. Lucia.