Theo Corbeanu

jordan

12 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Really? Better than Mexican and American '04s? Who is saying this?

A few soccer reporters and journalists who follow the 04’s and USSDA have said that the top 04 borns are Canadians.

I remember I spoke Can PL to Rollins and he said AS Roma specifically was impressed with the raw talent of CDNs.

20 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Comparing us to the USA in football right now is like comparing the USA to us in hockey 20 years ago. Our team was definitely the best, and we had enough other good players to roll out 4 more teams that, with a bit of luck, could medal at the Olympics. However, they had 20-25 players that were good enough on their day to compete with anyone.

If everybody is fit and available, for both nations, our first teams are very competitive. Their second team would probably beat ours most times. Once you get to the third teams, it gets increasingly lopsided, in their favour. We need to start building better depth to support our best first-choice team in at least 25 years.

I remember the US winning the World Cup in hockey 25 years ago. Gary Suter cross check on Gretzky anyone? All we need is Samuel Piette to snap Pulisic's leg and we'll win the next Gold Cup. Nice analogy, ill take it

Edited by SpursFlu

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

A few soccer reporters and journalists who follow the 04’s and USSDA have said that the top 04 borns are Canadians.

I remember I spoke Can PL to Rollins and he said AS Roma specifically was impressed with the raw talent of CDNs.

Again - what reporters or journalists have said this? who? People keep mentioning this without a source. If there are multiple sources that have knowledge of each countries’ 16 year old talent and have done a detailed assessment and concluded that Canada’s is best I would be interested to see that.

Duane Rollins saying Roma is impressed with the raw talent of CDNs is a nice vague comment but it’s not the same.

Just now, Floortom said:

Again - what reporters or journalists have said this? who? People keep mentioning this without a source. If there are multiple sources that have knowledge of each countries’ 16 year old talent and have done a detailed assessment and concluded that Canada’s is best I would be interested to see that.

Duane Rollins saying Roma is impressed with the raw talent of CDNs is a nice vague comment but it’s not the same.

I asked about Rutty over a year ago on Twitter. I believe Aaron Nielsen was the guy who pointed me in the direction but I can’t remember the guy’s name who covered the USSDA.

but from there I was told that Pellogrino may challenge/surpass Rutty.

in terms of people and reporters.... Vanney and Curtis are on record saying that there’s a lot of talent in their 02-04 academy age groups and specially named Priso, Rutty and Nelsen.

Assi was at the impact camp at 15 and got some praise for Bernier I believe.

1 hour ago, Floortom said:Totally disorganized, clumsy and unprepared. Any decent side would have blown us out.

That game wasn’t as nearly lopsided as people are making it out to be IIRC.  Did we not boss possession in that game as well and have some missed chances.  Americans were clinical, we were not and the US scored early which put us under pressure and we did not handle it well, but I put that on Herdman not playing for the draw and asking his players how they wanted to approach it.  Your the bloody coach - tell them what we are going to do.

5 hours ago, Ivan said:

I'm not sure who is "saying" this, but in the last Concacaf U15 Championships (2004s) Canada beat Mexico 2-0 and, from game reports, were full value for the win.  That team was led by Marshall-Rutty, Assi and Mbongue.  Since then, Passaqule, Pellegrino and Abatneh have also emerged (we don't know who has emerged for the US or Mexico).  Flores did not play for Canada or Mexico.

In the semis, Canada lost 2-1 to Slovenia is extra time.  US lost 3-0 to Portugal.  Portugal won the tournament with a 1-0 win over Slovenia.

I know this doesn't say anything definitive, but it is an indicator.

I remember this.

Also just to be clear Mbongue is the younger one and is also rated, perhaps even higher than Priso. Someone here actually posted it.

I know someone asked for reference but the CDN MLS teams 02-04 groups for the most part either smoked the USSDA or were very good teams. Look up the old standings if possible but these guys measure up. 

we also haven’t even seen all of the non MLS academy talent emerge... like Pepple and Coupland. 

there’s a nice healthy debate going on and a lot to unpack.

USA is pumping out on volume and investment, there’s so many pro opportunities there... 

the Netherlands and Germany are powers and they don’t have the same numbers.

quantity doesn’t mean quality. 

MLS doesn’t have a young player quota, Can PL does and I believe they pushed it as far as realistically possible to give CDNs the most time possible.

very soon we’ll have 10000 minutes given to u-21 players at a pro level... we didn’t have that before. There’s 13 options in Canada to turn pro at 16, even 15. We didn’t have that 2 years ago. The highly rated group of 02’s and 01’s and 2000s didn’t get to play and let’s not pretend that the 2 teams of our mls clubs weren’t dumpster fires.

