Theo Corbeanu

jordan

I think it was a pretty standard situation.  Bring some of your more promising "youfs" in during the busy festive period (the reserves/Premier League 2 take a pretty decent break);  see what they can do during training and use them for cover with often three games in a week (normally).  Sometimes they get a run out in the cup but Wolves drew a tougher opponent than the odds would predict. 

Corbeanu was currently at lower end of the young players put on the bench by Wolves but worth remembering (as mentioned) he is 18 and got maybe one sub appearance in the Premier League 2 before this season.  Lots of time for him and has to be a good experience.  

Since they won, Wolves have another cup game this month against a possibly on-paper easier team, so I see why they might keep him around.  Their Premier League 2 Division 2 games don't start up again until the 18th.

On the bench for Wolves again against an ex-West Ham player I like (Snoddy) and a manager who did a job for us until he didn't.  

Anyway, a must win for both teams in a way, given their ambitions.  But sentimentality aside, a cricket score and a bow for the Canadian would be nice. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

On the bench for Wolves again against an ex-West Ham player I like (Snoddy) and a manager who did a job for us until he didn't.  

Anyway, a must win for both teams in a way, given their ambitions.  But sentimentality aside, a cricket score and a bow for the Canadian would be nice. 

Let me just say that while some may think the contrary, being called into the roster of a top flight club in EPL is a major step. Even if you don't play. Because some match they'll be ahead by 3 and the coach will give him a runout, as long as others also needing minutes are not ahead of him. As you know I follow Barça closely and know the youth players, and those called into the first team mix, to train or sit on the bench, are definitely being groomed. Some may get very few minutes with the first team, others more, but often the only way to get your chance is to stick it out. 

Only thing I would say, however, is that he should be allowed to get minutes with the u-23s, which I am not sure is happening. For example, if the u23 is playing tomorrow at home, he should be given minutes as he is already there.

Not really. What I'm about to say isn't intended as a comprehensive comment on his future. But Sammy Shashoua is a USMNT-eligible player. Made the bench for Tottenham a couple of years ago. Backup at Tenerife in Liga2 this year. Indiana Vasillev actually played for Aston Villa during an injury crisis last year. I think Uly Llanez made the Wolfsburg bench last year.  He's stuck on the bench at Heerenveen for the moment. 

It indicates that you probably have a professional future at some level and you're not just youth level cannon fodder. Beyond that, not necessarily that much.  

42 minutes ago, One American said:

Not really. What I'm about to say isn't intended as a comprehensive comment on his future. But Sammy Shashoua is a USMNT-eligible player. Made the bench for Tottenham a couple of years ago. Backup at Tenerife in Liga2 this year. Indiana Vasillev actually played for Aston Villa during an injury crisis last year. I think Uly Llanez made the Wolfsburg bench last year.  He's stuck on the bench at Heerenveen for the moment. 

It indicates that you probably have a professional future at some level and you're not just youth level cannon fodder. Beyond that, not necessarily that much.  

Those three examples pretty well disprove the entire principle.

Seriously, you don't know how it works, obviously. 

Answer me this: what % of players now professionals on top flight teams in the big leagues NEVER sat on the bench of a that or another top flight team, even if back in their home nation, when young? The vast majority have.

Now this: how many players are in top flight but never were invited as youth players to a first team training session or were never in a call-up?

But I understand that the rules of logic and the experience of history are applied differently depending where you are from. If Theo had been in a league that was applying the 5 sub rule, he probably would already have Wolves first team minutes.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Bar a few players, hard to truly say what a player will do for a career if you look at him at age 18, - for good or ill.   In my opinion. 

Great experience to be with a good first team though and worth remembering that if - as is likely -  he misses the Premier League 2 game on Monday, he will have only missed 2 games with them to this point.  They take a decent break for the holidays. 

As to the result.  Mixed feeling, they need a big win for him to get a chance but them struggling is a result for my club side. 

1 hour ago, One American said:

He just said it was a major step. Not that they’ve made it. I don’t even know what you’re arguing 

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He just said it was a major step. Not that they’ve made it. I don’t even know what you’re arguing 

Everyone knows that most guys in the pro mix at 18 or 20 never pan out as longstanding pros.

But those not in the pro mix at 18 or 20 have far less a chance. There is no comparison.

I can name exceptions, kids who were playing for an u-17 academy team and got called into the first team, played, flourished. Bojan was one such a player, so was Messi, Ansu Fati as well. Guys who basically never had to play with the second team. But most worked their way in, often with extreme patience, moving slowly and systematically up the ladder. Persistence is important--and then, if you feel you are getting old for the second team, you look for the juiciest loan you can find. And hope that gets you noticed to get back on stream for the first team (Liam Millar is our most distinguished case right now, although League One may be a tad low).

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:
13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Everyone knows that most guys in the pro mix at 18 or 20 never pan out as longstanding pros.

But those not in the pro mix at 18 or 20 have far less a chance. There is no comparison.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that extends to North America where players often start their pro careers much later

10 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say that extends to North America where players often start their pro careers much later

If we are talking about NCAA players being “not in the pro mix” I think it is still fair to say the odds are against them. A handful of NCAA grads make it in MLS each year, out of how many thousands of players? I’m not sure how many NCAA soccer teams there are, but probably more than 100 right? Speaking D1 or whatever it is called.

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's coming.

If he wasn't in Wolves plans he wouldn't be on the bench, for like 8 games straight.

I’m sure he’ll get into the cup match Friday, but then I wouldn’t expect to see him again for a while. Not that I have any inside info or anything. Just seems like they are not comfortable using him in the league unless they absolutely have to at this point. Hopefully he shows really well on Friday if he does get to play.