New coach for Canada Women National Team

The Ref

My wife was wondering about Priestman's background today and I found this article from yesterday.  Comes from a very English perspective but gives a bit of her history. 

"Bev Priestman’s road from County Durham to Olympic final with Canada"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/05/bev-priestman-county-durham-olympic-final-canada-women

Gotta say I wasn't at all impressed with the Bev Priestman hire.  She was a buddy of Herdman, from the same small town, and she'd never held a head coaching position.  She was just another assistant we promoted.  Welp, she somehow unleashed Jessie Fleming, something I wasn't sure was ever going to happen.  She picked the right 'keeper when everything I read was that Sheridan was the GOAT in the NWSL.  Her defensive structure worked.  The team scored a few goals, not enough to make me happy but obviously enough to win an Olympic Gold medal.  So, all in all I have to admit I was wrong about her. 

I still think the CSA does a shit job of recruiting coaches, no matter how good Herdman and Priestman have been.

Priestman wasn't just an assistant coach under Herdman.  She was in charge of the Excel program (or whatever it was called), where young players were brought into the pipeline for the CWNT.  So, she would have done a lot of administrative work hand-in-hand with the CSA.  Like with Herdman, the CSA were probably comfortable with Priestman and knew they could work together harmoniously.  I'm guessing that the CSA didn't hire them because they were too lazy to recruit, they hired them because they knew they had what they were looking for.

Coaches do way more than run games.  That's just the small part of their jobs that we see on TV, the part that we can all imagine performing in their place.  Hiring, firing, balancing budgets, recruitment, offsite training regimens, dealing with higher ups and lower downs in the organization,...  You have to consider all those things when making a choice.  When it comes to that stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if the CSA thinks that a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.