When you lose that much you aren’t developing.

The net has also been cast wider and it’s going to get wider. The CDNs at 16 of today are better than the ones of 07 when TFC arrived, but they’re only reaching maturity now. 

if we’re being honest, the birth year of 2000 and up is really when we can start to say that the MLS teams inspired and influenced those youngsters, and some of them were 7 or so when TFC arrived. The 02, 03 and up are literally young enough to be lifelong products. If anyone hadn’t noticed... the quality in talent has increased in 3 years running accords the those age groups.... that’s with 3 MLS academies.... now we have 8 more pro teams to grab talent from that age...

Americans and their media get way too excited about potential. It is a carryover from basketball & football where 14-15 yr olds were on SI covers, ESPN shows high school basketball & football games & Netflix has shows about high school QB prospects

Saying that, on paper, they have the most talented group in their history today. But assuming this continues into the future where they overtake Mexico is way too early to say. It could be just a golden generation especially given the US is a non-soccer nation and has a mostly dysfunctional development structure.

It also takes a while for a golden generation to come together at the national team level with Belgium being a recent example. So, it remains to be seen if this youngish group of American players can deliver in this WC cycle.

The US was also known post 94 WC to outperform at the national team level while underperforming individually at the club level. That has changed in the past decade.

At times, it is easier to have a few good players like Davies/David at the national team while the rest just need to avoid making mistakes. But the US is weakest in the forward area - a position that can make a difference when the team is having an off day. Back line is also prone to making mistakes defending but look good going forward.

Trying to field your best 11 when you're spoiled for choices also means having above average team management which the US hasn't had in the previous cycle. Trying to field a cohesive 11 is also harder with players coming from different leagues. Mexico doesn't face this issue and are also inherently more on the same style wavelength as a football nation.

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I remember the US winning the World Cup in hockey 25 years ago. Gary Suter cross check on Gretzky anyone? All we need is Samuel Piette to snap Pulisic's leg and we'll win the next Gold Cup. Nice analogy, ill take it

Sorry, the Gary Suter cross check on Gretzky happened at the ‘91 Canada Cup, which Canada won with, I believe, Steve Larmer scoring the winner.  The US won the 96 World Cup of Hockey because Mike Richter stood on his head for large portions of the final series ... 

Edited by Addona

2 hours ago, Addona said:

Sorry, the Gary Suter cross check on Gretzky happened at the ‘91 Canada Cup, which Canada won with, I believe, Steve Larmer scoring the winner.  The US won the 96 World Cup of Hockey because Mike Richter stood on his head for large portions of the final series ... 

The USA were also helped in '96 by the fact that a few of our top players (Lemieux and Bourque, to name a couple, off the top of my head) chose to sit the tournament out.

11 hours ago, Addona said:

Thanks, I was going to respond but was exhausted after reading the rest of the thread 😆

On 12/23/2020 at 2:53 PM, Kent said:

Thanks, I was going to respond but was exhausted after reading the rest of the thread 😆

Thanks guys.. when your a little kid who worships the Great One the trauma makes it feel like yesterday. Anyways the better analogy is Borjan standing on his head and we win the Gold Cup. Also very possible 

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Thanks guys.. when your a little kid who worships the Great One the trauma makes it feel like yesterday. Anyways the better analogy is Borjan standing on his head and we win the Gold Cup. Also very possible 

I remember the trauma of 96. To not win gold is bad enough, but to lose to the USA??? Much worse.

And I have all the time in the world for Gretzky talk. If memory serves me correctly, that was Gretzky’s 7th international tournament, including at the junior level, and the first time he didn’t lead the tournament in scoring (although he did lead Canada in scoring). So I’m not surprised you assumed there was extenuating circumstances for it.

Apologies everyone for the tangent.

5 hours ago, bfque8 said:

oh well, we move for midweek then.

The front 3 played all game so with only 2 days rest, a debut vs Man Utd could happen 😮

I don't know much about Wolves, just going off positions it looks like Theo was the only forward on the bench today. I know they have injuries, is there anyone else right now who'd fill in up top? Obviously the same front 3 won't be playing the full 90 again.

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t think he ends up coming to camp tbh. Shame, but let’s hope Wolves need him because that would go a long long way is convincing Flores.

if his buddy is making the bench regularly in the PL on a top side that’s gotta have some sway on Flores. 

exciting times we live in...

I don’t think wolves will hold him back. He’s making the bench now but it seems unlikely he will get much time on the pitch if any. With the transfer window coming up, I’m guessing Wolves get some attacking options and Theo goes back to the U23s or on loan 

Edited by Floortom